GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping an Audi Cigarette Lighter/12v Socket

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I miss the white illuminated 12v socket from my 2016 Golf wagon. Anyone have the part number so that I can retrofit this onto my 2019 GTI Rabbit?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
yup that’s the one , This is bigger than the factory size hole so you do have to drill out or just trim with a blade to fit this, I was able to trim it just enough and then thread it in place so I didn’t have to remove the console or put on the lock but below it.
Can you provide installation instructions? I'm bad with electrical.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Can you provide installation instructions? I'm bad with electrical.

proper way would be to remove the console, but i didn't want to all all that extra effort for such a minor item.
first pull the fuse for the lighter/adapter for safe measure.
then remove the factory one you can use a metal pick to pull the tabs in and then you'll be able to pry it out.
unplug it from the harness, the usb plug comes with wire connectors and i just modified some male end connectors to fit inside the factory connector.
then to get it you'll have to cut the hole some as noted.
and just thread it in. (you have to connect the wires before you thread it in though so i just left mine long fished all the excess in the hole and twisted the outlet counter clock wise an bunch of times so that as i screwed it in it would untwist the wire, lol.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
or this, $10
Car Charger, Abosi 4.8A 24W Aluminum Alloy Car Charger Adapter Dual USB Port Fast Car Charging Mini Flush Fit

Attachments

• 71PUz4F+OgL._CR0,412,1060,1060_UX175.jpg
    71PUz4F+OgL._CR0,412,1060,1060_UX175.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 411

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
proper way would be to remove the console, but i didn't want to all all that extra effort for such a minor item.

first pull the fuse for the lighter/adapter for safe measure.

then remove the factory one you can use a metal pick to pull the tabs in and then you'll be able to pry it out.

unplug it from the harness, the usb plug comes with wire connectors and i just modified some male end connectors to fit inside the factory connector.

then to get it you'll have to cut the hole some as noted.

and just thread it in. (you have to connect the wires before you thread it in though so i just left mine long fished all the excess in the hole and twisted the outlet counter clock wise an bunch of times so that as i screwed it in it would untwist the wire, lol.
That sounds waaay simpler than i imagined. Thanks!

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
That sounds waaay simpler than i imagined. Thanks!
I used his post to do mine, it really was simple. Didn't order the same one though, but I'm super happy with how it turned out. Getting the OEM socket out without the tool while trying not to scratch things up was the hardest part.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well that was easy!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
can anyone clearly show what prongs in the fusebox the fuse for the lighter is supposed to be? My car was dead as a doornail this morning and i'm assuming its because i put the fuse in the wrong spot and it was drawing a solid 12.6 Volts all night.... ^^ oops!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^thank you! I will verify where it is later. Either that or maybe I accidentally left the ignition on when testing LOL. Car was unlocked, which is never the case, whoops!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well the fuse was in the right spot so i guess i must have left the ignition on by accident haha.