GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading my headunit

Micky045

I think I already know the answer to this but I’m going to ask anyway, just to be sure. So I drive a 2016 GTD, which doesn’t have Apple CarPlay installed. I’ve been quoted £180 for the activation key, which is a bit of a rip off.

I’m looking at possibly upgrading the head unit to the 7.5 model, which can be picked up online for about £200ish. I know someone who would be able to fit this for me for free or a very minimal amount. If I was to do this, would this bypass needing the activation key, or would that still need to installed for me to use all the features of the new head unit?

I’m thinking it would but hoping someone is going to say it wouldn’t. If it wouldn’t, getting the new head unit seems like a bit of a no brainer!

Cheers

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
You're probably going to need the glove box unit too.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
You will need a display, the glove box unit, CP removal and the key. So that will be really expensive.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Micky045

Looked into it a bit more and you’re both spot on. It’s going to take more than just the head unit for a full conversation. After looking st the total outlay of this, I think I’ll just leave it! ��

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
If you have carplay on your current unit then it means that you have MIB 2, so you can just buy a new display( the 9.2" glass display that the new mk7s come with) and you wont need to change anything else for it to work,

Micky045

If you have carplay on your current unit then it means that you have MIB 2, so you can just buy a new display( the 9.2" glass display that the new mk7s come with) and you wont need to change anything else for it to work,

This sounds promising! Are there any telltale signs of knowing which I have? I am getting the “App Connect - you can activate the function by means of an activation key. Please contact your dealer” message when trying to use certain functions. Does that confirm it’s the MIB 2 model?

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Long press on menu button to get part number of infotainment unit.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=173907&postcount=5

3Q0..... is MIB2 and 5G0.... is MIB1.

My understanding is unlike the North American market where Carplay came with MIB2 in the UK it was a £100 option at purchase. £180 for the Functional Enablement Code and install is quite reasonable. Last time I check the activation was $240 plus the installation. There are folks who can sell and install. I can't remember the price and you need VAS5054 to have them remotely connect to your unit. More info is available here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

Micky045

Long press on menu button to get part number of infotainment unit.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=173907&postcount=5

3Q0..... is MIB2 and 5G0.... is MIB1.

My understanding is unlike the North American market where Carplay came with MIB2 in the UK it was a £100 option at purchase. £180 for the Functional Enablement Code and install is quite reasonable. Last time I check the activation was $240 plus the installation. There are folks who can sell and install. I can't remember the price and you need VAS5054 to have them remotely connect to your unit. More info is available here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600

Thanks George, that’s really helpful. Based on what you’ve advised, I’ve checked the part number and it’s 3Q0035874B, which suggests it’s MIB2. This means I would only need the head unit as the glovebox unit I have should be sound?

Micky045

Images

Attachments

• 4B1615B3-7D95-43D3-906A-036B36679C1B.jpeg
    4B1615B3-7D95-43D3-906A-036B36679C1B.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 330
  • 06C3E43C-DD62-42A8-91BA-8C1989650BB7.jpeg
    06C3E43C-DD62-42A8-91BA-8C1989650BB7.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 315