GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 07-31-2019, 02:10 AM   #69
MysticBlueX3

Drives: 2017 Golf 1.8T 5MT Wolfsburg Edition
Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Installed some rear window sunshades. I have 50% ceramic tint but my daughter was still complaining about the sun. With another one on the way, I figured I would add some rear sun shades for the kiddos. I didn’t want to go with a darker tint because of night driving. Was originally going with the much cheaper eBay route ($100). Wasn’t a huge fan that they use double side tape vs the factory shades that uses clips. But the factually ones were a whooping $250! Just my luck I found someone selling a used set in perfect condition for $50 on FB marketplace of all places. Install was a breeze and figment was perfect! I love that you can easily take them on and off and you can open the windows with them installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Tungsten Silver Golf 1.8T 5MT Wolfsburg Edition | Ed's Rep. Headlights | Morimoto Ballast w/ 4500k Bulbs | VWR Sport Springs | Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 et45 | Conti DWS 06, 235/40/18 | StopTech BBK, ST40 Calipers, 355mm Rotors | Maxton Front Splitter V2 | BFI GS2 Shift Knob | SK VeeDubR's SSK | AWE Track Exhaust with Center Exit Rear Valance | Neuspeed Carbon Fiber P-Flow Intake | CTS Turbo Muffler Delete | Helix Subwoofer/Amp | My Journal

Last edited by MysticBlueX3; 07-31-2019 at 03:20 AM.
MysticBlueX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:21 AM   #70
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
“in the way” was more on point though.

Congrats.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:21 AM   #71
MysticBlueX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
“in the way” was more on point though.

Congrats.

Lol. I got it right the first time. Haha.

2017 Tungsten Silver Golf 1.8T 5MT Wolfsburg Edition | Ed's Rep. Headlights | Morimoto Ballast w/ 4500k Bulbs | VWR Sport Springs | Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 et45 | Conti DWS 06, 235/40/18 | StopTech BBK, ST40 Calipers, 355mm Rotors | Maxton Front Splitter V2 | BFI GS2 Shift Knob | SK VeeDubR's SSK | AWE Track Exhaust with Center Exit Rear Valance | Neuspeed Carbon Fiber P-Flow Intake | CTS Turbo Muffler Delete | Helix Subwoofer/Amp | My Journal
Old 08-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #72
MysticBlueX3

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Intake Inlet Vent Mod, Phase I

Like many others, I decided to cutout the driver side intake inlet vent. From the factory, this section is blocked off. Air has to come from the passenger side vent and make two 90 degree turns before arriving to the intake. By cutting out this section, air can go straight to the intake.

Ready for cutting!

Driver side vent. You can see that it is blocked off.

Drilled some holes in the corners. My initial plan was to saw the sides as I couldn’t get a clean straight cut with the dremel.

A in progress pic. It’s not pretty. Got sick of sawing so went back to the dremel.

Finished off the rough edges with a file and sandpaper. All done! Now the driver side is open like the passenger side.

Phase II preview. My plan is to cutout the top sections of the grill on both passenger and driver side. Then I would laser cut some nice vents out acrylic and bolt it to the top of the grill. I would reuse the top 3 holes and drill 3 new holes on the bottom. For a finishing touch, I plan to 3D print some air scoops to mount to the grill. This will divert air from the scoops up through the laser cut vents and into the intake inlet vent. This will be challenging as there is not much room behind the grill. I might go the sheet metal route as it is bendable. 3D printing the scoops would be trial and error, taking multiple iterations to get it right.

On the car. You can see right into the intake.

Also received the euro secondary engine cover. It didn’t come with the threaded ball that it mounts to. Used a M6 socket head cap screw instead. Worked perfectly.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #73
SK VeeDubR

Drives: MKVII R / MK7 1.8TSI
Well this is really coming together quite nicely!

Cheers!

Check out my 1.8T car journal - The CHIMERA - if you like OEM+!
SK VeeDubR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:58 AM   #74
MysticBlueX3

Received the SSK from SK VeeDubR and the bushings from 42DD. Too bad I won’t get a chance to install it for a few weeks. Also picked up a Helix sound system upgrade at 40% off plus 15% VW accessories rebate. Wasn’t high on my mod list but couldn’t pass up the savings. Lol.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 AM   #75
SK VeeDubR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlueX3 View Post
Received the SSK from SK VeeDubR and the bushings from 42DD. Too bad I won’t get a chance to install it for a few weeks. Also picked up a Helix sound system upgrade at 40% off plus 15% VW accessories rebate. Wasn’t high on my mod list but couldn’t pass up the savings. Lol.

