GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Golf - Here It Is. Kinda, Maybe.

waterhead71

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GTI Autobahn
I think the Golf might have the same issue the current Jetta had until the GLI came out. The Jetta was ugly in base model form because the wheels were way to small and had too much ride height. The Jetta looks significantly better in GLI form with the better wheel/tire package and even more so once you go after market.

In my opinion most people who buy base model Golf's don't care about styling that much and want a useful daily that won't break the bank. Which the Golf has been doing for 40+ years.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
I'll wait to pass judgment until the mk8 GTI & R are shown. The base mk7 looks kinda meh compared to the mk7 GTI or R.

I seem to recall that they won't make an R for 2020, so 2021 will be the earliest possible year for an Mk8 R

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the Golf might have the same issue the current Jetta had until the GLI came out. The Jetta was ugly in base model form because the wheels were way to small and had too much ride height. The Jetta looks significantly better in GLI form with the better wheel/tire package and even more so once you go after market.

In my opinion most people who buy base model Golf's don't care about styling that much and want a useful daily that won't break the bank. Which the Golf has been doing for 40+ years.

The jetta is a whale. It's a cosmic sin for FWD 'sporty' sedans to be that big.

Hotsky

Ready to race!

Or they just like the model as it is? And not willing to or unable to pay the extra for the more expensive trim/model. And for average person golf , gti, R they all looks the same.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Someone go find me a thread on an MK6 forum saying how ugly the MK7 was when it first came out.

Many thought the 7 was a bit too big, became a bit too refined and relied too much on tech.

Sent from Winterfell using Ravens.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Here.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46346

What do I win?

I’ve been around VW since 1998, this freak out is normal.

VW isn’t going to screw up their global bread and butter.

Everyone needs to chill.

It got waaay worse than this on the MK6 forum.
When the MK7 hit the US auto shows, several forum members went to the shows, then reported on the forum about how terrible the car was.
Light weight cheap doors.
Hard plastic interior.
Fake carbon fiber everywhere.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Not bad! Keep in mind, this is the GTE Hybrid model. The performance models are going to look more aggressive. I can easily see this looking great with GTI/R styling.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Not bad! Keep in mind, this is the GTE Hybrid model. The performance models are going to look more aggressive. I can easily see this looking great with GTI/R styling.

They always look kind of ratty in pre-production form out in testing too.
We'll see the real thing in it's official release soon enough - and it'll certainly look better.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
And when the mk8 gets to the end of its run the panic will all start again!

This meme from the mk6 thread pretty much sums it up!

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
And when the mk8 gets to the end of its run the panic will all start again!

The thing is, between the MK6 and MK7 the looks didn't change much... especially compared with the MK6 refresh, more of the same, just more boxy if anything....

This time they have taken ideas from what it seems to me like the mazda 3 and Hyundai's.... very elongated lights, more bubbly body panels like the MK5... but obviously more modern with body lines.... going all over the place for no reason, like Nissan likes to do

I had a MK5 and sat idly through the MK6 years, between the two the chasis was almost the same, I was planning on getting a refreshed MK7, as that was a serious upgrade with MQB but i didnt like thre refresh....

It was a preview of what was to come, pulling back the trim, lights, making them larger again, kinda like MK5 lights, the front bumper lost is boxy racy aggressive design for a more Hyndai/Kia elongation, because that apparently looks modern... not awful but not my taste....

Hopefully the MK8 refresh takes it back a notch and they find their originality again.

Someone was saying how you can recognize the MK7 as the successor of the original MK1 with all the looks carrying on, for 50 years, i dont think thats gonna be the case in the MK8...

My issue is with the front of the car, maybe the GTI / R bumper saves it... the rear is still hard to tell, but VW usually makes great asses, hopefully they can keep that up..

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
with the Mk8 getting into YUGE territory, i wonder if they ever relent and bring the Polo over to the USA? or if they follow the herd and do more subcompact crossover/CUV shitboxes.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion