GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission Sound?

MyGolfIsSlow

Passed Driver's Ed
So the issue seems to be a whining or whirring sound when the car is coasting in gear, its not super loud but, you can hear it if you listen for it. I've had this issue since I went to a drag strip and stupidly dumped the clutch and wheel hopped like a MF. The car shifts fine so I do think I destroyed the tranny. But, I'm thinking it could be the clutch but I'm not really educated in this stuff so I'm looking to see what others might think. Any information helps, thanks.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
That sounds like it could be the transmission in the process of giving out. Maybe the gears were warped a little and haven't given out yet.

MyGolfIsSlow

Passed Driver's Ed
That sounds like it could be the transmission in the process of giving out. Maybe the gears were warped a little and haven't given out yet.

It doesn’t have any troubles shifting in and out of gears, and the sound disappears as soon as I push the clutch in. I hope it’s nothing terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
My 1.8 AT does this and was told by a local tuner that they've had people come in for it and it didn't sound like anything to worry about, but I still get paranoid every once in a while so I'll take it in if my transmission seems to perform off. I'd recommend taking yours in to be diagnosed by a professional incase its a different whine that what I have though.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If it does blow, it's not that big of a deal. Replacement 5 speeds are cheap, and we're in the process of getting the software for the 6 speed figured out, which is much beefier.

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
The 6 speed is the one on the Mk6 or Mk7 GTI ? Any idea if it's the same for the EU cars ?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Both. I have the one from the mk6. I think the manual transmissions are the same in the GTI across the world, and I think the only things that change between mk5-mk7 are the gear ratios.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
Throwout bearing, clutch in, bearing is loaded and quiet, clutch out coasting, no load so a rattle or ticking sound. For the auto trans, something I would not have experience with.