Lemme know if you have any questions during install - always her to help, you’re going to be happy with your new kit!

Also, I need info on where you got the Helix!! Message me pls!

Old 08-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #76
MysticBlueX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK VeeDubR View Post
Also, I need info on where you got the Helix!! Message me pls!

Pm’ed you the info!

Old 08-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #77
MysticBlueX3

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Yay! The Helix came. It got here so quick I didn’t realized it’s been sitting in my mail room for 3 whole days!

My first unboxing thought after seeing the wiring harness and instructions were oh man, I’m in over my head. I usually have no issues with mechanical things but electrical stuff scares me. But it doesn’t seem so bad after watching a few YouTube videos. Here’s some unboxing pics. Hopefully I’ll get some time soon to install this along with the SSK. Also, the sub is heavier than I thought. 35lbs according to the ship weight. Not usually a fan of adding more weight to the car. I guess I better go Stage I soon to make up for the added weight, lol.

Name:  IMG_5888.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  237.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5884.JPG
Size:  338.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5885.JPG
Size:  454.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5887.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  305.7 KB
Name:  IMG_5886.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  184.6 KB

Last edited by MysticBlueX3; 08-18-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #78
SK VeeDubR

Helix came! Exciting!!

Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 AM   #79
Bäsemödel

Drives: 15 Golf TSi
one of the best mods ive done to my car...
Helix UUs | deAuto LEDs | Roof Wrap | Maxton Lip | GTI Skirts | Euro R Tails | OEM Hatch Spoiler | 18” Peelers w/Indy 500s | ECS Flush Kit | Koni Special Active Shocks | VWR Springs | 034 RSB w/MOOG Links | 034 Dogbone | GTI Brake Swap | IS20 | JB4 | OEM+ Intake w/aFe Filter | RS7 Plugs | Baun DP | Magnaflow Catback w/ Vibrant Res | Clark Plaid Seats | Helix Sub | OEM Add Ons |
Bäsemödel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:58 AM   #80
MysticBlueX3

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Finally got around to installing the Helix sub and amp. Install was very straight forward. Took me a total of 2 hours. My first impression is it sounds great! At least for radio and bluetooth. Way more mids and lows. You can really feel the bass but not in an obnoxious way. Overall volume is also louder. I'm very impressed. Audio through my phone vis Apple Carplay while louder sounds worse than stock. I haven't programed it with the dongle yet but it sounds like that should fix it. Here are everything I've used. The instructions that came from VW was super confusing. I didn't even touch it.

- VW head unit removal tool (amazon)

- Trim removal tool (amazon)

- Connector pin removal tool (amazon)

- Trim removal instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKJtnaV9CU&t=318s

- Wiring instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59bKOruoJys

- Instructions on how to mount the sub w/ the spare: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31070

- Dongle rental thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45767

A few notes of my own. All the tools are definitely helpful. The head unit removal tool and pin removal tool is a must. Trim removal tool is not necessary but nice to have.

In the video, it showed removing the entire rear seat bottom. That is not necessary. I did not do that. Just popped it up high enough so I can access the rear passenger door sill and feed the harness to the trunk.

Disconnecting the battery is not necessary but recommended. I didn't do it because I knew what I needed to avoid doing. If you watch the video I linked, you will see why disconnecting the battery is a nice safety net.

When running the harness, start with the amp connector and feed it through the glove box and then from the front of the car to the rear. Don't go from rear to front. Also when feeding the harness through the glove box, make sure to go up and over the head unit railing. If you go through the side, the head unit will not fit back into the glove box. It will pinch the wiring harness and the head unit won't go back in all the way.

Photo of all the passenger trim pieces pulled apart.

Photo of using the head unit removal tool to pull the head unit out. Glove box is dropped downed.

Head unit is out!

Harness wired to the head unit.

You can see here the wiring harness runs back and up over the head unit railing.

From the side of the glove box. You can see the harness running over the head unit railing.

When putting the trim pieces back together, start with the passenger L shape floor piece you see here.

Then the thin wavy side trim piece.

And finally the side glove box panel.

Then you can do the front passenger and rear passenger door sill trims.

Helix sub sitting on top of the spare.

Last edited by MysticBlueX3; 09-10-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #81
MysticBlueX3

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Two mods in one weekend! Now that the Helix sub & amp are done, it’s time to move on to SK VeeDubR’s SSK.

