GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PILOT SPORT A/S 3 + alternatives?

DAS_STIG

Banned
I just got the A/S 3+ installed on Wednesday and am liking them so far, but only driven in the dry. They are definitely softer than the Firehawk Indy 500 and seem to lean a bit more, but then once they settle the car just turns a lot quicker. Less road feel too, but again I am moving from a summer tire. We will see how they cope with winter. I had the DWS on my MKV and like the A/s 3+ more, but I am comparing different generations of tire here. I think the DWS might end up being better in the snow based on what I read though. The DWS simply did not have this much dry grip, but again not sure how they stack up with the newer version.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Forgot to metion that the A/S 3+ are super quiet and comfortable drive. They are new and some tires get louder with age/wear but for now they are extremely quiet.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I went ahead and just purchased a set of the Mich A/S 3+ in 225/40 for my 18x8 Rse 12s.

Interested to see if the hype is real, but the tread wear might be a bit concerning.

They'll be replacing the Conti ExtremeContact Sports I bought back in March of 2017.

~3 years is pretty amazing for a summer tire, but I've kind of come to the conclusion that max performance summer tires are total overkill for a daily driver.

Last edited:

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I'll try this in... Nokian Z-line A/S. Right now, you'll be getting Russian made tires, until their US plant is fully operational.

After being 60% worn, still quiet and comfy ride. Would I run these in the winter? Of course not, I use a separate set of wheels/tires for that. And the lack thereof siping means I wouldn't trust these in light snow.

https://simpletire.com/nokian-p225-40r18-t430070-tires

For its price.... it's really a bargain.

Nokian Zline A/S 235/50r18 Made 3817 From Russia with love by thisistan, on Flickr

Z-line A/S 60% worn, no more water drop symbol by thisistan, on Flickr

DAS_STIG

Banned
I'll try this in... Nokian Z-line A/S. Right now, you'll be getting Russian made tires, until their US plant is fully operational.

After being 60% worn, still quiet and comfy ride. Would I run these in the winter? Of course not, I use a separate set of wheels/tires for that. And the lack thereof siping means I wouldn't trust these in light snow.

Do any all season tires have siping?

Edit -took a closer look at my a/s 3+and they seemto have bit better siping, but nothing like the Blizzaks.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Forgot to metion that the A/S 3+ are super quiet and comfortable drive. They are new and some tires get louder with age/wear but for now they are extremely quiet.

Really? I thought the number one complaint about the A/S 3+ is road noise. They seem fine around town but on the interstate they are definitely far louder than the cheap stock tires my GTI came with. Maybe they aren't broken in enough yet.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Really? I thought the number one complaint about the A/S 3+ is road noise. They seem fine around town but on the interstate they are definitely far louder than the cheap stock tires my GTI came with. Maybe they aren't broken in enough yet.

Could be that they arent broken in, but could also be that it's subjective and I'm coming from Indy 500 that have been beat on track and are quite noisy at this point.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Could be that they arent broken in, but could also be that it's subjective and I'm coming from Indy 500 that have been beat on track and are quite noisy at this point.

There's some tread noise at around 72MPH~. I've had the A/S3+'s for almost a year now. They're definitely on the louder side compared to other tires of the same class.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
There's some tread noise at around 72MPH~. I've had the A/S3+'s for almost a year now. They're definitely on the louder side compared to other tires of the same class.

The Extreme Contact DWS 06 gave me vibration issues at high speeds and overall felt a bit sloppy. The A/S 3+ seems to handle much better but are somewhat noisy on the highway (not a huge deal breaker for me). The only other one I can seem to find in the same performance and price range is the P Zero All Season Plus. Tire Rack actually tested them vs the DWS 06 and A/S 3+ Their big downside seems to be snow traction which could be an issue living in Wi.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

Navi

Autocross Champion
just ordered a set of the Michelin A/S 3+. I was so close to going with the good year tires but no info on them really. Might as well stick with the tried and true. Also my summer tires are PS4S and my winter tires are Alpin PA4, so why not complete the trifecta lol

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
DWS tire line has been renamed as ExtremeContact.

No. It has always been ExtemeContact from the start, from the ExtremeContact DW, which got replaced by ExtremeContactSport and ExtremeContact DWS, which got replaced by ExtremeContact DWS06.

People just didn't reference the ExtremeContact DWS (06) by its full name.