GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU & tuning software question

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
It really depends on the point of failure. If the oil seals are just blown realistically you could just swap it. You'd have a bit of oil in the intercooler and take some life off the cat but it's not catastrophic as long as it was shutdown relatively quickly.

If the turbo scattered or was driven for an extended period however... Turbo, intercooler, downpipe, and possibly engine internals if she drank enough oil to start running dry.

Either way I'd recommend at least cleaning out the intercooler.

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
Like everyone else said you are out of luck on them replacing it. I would replace it with a newer is38 if you can. You can look through LQK for 2017 is38/is20 with low mileage, but if you ever wanted more power on the car now would be the time. But be prepared for an upgrade fee for software and also DSG tune at a minimum. After my engine blew and took out the turbo I said the hell with it and put on a 2017 is38 with 100 miles for $900. The software upgrades were the killer part.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
That makes no sense to me, to invest in parts that you think are shitty and expect them to break.

But, it's not my money or time. :)

1) It's very inexpensive compared to other turbos

2) There are a plethora of proven tunes and tuning options.

3) If it fails in a non-catastrophic manner, a rebuild is inexpensive.

4) There is a huge market for IS38s, so easier to resell than others.

5) Most of the hybrids are based off the IHI CHRA, so reliability gains are questionable. VTTs turbo uses their own CHRA and may prove very reliable, but this is untested in the real world, so time will tell. Still a gamble at this point.

6) The only proven, reliable turbo for our cars would be the Boss 500 or 600, because the Garrett dual ball bearing CHRA is a fantastic unit, but it comes at a price and is complete overkill for my application.

But then doesn't this cause damage to the rest of the engine?!

Depends on how it fails, and how lucky you are.

Often times you get away without engine damage, other times it can wipe out the whole long block.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

5) Most of the hybrids are based off the IHI CHRA, so reliability gains are questionable. VTTs turbo uses their own CHRA and may prove very reliable, but this is untested in the real world, so time will tell. Still a gamble at this point.

6) The only proven, reliable turbo for our cars would be the Boss 500 or 600, because the Garrett dual ball bearing CHRA is a fantastic unit, but it comes at a price and is complete overkill for my application.

Depends on how it fails, and how lucky you are.

Often times you get away without engine damage, other times it can wipe out the whole long block.

This is a good explanation

So what do you recommend in this of having a plan B for possible turbo failure? Have an extra IS20 or IS38 handy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG

So, what it boils down to, is no other choice. :)

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
This is a good explanation

So what do you recommend in this of having a plan B for possible turbo failure? Have an extra IS20 or IS38 handy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe if you're get lucky enough to have a turbo failure that doesn't take out anything else. It's possible, but it's not that common. Usually when the turbo goes, it's a catastrophic failure.

So far other than the early 2015's this hasn't been an issue unless you are heavily tuned. If you are heavily tuned then it's something you should accept could happen.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI