GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Technical Service Bulletin 2050261/1 to address misfire?

AsymmetricKururin

Car(s)
2017 Golf R

Question:

Is updating the software version for the Engine Control Module (ECM) from v.2 (I think) to v.3 (per TSB 2050261/1) likely to address the problem of "phantom" random misfires and the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) check-engine light?

Background Info:

-- 2017 Golf R, manual transmission, purchased new in 2017 with 16 km on the odometer

-- now 2-1/2 years later, the car still has less than 12,000 km (<7,500 miles)

-- 100% stock, only use top-tier fuel, never driven hard, mostly highway driving

-- oil changes at 12 months (5,000 km) and 24 months (10,000 km)

-- on a hot afternoon in June, at around 11,500 km, I started the car and the MIL engine symbol appeared in the instrument cluster. The car had NOT been running rough, no other indication of problems.

-- turned off the engine and ordered a Ross-Tech VCDS. A week later I scanned for trouble codes and found Misfires on all cylinders (P0301 to 304) and random/multiple misfires (P0300).

-- friend monitored misfires while I drove slowly until the engine was warm. Noted cylinder misfires at low rates 1-2 per 1000 rpm randomly on every cylinder.

-- engine speeds greater than 2200 rpm bumped misfire count to 2-3 per 1000 rp

-- once engine approached normal operating temperature the frequency of misfires seemed to decrease, but did not entirely disappear

Since the problem first occurred, I have taken a couple more short test drives to test possible fixes (fully charged battery, fuel treatment) and watch for a pattern but other than that the car has stayed parked for the summer. Next week I'll take it to the dealership to be diagnosed. I'm sure they'll install the ECM software update but after reading some of the threads on VWVortex, I'm guessing the Malfunction Indication Light is something I'm likely to see again within very few km.

I'm really curious how many people had this problem with random misfires where the ECM software update actually eliminated the instrument cluster engine warning in the long term.

Last edited:

moarhorsepower

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mustang GT, Golf R
I was running the v.1 software and was getting the misfires all the time. Twice a day in fact.

Running the v.3 software now and haven't had one misfire or MIL code.

AsymmetricKururin

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thank you, Moarhorsepower. It's a relief to hear from someone that the software update worked for them. I'll be taking my car to the dealership in about 10 day so I'll post again once I've had a few drives with ver. 3 and rescanned with VCDS.

AsymmetricKururin

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Result of software update for ECM (Engine Control Module)

Dealership ran a scan on my car to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and found exactly what I reported from my Ross-Tech VCDS scan - that is, DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, etc. (misfires on all cylinders). I asked them to update the software version for control module 01 (ECM engine control module), which they did. Then they cleared the DTCs and sent me on my way.

I immediately returned home, grabbed my Ross-Tech VCDS, my laptop and a buddy and headed out for a test drive to monitor the misfire status. The results were disappointing. Time will tell if I am right, but I suspect the software update only suppresses the occurrence of the Malfunction Indication Light (aka check engine light) in the instrument cluster but does nothing to reduce the occurrence of misfires.

The engine was fully warmed up when I started, my test route was 35 km of mainly city driving, with engine speed mostly 2000 rpms or less, and the misfire counts accumulated as follows: Cylinder 1 = 11, Cylinder 2 = 15, Cylinder 3 = 9, Cylinder 4 = 9. It seemed to me that the rate at which the misfire counters would increment was roughly the same as what I observed when I tested prior to the software update. I should add that my engine didn't feel or sound like it was running rough at any point.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has monitored for misfires during a drive. Is the frequency of misfires typical for our Mk7 Golf R/GTI engines?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dealership ran a scan on my car to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and found exactly what I reported from my Ross-Tech VCDS scan - that is, DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, etc. (misfires on all cylinders). I asked them to update the software version for control module 01 (ECM engine control module), which they did. Then they cleared the DTCs and sent me on my way.

I immediately returned home, grabbed my Ross-Tech VCDS, my laptop and a buddy and headed out for a test drive to monitor the misfire status. The results were disappointing. Time will tell if I am right, but I suspect the software update only suppresses the occurrence of the Malfunction Indication Light (aka check engine light) in the instrument cluster but does nothing to reduce the occurrence of misfires.

The engine was fully warmed up when I started, my test route was 35 km of mainly city driving, with engine speed mostly 2000 rpms or less, and the misfire counts accumulated as follows: Cylinder 1 = 11, Cylinder 2 = 15, Cylinder 3 = 9, Cylinder 4 = 9. It seemed to me that the rate at which the misfire counters would increment was roughly the same as what I observed when I tested prior to the software update. I should add that my engine didn't feel or sound like it was running rough at any point.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has monitored for misfires during a drive. Is the frequency of misfires typical for our Mk7 Golf R/GTI engines?

Same as the other thread you posted that in. If it's not setting a CEL don't worry about it. You don't feel or hear the alleged misfires do you?