GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Lane Assist Camera - Need help with Windshield and trims Part Numbers

I am retrofitting Lane Assist Camera on my

2017 MK7 Golf TSI Wolfsburg Edition (North America).
Vehicle currently has only Rain Light Sensor with Auto Dimming Mirror.

Procurred Camera for my vehicle : Lane Assist Cmra - Volkswagen (3Q0-980-654-F) with the Harness.

With my current broken windshield, its time to order a new windshield., Can someone help me with the right part number for the windshield and the related trim parts ?

Believe, i would need the following based on the VAG picture illustration below -

Camera Cover Plate (5G0-868-437-A-Y20)

Windshield - (5GM-845-011-P-NVB) OR
Windshield - (5GM-845-011-R-NVB)
Camera Black Glass Trim - (Heater) (5G0-862-505-A)

Rear View Mirror AutoDim (3G0-857-511-AM-9B9)
Mirror End Cap Left (3G0-858-634-82V)
Mirror End Cap Right (3G0-858-633-82V)


Those who have performed this retrofit (with glass replacement)., can you please confirm if i got the right parts or may be missing something ?




Thanks for your help and support.
Attached Images
 
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #2
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
The 2 windshield part #s listed above -

Windshield - Volkswagen (5GM-845-011-P-NVB)
Windshield - Volkswagen (5GM-845-011-R-NVB)

is listed for 2017 Golf AllTrack and Sports Wagon in NA Parts site., not sure if these are the correct ones. Also looking at the picture, it appears that the existing rain sensor will go in to the windshield bracket to the left of the camera.

Wondering, if i can still use my existing auto-dimming mirror (7N0-857-511) on the new mount., attached is the existing mounting point for reference.



R
Attached Images
  

Last edited by o_a_ravi; 07-21-2019 at 05:10 PM.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Bump ((())))

Any one to help with the information ? At least with the Windshield Part # will be greatly appreciated.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Anyone ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #5
davide.bonetti
Member
 
Drives: Golf mk7 Sport 1.4 TSI
Location: ITALY
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 92
Lane Assist Camera - Need help with Windshield and trims Part Numbers

send me the VIN privately and I can check for parts. I also need date of FIRST registration for the car (if you bought it used).

I also need to know what kind of roof the car has.
__________________
ciao,
davide
davide.bonetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 AM   #6
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by davide.bonetti View Post
send me the VIN privately and I can check for parts. I also need date of FIRST registration for the car (if you bought it used).

I also need to know what kind of roof the car has.
THanks David., i have PMd you the details.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
davidch
Junior Member
 
Drives: Golf TDI
Location: Charlotte, NC
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_a_ravi View Post

Believe, i would need the following based on the VAG picture illustration below -

Camera Cover Plate (5G0-868-437-A-Y20)

Windshield - (5GM-845-011-P-NVB) OR
Windshield - (5GM-845-011-R-NVB)
Camera Black Glass Trim - (Heater) (5G0-862-505-A)

Rear View Mirror AutoDim (3G0-857-511-AM-9B9)
Mirror End Cap Left (3G0-858-634-82V)
Mirror End Cap Right (3G0-858-633-82V)
5GM-845-011-P-NVB is for the 2016 Lane Assist Camera design. This is square cover off center camera design also shown in your VW manual image. The auto rear view mirror is unique and attaches from the top and cannot be shared with any non-DA Golf vehicles

5GM-845-011-R-NVB is for the 2017+ Lane Assist Camera design. This is the oval shaped cover center camera design. The auto rear view mirror attaches from the rear and can be shared with rain sensor equipped vehicles. Your other part numbers appear to also be with the 2017+ design incl the mirror.

I installed the 2016 design on a 2015 Golf, but would recommend the 2017+ version for your 2017 model. Either will work as long as all the related PNs are in sync with the version you choose. Note, that your auto-dim mirror should work with the 2017 design but is not the exact match used. For 2017 models, all the factory auto-dim mirrors are the new slim type w/o the deactivation button.

