GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R knock retard question

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That boost curve is very tame for an R. Barely any timing too. Cali 91 sucks. =(

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
This is standard for Cobb OTS maps. Pick up one of our base maps or a custom e-tune and thing will run much better all around.

— Ed

RedRacer

This is standard for Cobb OTS maps. Pick up one of our base maps or a custom e-tune and thing will run much better all around.

— Ed

Just trying to wrap my head around this situation. Why would an ostensibly conservative OTS map from a company with in-house dyno(s), plenty on engineering know-how and multiple experienced tuners on the payroll be so vasty inferior to a tune made by one person a thousand miles away and delivered via email? Does anyone think that COBB didn't actually spend hours and hours or days and days dyno testing their OTS maps and even beta test them in different areas and climates to make sure they were safe for the engine before releasing them to the public? COBB has been supplying OTS maps for turbocharged engines for over a decade now and they don't have a reputation for wrecking engines, at least not when their octane and supporting mod requirements are met. Are things totally different with their VW offerings?

I want a powerful, reliable and consistent pump gas tune for my MK7.5 R and am willing to buy it from anyone or anywhere but the dots don't line up for me on this one.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Just trying to wrap my head around this situation. Why would an ostensibly conservative OTS map from a company with in-house dyno(s), plenty on engineering know-how and multiple experienced tuners on the payroll be so vasty inferior to a tune made by one person a thousand miles away and delivered via email? Does anyone think that COBB didn't actually spend hours and hours or days and days dyno testing their OTS maps and even beta test them in different areas and climates to make sure they were safe for the engine before releasing them to the public? COBB has been supplying OTS maps for turbocharged engines for over a decade now and they don't have a reputation for wrecking engines, at least not when their octane and supporting mod requirements are met. Are things totally different with their VW offerings?

I want a powerful, reliable and consistent pump gas tune for my MK7.5 R and am willing to buy it from anyone or anywhere but the dots don't line up for me on this one.

There are many different approaches to tuning any platform. I don’t personally know how much time Cobb put into developing their OTS maps, but I can tell you that I have spent countless hours developing mine. I think the big factor is that I daily drive my 7R and I’m borderline OCD when it comes to how my cars drive and perform. I can almost guarantee I have significantly more time and revisions in my maps that Cobb does. Another large factor is that I also tune these cars on a daily basis. This means that I have a lot more experience with the platform than any of the Cobb tuners. In fact, I work closely with Cobb’s developers to continue to test and further develop their software. So again, I personally have experience with many more cars in this platform than any particular tuner at Cobb.

Ultimately, Cobb’s OTS maps are not terrible, but there are better ways to tune these cars and that’s where the expertise of tuners like myself comes into play.

Thanks
— Ed

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Because Cobb OTS tunes aren't for a specific car. An email tune as you call it requires logging and several revisions for your specific car. It's as close to an actual dyno tune as you can get.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

In order to properly log, you should do a 4th gear run from 2500 to redline so we can see what the turbo is doing under load, when it is really working and cylinder pressures are at max.

These cars run through 2nd and 3rd so quick you really can't get a good picture of what is going on. If you can't do 4th at least do 3rd on an incline.

Or if you can afford it, book some dyno time and do some logging with proper load. Just my 2cents if you really want to see what is going on.

cripster

There are many different approaches to tuning any platform. I don’t personally know how much time Cobb put into developing their OTS maps, but I can tell you that I have spent countless hours developing mine. I think the big factor is that I daily drive my 7R and I’m borderline OCD when it comes to how my cars drive and perform. I can almost guarantee I have significantly more time and revisions in my maps that Cobb does. Another large factor is that I also tune these cars on a daily basis. This means that I have a lot more experience with the platform than any of the Cobb tuners. In fact, I work closely with Cobb’s developers to continue to test and further develop their software. So again, I personally have experience with many more cars in this platform than any particular tuner at Cobb.

Ultimately, Cobb’s OTS maps are not terrible, but there are better ways to tune these cars and that’s where the expertise of tuners like myself comes into play.

Thanks
— Ed

Been there and done that. As far as other tunes.
My car did not like the Cobb OTS tunes. Actually sent them my logs and they said to revert back to stock tune.
Went to MAP and it was a little better but still not good.
Then went to Stratisfied Pro Tune. Very good and strong, but still had some KR that was high to me. I feel like they cut me off a little short of being clean as i wanted. Mostly my fault as i did not ask for more tuninig as i should have.

However. Went to an EQT OTS tune. 93 OCT. Holy crap. Best logs ever for my car. KR on WOT is mostly flat. I have done a several 4th gear logs on this platform. I also have their TCU tune as well.

My car is 2017 r and i have no mods other that APR intake... just to hear the turbo, not for performance. I have a APR IC, DP, Cat Back still new in the box. Denso plugs in the box. So hope to get installed soon and go pro-tune with with EQT. Now that i feel i have someone who can tune my car.