GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General GTI Questions

enthusiast1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,
I purchased a 2015 GTI 6MT non PP a week ago. Have a ton of question about the car, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum. When shifting from 1st to 2nd if I release the clutch to fast or give it to much gas I get a horrible sound from the back of the car, has anyone had this issue. I also get weird creaks from the front suspension when I go up sudden inclines while turning. Other than those 2 things the car is solid.

I have been getting an itch for more power but I am a college student and can not afford a clutch job. I have some question related to modification and would really appreciate it if you guys could answer them.

1. Could a clutch stop cause any issues in the transmission over time?

2. With JB1 and JB4 you can costume tune, is there any way to do a conservative tune in a way that would preserve your clutch?

3. I have been reading about muffler deletes in the forum and it seems that people either like them or hate them. Could someone who has one of a full review of it. I do not want to spend the 600 to 1500 for a cutback exhaust system.

4. Lastly I bough the car from auction and it has horrible tires. Could anyone recommend tires or reply with a link to a tire thread.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I would not have touched that car with a 20 mile pole. Your clutch is probably already on it’s way out. There is usually a reason a car is going to auction...btw.

enthusiast1

Passed Driver's Ed
It was a lease return. It did not look abused or anything the interior and outside of the car was clean. It was a dealer auction saw worse looking gtis that were CPO.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
1. Have the creaks checked, likely it's normal. My car creaks.
2. The "horrible sound" in the back may be exhaust farts. More prevalent in DSG models.
3. Map 6 on either JB1 or JB4 is a conservative tune out of the box. It considered a "clutch saver" map and can be run on 91 octane. I turned it down even more due to where I live - warm weather.
4. I love my muffler delete. Not looking to buy a catback. Another option you have is to buy a GTI Clubsport S muffler for a bit more sound, but no annoying drone. Otherwise, play with muffler setups, but that can get expensive if you don't get the sound you want straight away.
5. The most recommended tires that are of good value are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and Federal 595 RS-R (not RS-RR. The RS-RR are grippier, but are not daily driver friendly, unless you can stand the added road noise).

enthusiast1

Passed Driver's Ed
1. Have the creaks checked, likely it's normal. My car creaks.
2. The "horrible sound" in the back may be exhaust farts. More prevalent in DSG models.
3. Map 6 on either JB1 or JB4 is a conservative tune out of the box. It considered a "clutch saver" map and can be run on 91 octane. I turned it down even more due to where I live - warm weather.
4. I love my muffler delete. Not looking to buy a catback. Another option you have is to buy a GTI Clubsport S muffler for a bit more sound, but no annoying drone. Otherwise, play with muffler setups, but that can get expensive if you don't get the sound you want straight away.
5. The most recommended tires that are of good value are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and Federal 595 RS-R (not RS-RR. The RS-RR are grippier, but are not daily driver friendly, unless you can stand the added road noise).

thank you for replying, are you just running a muffler delete or muffler and resonator?

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
thank you for replying, are you just running a muffler delete or muffler and resonator?

Just muffler. Contemplating on deleting res also.

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
I should also add that just because you have the JB1/4 set on map 6, doesn't mean it will save your clutch. Ultimately, it's up to your driving habits. I rarely go wide open, even when I'm carving canyons or doing aggressive daily driving, so my clutch is good for now.

enthusiast1

Passed Driver's Ed
no clean title lots of lease returns come to auction. Manheim is a pretty big auction and dealers have first priority on lease returns.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I'm sure your car will be just fine. Auctions don't mean bad cars. You'll love it. You could always take it to a vw dealer and let a mechanic test drive it to try and diagnose any strange sounds. You'll be under no obligation to pay for any possible repairs.

I was going to do a jb1 with a custom map 6 tune to dial back the tq. Instead I got a Dinantronics module that is really conservative. In the sport plus mode, it only makes 3 extra psi of boost, and it's much cheaper than the jb1 or jb4. The jb1 and 4 are a much more sophisticated products with way more custom tuning options. For example, on a jb1, you can set it to run only 2 psi at 3000rpm and 4.8psi at 5000rpm when the tq is decreasing. (Tq peaks about 3500rpm, probably the hardest on the clutch)

Enjoy the car. This forum has a ton of information. Research everything before you spend money