Last edited by davidch; 08-27-2019 at 07:04 PM.
davidch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:20 AM   #8
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidch View Post
5GM-845-011-P-NVB is for the 2016 Lane Assist Camera design. This is square cover off center camera design also shown in your VW manual image. The auto rear view mirror is unique and attaches from the top and cannot be shared with any non-DA Golf vehicles

5GM-845-011-R-NVB is for the 2017+ Lane Assist Camera design. This is the oval shaped cover center camera design. The auto rear view mirror attaches from the rear and can be shared with rain sensor equipped vehicles. Your other part numbers appear to also be with the 2017+ design incl the mirror.

I installed the 2016 design on a 2015 Golf, but would recommend the 2017+ version for your 2017 model. Either will work as long as all the related PNs are in sync with the version you choose. Note, that your auto-dim mirror should work with the 2017 design but is not the exact match used. For 2017 models, all the factory auto-dim mirrors are the new slim type w/o the deactivation button.
Thanks for the input Davidch., I have placed the order for the windshield - 5GM-845-011-R-NVB and awaiting for the arrival at my glass installer place. Apparently this part number is a hard to find locally and so in the neighboring states to where i live.

Was able to source the other parts - Mirror and the plastic trims and have it already.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
vw-ac
Member
 
Drives: Golf GT MK7
Location: UK
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 62
Hi guys,



So after considering this retrofit for a while and originally thinking of going down the route of mounting it without getting the windscreen changed, I got a quote for a replacement windscreen locally and the price is good.


I have been informed that the model number for compatible glass for the 3q0 camera is - 5G0845011BL
I notice this is a different number to what is mentioned in this thread, can someone with access to this info double check for me? Is the number different in different regions?

I also have a sunroof, does that makes any difference?

Thanks
__________________
Mk7 GT 3dr | Tungsten Silver
vw-ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw-ac View Post
Hi guys,



So after considering this retrofit for a while and originally thinking of going down the route of mounting it without getting the windscreen changed, I got a quote for a replacement windscreen locally and the price is good.


I have been informed that the model number for compatible glass for the 3q0 camera is - 5G0845011BL
I notice this is a different number to what is mentioned in this thread, can someone with access to this info double check for me? Is the number different in different regions?

I also have a sunroof, does that makes any difference?

Thanks
Did you say you need a new windshield compatible for 3Q0 Camera ? Here is the dealers part website from US, the only windshield supporting camera is -

Windshield - (5GM-845-011-P-NVB) OR
Windshield - (5GM-845-011-R-NVB)
For 3Q0 camera it is 5GM-845-011-R-NVB as per the site here in US and VW Catalog for US/NAR Market. Also since i just installed couple of weeks back, i know for sure that **RNVB is the right one., which comes with the heater by the way.



Also the part number you mentioned - 5G0845011BL, couldnt find a lot of hits on google., except for few Russian sites., so not sure for which region it is.
Attached Images
 
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
vw-ac
Member
 
Drives: Golf GT MK7
Location: UK
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_a_ravi View Post
Did you say you need a new windshield compatible for 3Q0 Camera ? Here is the dealers part website from US, the only windshield supporting camera is -

Windshield - (5GM-845-011-P-NVB) OR
Windshield - (5GM-845-011-R-NVB)
For 3Q0 camera it is 5GM-845-011-R-NVB as per the site here in US and VW Catalog for US/NAR Market. Also since i just installed couple of weeks back, i know for sure that **RNVB is the right one., which comes with the heater by the way.



Also the part number you mentioned - 5G0845011BL, couldnt find a lot of hits on google., except for few Russian sites., so not sure for which region it is.
Thanks for the details Ravi

Yes, I'm thinking of using the 3q0 camera now, the plastic trim around them is neater and more compact, plus I think I can reuse my current rear view mirror.

To be honest, I'm completely confused now. I'm concerned about ordering the wrong glass, but also concerned I might confuse the windscreen fitting company if I ask them to find the right part (I don't want to end up with one for the wrong generation of camera). The part number I got (from someone specialising in retrofits on Instagram) when found online shows as 'green glass' with multifunction camera.
Do you know if having a sunroof changes anything or the glass is the same?

