GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DQ381 Hard 2-3 shift?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Anyone else experiencing this find any real solutions? I recently flipped the throttle program back to "over time" and it seems pretty much as it was. Otherwise, no better or worse on my end.

I thought I licked it with a dsg reset, since that made it go entirely away for a couple days, but it did come back a few days after.

pheare

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else experiencing this find any real solutions? I recently flipped the throttle program back to "over time" and it seems pretty much as it was. Otherwise, no better or worse on my end.

I thought I licked it with a dsg reset, since that made it go entirely away for a couple days, but it did come back a few days after.

I experience this from time to time in manual mode (pretty sure I’ve never had this happen in D, but I rarely use D or S, so can’t be certain).

I know I’ve read posts about others noticing this as well. I just chalked it up to idiosyncratic dq381 behavior and I don’t worry about.

This said, I am thinking about the apr tcu tune, would be curious to know if that fixes things.

Does seem to happen just at a certain combination of pedal position and rpm when shifting.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I experience this from time to time in manual mode (pretty sure I’ve never had this happen in D, but I rarely use D or S, so can’t be certain).

I know I’ve read posts about others noticing this as well. I just chalked it up to idiosyncratic dq381 behavior and I don’t worry about.

This said, I am thinking about the apr tcu tune, would be curious to know if that fixes things.

Does seem to happen just at a certain combination of pedal position and rpm when shifting.
Tune doesn't impact it at all, for better or worse. I've had it since the day it came out and it hasn't made any change in this area. It is why I went back to "over time", though, since the increased clamping pressure made for jerkiness in first sometimes.

Last edited:

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Yeah, not any worse though.

I kinda always assumed that the clutch on 1/3/5/7 is probably somewhat beefier, and doesn't have quite the level of refinement of the clutch on 2/4/6. I'm sure whatever wizardry deals with taking off from a stop just deals with it, and you'd never notice the roughness into 5 or 7 because of the ratio.

I will note that it definitely seems more severe with the AC on than it does with it off. Maybe some load/torque estimation mismatch?

Last edited:

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Word on the street is VW has a fix for this now. Some sort of software change for clutch actuation. Anyone get it yet?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
A bit more info...

Apparently this issue was solved in a DSG software update released in May of this year. The first version with the fix is apparently "1420_OcWY_sw". A slightly newer version has been installed on some other people's cars "1422_OcWY_sw" and apparently also fixes it.

Anyone had any luck getting VW to fix this for them? I've been in contact with only one person that has on this forum, and my local dealership has been mostly unhelpful. Apparently this was released in the VW system as a TPI identified by 2054195/1.

Last edited:

kuyk

Have been following this issue since I got my '18 R about a year ago.

Contacted my local dealer today about a potential dsg update, and they said based on my vin that is was "not possible"...not that it didn't exist. Weird.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Have been following this issue since I got my '18 R about a year ago.

Contacted my local dealer today about a potential dsg update, and they said based on my vin that is was "not possible"...not that it didn't exist. Weird.

I don't get it. Why won't they fix this for us? It seems like it affects thousands of '18/'19 cars worldwide, and a fix is known and in circulation.

I even see reports, on some German and Russian language forums, of people flashing this themselves somehow. Not sure how that works or what is needed, but they suggest it solves the issue too.

There's even one forums in English, for educational purposes, discussing it: https://www.cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=50824&pid=447446. The tools to complete a flash even seem to be there, but I don't have the guts to try that myeslf....lol!

--Matt

Last edited:

dorkultra

I have a TVS TCU tune, BMS pedal tuner and a dogbone insert on my golf R. I still notice the 3>2 harshness, but only when in S mode (regardless of other drive mode). The dogbone insert made it much more tolerable, because i used to notice it a little bit in normal non-S mode

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Had some back and forth with my local dealership (as well as VW corporate). The line I'm getting is that the fix in that TPI is for european cars and "us cars are completely different", which seems like BS since the part number and software version are identical. Nevertheless, I have to go in once more and have them "scan" the car once more. Once this is done, VW corporate has apparently "escalated" the issue and may be able to help somehow. I get the impression this is going to be another wasted hour and a half round trip and an hour or more sitting up there, but it is what it is I guess.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Whelp, I worked with the dealer and VWOA on this...the answer isn't what I hoped. They found the TPI, and acknowledged that it is a problem, but there are some challenges. Any ECU/TCU updates they apply need government certifications (CARB, etc.). They don't have immediate plans to do that, but will contact me if things change.

MiaMk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Whelp, I worked with the dealer and VWOA on this...the answer isn't what I hoped. They found the TPI, and acknowledged that it is a problem, but there are some challenges. Any ECU/TCU updates they apply need government certifications (CARB, etc.). They don't have immediate plans to do that, but will contact me if things change.

wow what a bummer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

What did they say about the TPI?