GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrades for 2016 GTI?

Muzdub

Ready to race!

fredygump

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey fellas, recently purchased a GTI, have stage 1'd it (APR) and holding off on stage 2 & DP until 36k mile warranty is up. In the meantime, I was looking into upgrading the intake and putting in a motor mount and wanted to hear opinions from personal experience. I've done my research on here but it seems most of what I've found was posted in early 2015.

1. Anyone have a preference or recommendation on a motor-mount for less wheel hop?

2. Any high-flow intakes extra special? (Figured I would go with APR because research has put it at top of the popular pick)

3. When I do go stage two, also figured I would go APR tune & DP based on popular pick - wanted to see what ya'll think. It's my daily driver and I average 12k miles a year.

4. Should I put in a higher preformance inter-cooler to run with APR stage 1 that will also preform well when I ascend to stage 2?

5. Last question, I'll be needing tires shortly. Any particular tires y'all have had good experiences with? Good traction would probably be the main quality I'm seeking.

Thanks guys!

5) I have two things to say about tires:

Do buy a good quality tire. I've had several sets of Continentals, and I have been quite happy with them. I currently have ExtremeContact DWS 06 (on 17" wheels).

Do NOT buy Hankook Ventus Noble S1 Ventus^2. I have had these tires twice--once it was my fault, and the second time it was VW's fault...they were the stock tires on my '16 GTI... Steering feel has a pronounced rubber band effect on the 17", when I had them on my TDI. And the 18" (GTI) does roll over some as well, although not as bad.

I just put the 17" Continentals on my GTI this weekend, and I think they feel more responsive than the 18" hankook.

Last edited:

fredygump

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 this will happen even at stage 1 so youd be better doing the clutch first before the tune or shortly after flashing

The shop that tuned my car recommended the APR's low torque stage 1 tune for me, since I was at ~2,000 miles. He said to wait until I have 10k miles before re-flashing to the full stage 1 to protect the clutch. He thinks that a clutch won't have slip issues after that point.

I did get the low torque version, and I haven't had any problems. And the tune is so much more than "just" more power...it removes all the crap programming designed to make the car easier for novices to drive.

But I admit I am not doing standing starts or dumping the clutch at high rpms. That kind of treatment will probably lead to a slipping clutch even with stock power.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The stage 1 LO APR tune has plenty of owners with slippage issues. No one is immune. It's just a countdown timer, and every car has a slightly different countdown.

This is not a new issue. This is well known, and well documented. If you tune/flash/piggy back, you will HAVE to replace your clutch at some point. Every single example of a tune, flash, and piggyback have some owners with slipping clutches.

ALL
OF
THEM.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The stage 1 LO APR tune has plenty of owners with slippage issues. No one is immune. It's just a countdown timer, and every car has a slightly different countdown.

This is not a new issue. This is well known, and well documented. If you tune/flash/piggy back, you will HAVE to replace your clutch at some point. Every single example of a tune, flash, and piggyback have some owners with slipping clutches.

ALL
OF
THEM.

Facts

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
Sweet, great response Jedi. Thanks man, ordering the dog bone now - One other question. I may have to make a post in another section on this subject. My driver door speaker gives a noisy vibration with any bass. I brought it in and showed them, they checked it out and told me the speaker was vibrating the window controls and there's nothing they can do. Is this a common unfix-able issue or something I should go back and give them some shit about?
Remove the window controls from the door and reinforce it with some sticky tape or padding, then reinstall it.

Darwinism

Passed Driver's Ed
How loud do you play your stereo to vibrate the window switches?

Late response, never got notifications for some reason. I don't play stereo too loud. Bass is only 2 notches over 0 and I rarely put volume past half way. I bought it used at 4k miles and already had to get both back door speakers replaced due to blown out bass. Either the guy who owned it previously (who happens to be a sales rep at my dealership) or the asshat that put a bit over 200 miles on the car through test-driving(I'm guessing someone at VW took the car out for a little road trip or something) cranked the volume and bass to max.

I will speak to VW on it again before my warranty is up because I find it pretty bullshitty. If other GTI's aren't having this issue, it's not "unfixable" as they said.