This was the first mod that I have done where I didn’t have full start to finish instructions or video to follow. But I think I did ok piecing other DIYs together and doing some detective work on other missing areas (like where do the 42DD bushings go?).

First is removing the intake and battery. Removing the battery and the battery tray was cake walk. But I have to say removing the Neuspeed intake panel (that metal piece under the cone filter) is a PITA. Those 3 rubber grommets are so hard to pull off.

Here is a photo of the stock shifter linkages with the intake and battery out of the way.

Pulling the two shift brackets out was pretty easy. You can see the comparison between the stock shift brackets and the ones from SK VeeDubR.

On the left is SK VeeDubR’s kit. You can see where the spring loaded end links are attached. It is in a different location than on the stock one. It’s closer to the middle so the throw is shorter.

Took me awhile but eventually I figured out where the 42DD bushings went. Here it is with the 42DD design metal bushing installed vs stock plastic bushing.

Here is the other metal bracket with 42DD metal bushing (left) vs stock plastic bracket with plastic bushing.

SSK installed! It took awhile to figure out the two spring loaded end links and the position of where I should clip it to the threaded cable. The location of where it clips to the cable is adjustable and I realized that pushing the cables in and out adjust where the shift knob sits in its neutral position. After playing around with it, I finally found the sweet spot. For the cable on the right (that controls the forward and backward movement of the shifter) I left about 1/2” of the cable exposed. For the cable on the left (that controls the left and right movement of the shifter) I left none of the cable exposed. See final installed pic below.

I did have a momentary freak out when I turned on the car for the first time. It threw 3 different warnings. One was tire pressure, one was DSC, and the other was the front collision sensor. I was able to clear the tire pressure warning by resetting the tire pressure but the other two didn’t go away even after turning off and restarting the car. My immediate thought was did I fry something when I disconnected and reconnected the battery? Luckily, after driving the car for a few minutes, the other two warnings went away. I’m guessing it needed some time to recalibrate. One thing that did surprise me was that all my radio stations were still there. I thought I would have lost that after disconnecting the battery. What I did have to do was to reprogram the auto windows up and down. And also the coding that I did for the comfort windows are now gone. So I will have to recode that.

Overall I’m very happy with the SSK. The shifts feel short and crisp. Shifting through the gears does take a little more effort as the throw is shorter so it does take a little bit more muscle. The 42DD bushings are nice. I imagine over time the stock plastic bushings will wear and the shift will feel sloppy. Next I plan to cut the shifter rode by an inch so the shift knob sits a little bit lower. Big thanks to SK VeeDubR for the SSK!

Last edited by MysticBlueX3; 09-08-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #82
MysticBlueX3

Mystic's Golf 1.8T

Ordered a few more goodies!

First, ordered some 4.5" exhaust tips. I currently have 4" tips and they feel a bit small compared to the 5" opening in the center exit valance. They also didn't have them centered when they installed it the first time around which have been driving crazy every time I look at them.

Photo of currently 4" setup. As you can see, still a lot of room between the tips and the valance.

Link to the 4.5" tips: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26354526903...X:COCE:US:3160

Second, ordered a set of Maxton side skirts for the Golf. For the longest time I thought Maxton only made side skirts for the GTIs. Which means I would have to get GTI side skirts just so I can mount the Maxton side skirts which would be $$$. So happy I came across some specifically for the Golf. This will complete the look of the Maxton front splitter and my rear center exit valance.

Lastly, finally pulled the trigger on a rear spoiler. I entertained the idea of a real clubsport spoiler but it was just way too expensive and the lead time is like 3+ months. In the end, I opted for a clubsport like 3pcs spoiler from AliExpress. I was originally worried about fitment. But as you see on the video in the link below, the quality and fitment looks pretty good. For $200, I'll give it a shot. I haven't decided if I want to keep the carbon fiber or paint it gloss black. One thing I will do for sure is to vinyl wrap the surface around the 3rd brake light gloss black. The actual clubsport spoiler has a separate gloss black piece that covers up that area.

Here is the one I ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...35534c4dFmA5P7

Photo of what it looks like (lucky me the car is in Tungsten Silver too so I can get a good feeling on how the carbon fiber will look on my car). You can also see in this photo how much sweet the rear looks if the surface around the 3rd break light was wrapped in gloss black to blend into the rear windshield.

Last edited by MysticBlueX3; 09-10-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #83
mk7_bk

Drives: 2017 GTI S 6speed
Big can time... nice