The part number you fitted to your car seems to be a US model number from googling? Whilst the NVB seems to indicate not pre-treated glass?

There seems to be multiple part numbers for very similar glass...
__________________
Mk7 GT 3dr | Tungsten Silver
vw-ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #12
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw-ac View Post
Thanks for the details Ravi

Yes, I'm thinking of using the 3q0 camera now, the plastic trim around them is neater and more compact, plus I think I can reuse my current rear view mirror.

To be honest, I'm completely confused now. I'm concerned about ordering the wrong glass, but also concerned I might confuse the windscreen fitting company if I ask them to find the right part (I don't want to end up with one for the wrong generation of camera). The part number I got (from someone specialising in retrofits on Instagram) when found online shows as 'green glass' with multifunction camera.
Do you know if having a sunroof changes anything or the glass is the same?

The part number you fitted to your car seems to be a US model number from googling? Whilst the NVB seems to indicate not pre-treated glass?

There seems to be multiple part numbers for very similar glass...
Yeah finding the right part online was not a big deal, as long as you have access to good dealer parts website with the catalog. or access to ETKA database.

This is what happened in my case (Long Story) -

1st Try: Called different dealers parts dept, almost no one will help finding the right glass with Camera on it. All they will do is get my VIN number and tell me that the glass w/o camera is the right glass for me. Which is so dumb.

2nd Try: Identified the right glass part number (P and R Code Glassed). Tried calling the dealer to place the order, which they will not sell it to me because they think that the part will not fit my car (checked by VIN number).

3rd Try: Approached a glass installer to get the glass from the dealer, he got the P Code glass for the 5Q0 camera, so had to return him back. Because it will not work for the 3Q0 glass.

4th Try: Asked him to order the R Code glass which was not available locally. So had to wait 2 weeks. But turned out the idiot ordered the wrong glass with out the camera mount. So returned him

5th Try: Another Glass Installer, re-order the correct R Glass after a wait of another week., got it installed. and i did the camera install, wiring and trim pieces myself. THey also asked me to sign a liability waiver form for their protection. Because the glass was not intended for the car plus I am installing a safety camera.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #13
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
And agreed, go with 3Q0 Camera as long as you get the glass and the parts. It seems to be neat. Sunroof should not be an issue with the glass geometry. Because they use the same glass for non-sunroof models as well.

As for the mirror, the old mirror may work., but i went for the latest frameless autodimming one, also the neck is stubbier giving it a neat look.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #14
vw-ac
Member
 
Drives: Golf GT MK7
Location: UK
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_a_ravi View Post
And agreed, go with 3Q0 Camera as long as you get the glass and the parts. It seems to be neat. Sunroof should not be an issue with the glass geometry. Because they use the same glass for non-sunroof models as well.

As for the mirror, the old mirror may work., but i went for the latest frameless autodimming one, also the neck is stubbier giving it a neat look.

Thanks for your help!

What a story... I didn't even attempt calling the dealers, they are useless here. I struggle to get parts from them even when I give them the exact part code, so if I tried to explain this I'd get no where, probably end up getting a windscreen for a different car than a golf...


I've just emailed the windscreen fitters back, just want them to confirm that their supplier has this listed as the part for camera mounting (and if the heater is mentioned (should be an easy way for them to identify it's the right glass)).


I have the autodimming mirror now (just not the frameless one) so hopefully that will fit, if not, will get the frameless one as it looks nice too!
__________________
Mk7 GT 3dr | Tungsten Silver
vw-ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #15
o_a_ravi
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf TSI
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw-ac View Post
Thanks for your help!

What a story... I didn't even attempt calling the dealers, they are useless here. I struggle to get parts from them even when I give them the exact part code, so if I tried to explain this I'd get no where, probably end up getting a windscreen for a different car than a golf...


I've just emailed the windscreen fitters back, just want them to confirm that their supplier has this listed as the part for camera mounting (and if the heater is mentioned (should be an easy way for them to identify it's the right glass)).


I have the autodimming mirror now (just not the frameless one) so hopefully that will fit, if not, will get the frameless one as it looks nice too!
Good luck ! And share your experience.
o_a_ravi is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.