GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 1.8TSI and JB1

sangeseven

Ready to race!
hello, planning on getting a JB1 this summer, does it work as well on a Manual transmission? is there anything i have to do differently in terms of install. as far as the maps go, once i plug into my computer i can simply choose which map to run on and thats it or do i have to make manual input changes in the software?thanks !

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
hello, planning on getting a JB1 this summer, does it work as well on a Manual transmission? is there anything i have to do differently in terms of install. as far as the maps go, once i plug into my computer i can simply choose which map to run on and thats it or do i have to make manual input changes in the software?thanks !

Nope, the install is identical. The car will start on Map 1 with an increase of 4.8 PSI (George correct me if I'm wrong for the Golfs). If you want to mess around with it more, you plug your laptop via the USB cable that you buy from BMS and you use the JB4 software to change Maps. It is very easy once you are in the software.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Hardest part of the software is detecting the port the jb1 is plugged into, if your not tech savvy. But they provide very easy to read instructions

xGreg

Passed Driver's Ed
Nope, the install is identical. The car will start on Map 1 with an increase of 4.8 PSI (George correct me if I'm wrong for the Golfs). If you want to mess around with it more, you plug your laptop via the USB cable that you buy from BMS and you use the JB4 software to change Maps. It is very easy once you are in the software.

What PSI increase would you suggest on a completely stock golf? (with 93 octane)

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
I ran 5.2 with no issues at all. No other bolt ons. No overheating issues, in Florida all summer long (upper 80's with 1000% humidity). Furthest drive was some 400 miles at 85-90.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Speaking of temperature, how does the device fare during the winter months? I'm considering ordering the JB1 but I live in Toronto and park my car outside all year around. Would I have to remove it once the temperature drops or can it stand the cold?

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
I'm not a very good source to answer this question (see Florida), but I recommend you pose it in the GTI version of this thread. Haven't heard much from the other users about issues on the mk7 Facebook group, and I'm sure someone lives in a cold climate and hasn't taken it off.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Speaking of temperature, how does the device fare during the winter months? I'm considering ordering the JB1 but I live in Toronto and park my car outside all year around. Would I have to remove it once the temperature drops or can it stand the cold?

The unit can remain in the cold. We have many customers that are in your temps. If you have concerns you can add a new optional enclosure we have developed that is a $20 option.

Slick99

Ready to race!
damn i think i m running the lowest boost, hopefully will increase once i install the DP

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Its a plug and play. The minimum should be in the region of 35whp. There is not maximum set at the moment as its not a motor we conducted long term testing on in the long run. There is a car that will push the barrier now and I will post as get information on the gains.
We also do not believe in big boost without supporting mods so its a step at a time.
Hey George, just wondering if you have any info on the car you mentioned in that post?

The JB1 has no can-bus capability. If there is room for a map 2 on the 1.8T US we will put plug and play extension and pull from crankshaft sensor (its easier to create one harness to cover all models and add on if need be). The harness is modular and is also being used on the 1.8T with VVT as found in the Polo GTI and Audi A3.
Can u explain this a little bit...so we don't use plug A on our 1.8's here in NA? What is different and also has there been any work on map2 and/or the harness adapt for the 1.8T? It's why I've been holding out a little, there hasn't been much info at all w/ the Golf TSI and the jb1 it seems.

Last thing [emoji6] I saw the post w/ the mustang Dyno, on the beginning of this thread and just thought the 1.8 was more on the under rated side...w/ more like 180 hp rather than the rated 170, just thought those numbers seemed low...also, I thought the few on the GTI page said they were getting around stock GTI #'s on map1 and closer to GTI PP #'s w/ mods (intake, DP)?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

No issues with the cold reported through the winter season. We have quite a lot of Canadian users. There was a report in Sweden but I need to get the unit here to see what went down. I do not think its temperature related though since the BMW users have had them with the same enclosure for years. Worse case scenario there is a $20 enclosure that will withstand anything for next winter.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hey George, just wondering if you have any info on the car you mentioned in that post?

Can u explain this a little bit...so we don't use plug A on our 1.8's here in NA? What is different and also has there been any work on map2 and/or the harness adapt for the 1.8T? It's why I've been holding out a little, there hasn't been much info at all w/ the Golf TSI and the jb1 it seems.

Last thing [emoji6] I saw the post w/ the mustang Dyno, on the beginning of this thread and just thought the 1.8 was more on the under rated side...w/ more like 180 hp rather than the rated 170, just thought those numbers seemed low...also, I thought the few on the GTI page said they were getting around stock GTI #'s on map1 and closer to GTI PP #'s w/ mods (intake, DP)?

We have just created a new thread here with a explanation of where plug A goes and the opening of the user adjustable map 6.
Here is the link: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17759
A user on here has been conducting extensive tests on us and we will be going to the dyno soon to see the results of the boost levels the car can safely run.

The Mustang dyno is very under rated and those figures would be at least 15% more on a dynojet. Once we get some dynojet figures we will have a idea of the stock power as well.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Just picked up a slightly used JB1 + cable from a user on VWVortex and it should arrive today ;)

He had it installed in a GTI and is set to the 2.0t. From reading around it seems rather simple changing the map (?) to the 1.8t.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Just picked up a slightly used JB1 + cable from a user on VWVortex and it should arrive today ;)

He had it installed in a GTI and is set to the 2.0t. From reading around it seems rather simple changing the map (?) to the 1.8t.
If he used it on Map 1, then you don't need to do anything. If he used a custom Map6, then you will need to change it to map 1, or modify to suit your needs.