GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Tint and clear bra done today. A bit bummed as the hood got a few rock dings before I could get the bra on but it is what it is. Love this car.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Smart call on the clear bra. 3m kept my 04's front end pristine for 13 years. Newer paints are all lower VOC. It appears low VOC definitely doesn't adhere as well. I didn't get ppf on my GTI, and I regret it all the time. Touch up pen is well used.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yeah the right drill bits are KEY!! So im all done been so a while doing the lawn now lol.

So what held me up was A. I tried it on stands, had to move to my jacks, couldn’t move tires on stands. After that taking the street shield, grill, bumper off wasn’t too bad. Did the prep, took grill horn things out that was easy, filled horns move air sensor, rerouted sai plug, hammered down air sensor thing, first i tried to dremel it off... ya that didnt work. Then i bent the sai hanger thing, tried to dremel it off ya that didnt work either lol. Next i had to measure my holes and drill. Used the bits i had and snapped 3, went to home depot and bought Milwaukee cobalt style 5/16 and 1/4 bits. Where I personally went wrong was when I tried to prep fit all that stuff on. The bottom clearance L hangers. At first I used 1 spacers that was whatever screwed the nut on.... well thats the big mistake. Nylon locking nuts lock. That boy wasnt coming off once I realized i needed more spacers on the L hanger. Got a migrane went to bed. This am went to wallmart and bought buetane torch and 7/16 drill bit. This is the final right size as jake mentioned in email. Redrilled the holes. Torched the nuts which snapped the bolts. Went back to home depot, bought the right bolts for hangers 5/16” x 4” or something like that. Went home fitted it all. It took a while to hang the FMIC from the as its heavy and my buddy showed up, my holes were not perfect but we made it work, tight as could be. After that, easy part, put cupplers on and clamps and tighten up, put bumper on, plug in fogs, put grill, bottom pan back on, jack down and down. The tips i can give for the next person to do this. Use jacks, buy the right drill bits, go slow and firm. Measure 6 times before you drill. Having a friend helps a ton, first day I was solo. Took it for a test run, no codes, ac is ice ice cold, i think its related lol, didnt do any pulls or logs I’ll do that sometime during the week. Thanks again for the great product. Install isnt that technical at all it just takes a while. Heres some pics ~ GTI Jakes FMIC KIT (Baun Performance)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO happy I drove to your house Jake lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
He does clutches once in a while too. Heard PP GTI's are extra now though :-D
Well if I drove around the country as much as you do, I'd stop by his house again and have more stuff done lol

pwomble

Passed Driver's Ed

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
What time tuesday? I am leaving NY tomorrow morning, probably get to the dragon super early tuesday. Last time, I would up starting on moonshiners around 4am or so.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What time tuesday? I am leaving NY tomorrow morning, probably get to the dragon super early tuesday. Last time, I would up starting on moonshiners around 4am or so.

Leaving my house at 6:30am and planning to meet AtlantaDad & Dutch around 9am in Sylva or somewhere in that general area for breakfast, then heading to the Tail of the Dragon

Subject to change, but the more the better!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Traded it in. [emoji50]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Again???? IDidn't you have a GTI before, then traded for a Malibu, then back to GTI, now back to a Chevy?

jrdigioia

Passed Driver's Ed
Smart call on the clear bra. 3m kept my 04's front end pristine for 13 years. Newer paints are all lower VOC. It appears low VOC definitely doesn't adhere as well. I didn't get ppf on my GTI, and I regret it all the time. Touch up pen is well used.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ve put a clear bra on most of my new vehicles in the last 10 years because of the paint. Had a 2012 Audi that I didn’t clear bra. 1 year later it looked like hell on the hood. Since then I’ve been doing it regularly on cars.
I usually do full front but went with 24 inches of the hood this time.