GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone with cts catch can?

jiannu

Ready to race!
So I have a cts catch can installed and shortly after I notice I'm topping up my washer more frequently. I even had it to Audi to check for a leak. They could not find any issues. Now what I think is happening is that the fluid is heating up, and since it's now sealed with the new anodized filler cap, the fluid system builds pressure and gets released though the nozzle sprayers. I just want to confirm this with other people that are running the cts catch can.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
Do u have a cts catch can?
The CTS catch can removes the upper washer reservoir and replaces it with just a straight filler neck so your system now holds less washer fluid. I think that's why you got the "are you kidding" reaction. I assume you paid a shop to install the catch can for you so you may not have been aware that your reservoir is now significantly smaller.
If you take a look at the diagram I attached you will see the R has its washer tank split into two sections. The upper section (labeled 7 in the drawing) is totally removed, the lower tank (8 in the drawing) is kept.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 185

jiannu

Ready to race!
The CTS catch can removes the upper washer reservoir and replaces it with just a straight filler neck so your system now holds less washer fluid. I think that's why you got the "are you kidding" reaction. I assume you paid a shop to install the catch can for you so you may not have been aware that your reservoir is now significantly smaller.

If you take a look at the diagram I attached you will see the R has its washer tank split into two sections. The upper section (labeled 7 in the drawing) is totally removed, the lower tank (8 in the drawing) is kept.
I totally am aware of the smaller reservoir but what I dont understand is that I filled the tank a few times already and without using the fluid washers, I would have no fluid in the system. I even brought it to Audi for them to check it. They pressurized the system and confirmed no leaks. I did notice small amounts of fluid discharging from the nozzles at highway speeds and even some water marks in the engine bay right under the nozzles. My guess is the system is heating up the fluid and pushing it out the nozzles....

armstrom

Passed Driver's Ed
ah, gotcha. I suppose that's as good an explanation as any. Should be fairly easy to test. Just remove the filler cap and use something breathable to keep dirt out/fluid in and see if anything changes. A plastic bag with a little pin hole held on with a rubber band should do the trick. If that turns out to be the problem then contact CTS to see if they have an alternative cap that has a vent hole. I don't have a catch can of any kind on my R so I can't comment beyond speculation.

jiannu

Ready to race!
ah, gotcha. I suppose that's as good an explanation as any. Should be fairly easy to test. Just remove the filler cap and use something breathable to keep dirt out/fluid in and see if anything changes. A plastic bag with a little pin hole held on with a rubber band should do the trick. If that turns out to be the problem then contact CTS to see if they have an alternative cap that has a vent hole. I don't have a catch can of any kind on my R so I can't comment beyond speculation.
I will try that and report back. Thanks !

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Too much hassle especially draining it. I have the Spulen OCC but I didn't use their actual can which needed to be drained from the bottom. I used the can from the ADD W1 and it simply unscrews to be emptied. Clean and simple.

jiannu

Ready to race!
Too much hassle especially draining it. I have the Spulen OCC but I didn't use their actual can which needed to be drained from the bottom. I used the can from the ADD W1 and it simply unscrews to be emptied. Clean and simple.
Cts unscrews as well

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk