GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ricky's '19 Great Falls Green Alltrack S

ricky_flowers_

Hey All!

I think this my third or fourth post on this forum, but my favorite things about car forums are the build threads so I figured I'd participate. First, a little background. This is my first VW product, ever. Before this I've had pretty much exclusively Japanese cars.

While I was stationed in Japan for a few years, I DD'd a 1993 Nissan Laurel with an RB25DET swap.

While I was overseas, I bought a 2002 Honda S2000 to be my daily when I eventually moved back to the states. The car I bought had some pretty questionable mods (replica EK foglights, terrible dual catback exhaust that rattled, the WORST tires I've ever driven on) but was really mechanically sound.

Here's what it looked like the day I bought it:

And after a year after cleaning it up, putting some BBS RXs on it, and driving it in Miami traffic every day:

I used to do track events in the Laurel while I lived in Japan, and I felt the need to start scratching the itch, so the S2000 eventually started to turn into a dual-purpose street/track car. Basic mods included coilvers, pads, brake lines, a nice exhaust and a seat. That started to snowball as I got faster, so add a roll bar, wider wheels, R-comps, Haltech w/ E85 tune, and (for a short period of time) a wing.

A few years later, and 50+ track days, and the car currently has a built motor, AP2 trans, built diff with a shorter final drive and OS Giken LSD, custom BBK, KW Clubsports, Volk CE28s for the track and Prodrive GC-07Cs for the street, and.... yeah, kinda went down the rabbit hole.

So, in short, I've always really been about getting on track and pouring time and money into my track car. I've had a daily driver to replace the S2000 since 2015, and they've almost exclusively been crappy cars (1996 Ford Ranger, 2000 Honda CR-V, 2015 Honda Fit LX). I just graduated college, though, and I wanted to get myself something I've always wanted since I was a kid: a nice, classy station wagon. My first thought was to go the used route, and find an A4/6 Avant, E39 Touring, or even an E-class wagon, but I really didn't want to have TWO project cars needing constant maintenance. I also wanted something with newer infotainment, and a good stereo. I was casually looking at Subaru Outbacks (I still cringe when I think about that) when I ran a search for "manual station wagons under 25k" and started seeing Alltracks pop up. Up to this point, I don't think I knew this model existed in the states, as they're SUPER rare in South Florida and VW does nothing to market them. I was shocked that you could buy basically my unicorn-spec wagon for as little as $23,000, or less than that when you factor in discounts. After doing some research, driving as many as I could, and consulting with all my VAG friends, I decided that this was the car for me. I found the exact spec I wanted in Florence, SC, called them and negotiated the sale over the phone. I flew up 5 days later to pick the car up and drive it home.

You can tell by the photo that I'm HYPE:

I have a few things planned for it, but right now I'm leaving it mostly stock. I've installed a Helix sub/amp, tinted the windows, and bought the VW cross bars for the car to carry my kayak.

Helix sub installed:

MuddyBuddy cargo liner:

Easily swallows up three sets of track wheels and tires:

This thing makes the PERFECT compliment to my S2000, as one is a knife-edge, raw, manual sports car and the other is a classy, understated, spacious couch. Overall, could not be happier. I eventually plan on doing some sort of ECU and DSG tune, a headlight upgrade, wheels/tires, and some suspension upgrade. I haven't decided on whether I want to go higher or lower, but I'm a bit of a suspension nerd and want to improve the quality of the ride, without sacrificing handling. I'll likely go with an off-the-shelf KW setup, as I LOVE the KWs in my track car and it should be a pretty painless upgrade. I'm open to suggestions from all of you, as this is my first foray into the VAG world and I'm learning just how versatile and easy to mod these cars are daily.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

ricky_flowers_

Welcome and enjoy.
Nice interior colors.
Good luck on limited mode.
Let us know when you turn it into an R!

Thanks man! I'm never going to go full-R on this thing, as I REALLY like my warranty, but I would be thrilled with a bit more horsepower. I know it's a slippery slope, but believe me the S2000 eats up the majority of my car-mod money.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Nice!
You did great things with the S2K so I'm looking forward to seeing the route you take with the VW.
The best color combo there is.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sounds like a jb4 is in your future. Great color combo! Welcome to the madness. If you end up getting a jb4, the member known as "diggs" will ne your go to guy. Also, nice s2k!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Thanks man! I'm never going to go full-R on this thing, as I REALLY like my warranty, but I would be thrilled with a bit more horsepower. I know it's a slippery slope, but believe me the S2000 eats up the majority of my car-mod money.

Dude! S2000 lookin hot. Looks great with the BBS RX's and CE30 :D

Check out the JB4! I recently picked one up again after running it for a while in my old GTI. Very easy to install, great resale value, and isn't a flash tune (so your warranty should be intact). Mine arrives in a few days... I'm sure it's a good enough power bump from stock!

Initially wanted to go all out hybrid turbo w/e but decided to hold back for now because the supporting mods (Intercooler, downpipe, etc) is indeed a slippery slope. Will see if JB4 and possibly IS20 (GTI turbo) will be enough hah.

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats! Great color combo [emoji108]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
X2 on color/interior combo... if I did this whole thing again, that’s exactly what I would get

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
"went down the rabbit hole". with the S2000..

..& then proceeds to join this forum....:D:D:D

how does sir want his credit card cooked??……:cool:

ricky_flowers_

Nice!
You did great things with the S2K so I'm looking forward to seeing the route you take with the VW.
The best color combo there is.

Thanks!

Sounds like a jb4 is in your future. Great color combo! Welcome to the madness. If you end up getting a jb4, the member known as "diggs" will ne your go to guy. Also, nice s2k!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lol, I wasn't going to do a JB4 until next year, but after having put around 3000 miles on this thing already I think it's time :D

Dude! S2000 lookin hot. Looks great with the BBS RX's and CE30 :D

Check out the JB4! I recently picked one up again after running it for a while in my old GTI. Very easy to install, great resale value, and isn't a flash tune (so your warranty should be intact). Mine arrives in a few days... I'm sure it's a good enough power bump from stock!

Initially wanted to go all out hybrid turbo w/e but decided to hold back for now because the supporting mods (Intercooler, downpipe, etc) is indeed a slippery slope. Will see if JB4 and possibly IS20 (GTI turbo) will be enough hah.

I think long term the answer is JB4 and IS20. I don't want the car to be any louder, just faster.

Congrats! Great color combo [emoji108]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Thank you!

X2 on color/interior combo... if I did this whole thing again, that’s exactly what I would get

Yeah, I regretted getting a silver S2000, and ever since I've wanted a car in a funky color. This is about as funky as it gets for this model haha. I guess the S2000 being silver will make it much easier for me to paint it Technoviolet in a few years.... :cool:

"went down the rabbit hole". with the S2000..

..& then proceeds to join this forum....:D:D:D

how does sir want his credit card cooked??……:cool:

Yeah, I've heard this place and especially the vortex are a terrible idea if you want to keep your car stock. I can't leave anything stock anyways so there's no point fighting it haha. The S2000 was definitely a "jump down the rabbit hole head-first" kind of car though. This thing has a warranty, and is quiet and comfortable so I'm faaaaarrrr less inclined to ruin it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah, I've heard this place and especially the vortex are a terrible idea if you want to keep your car stock. I can't leave anything stock anyways so there's no point fighting it haha. The S2000 was definitely a "jump down the rabbit hole head-first" kind of car though. This thing has a warranty, and is quiet and comfortable so I'm faaaaarrrr less inclined to ruin it.

You have obviously not read my list of "How to guides"...most of which retro-fit OEM VW parts made for the car..(some would be applicable to yours)..they do not affect the warranty.....:cool:

ricky_flowers_

So, since the last update I've done a few little things to the car.

First and foremost, I programmed the Helix sub/amp using the programmer rented from snobrdrdan. It made a huge difference in the way the system sounded, and I'm very happy I was able to rent the dongle and program it without having to buy the dongle itself. Thanks again, Dan!

I also had tint installed on all windows except the windshield. I went with 20% carbon tint. Florida law allows for 28% tint on the front side windows, and 15% everywhere else so I doubt I'll get pulled over or questioned for it. To me, tint down here is a must-have, as it's hot as hell in the summers. The AC in the car keeps the interior cooler with much less effort than before, and I don't feel like I'm driving around in a fish bowl. Also, I think it makes the car look pretty cool haha.

Lastly, I performed a light paint decon and polish, and applied Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light to all paint and windows. I went with CSL as I've heard nothing but good things about the product and how easy it was to apply, compared to some other ceramic coatings out there. I'm not a professional detailer by any means, so ease-of-use was definitely a consideration for me. To this point I've used pretty much nothing but Optimum products like Glosss Coat on my S2000, so I was willing to try something newer and potentially better. The hydrophobic properties of this coating are insane - water sheets off the moment I move away from my parking spot when the car has been sitting parked in a rain storm. I haven't done the cladding yet, but that's definitely on the list of stuff to tackle in the immediate future. Some of the glue from the delivery plastic is stuck in the cladding in places, like behind the driver side rear wheel, so I need to figure out a way to remove it first, then apply the coating.

Honestly, I thought I'd do these things and be done for a while, but I'm sure most of you know that's not how it works when you're a car enthusiast haha. I've grown weary of the below-average light output from the non-driver assistance pack "base" halogen headlights, so I ordered a set of BEC Golf R replica lights with a Morimoto 5500k HID kit. Hopefully, this will address one of the biggest shortcomings of this car, and will bring the exterior styling all the way into the 21st century. My S2000's stock HID projectors are still some of the absolute best headlights I've ever used, and I've never owned a daily that has had a comparably good set of headlights. Hopefully that changes soon.

I'm also kicking around the idea of just sucking it up and getting a JB4, but I think I'll stay on the stock tune for a while longer. While not a rocketship by any means, this thing has enough power to get out of its own way, which is honestly enough for me in a daily driver. The temptation is great, though, as you can find crazy deals on used JB4s. I'm loving that this thing takes 87, though, so I think I'm going to hold out until at least January. We'll see how long that lasts.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
How do you like the 20% at night? I am getting my car tinted Saturday and am trying to decide how dark I want to go. I'm thinking 50% front and 30% rear but your 20% looks really nice.

Also, I was thinking I'd hold off on the JB4 for a while, but I ended up grabbing one used on the classifieds here and I can't go back to the stock tune lol. The power level feels perfect for a stock car, honestly. I would just go ahead and do it now if you think you'll do it down the line anyways.

Super excited to see what your headlights will look like! That's another item on the to buy list for me.

ricky_flowers_

How do you like the 20% at night? I am getting my car tinted Saturday and am trying to decide how dark I want to go. I'm thinking 50% front and 30% rear but your 20% looks really nice.

Also, I was thinking I'd hold off on the JB4 for a while, but I ended up grabbing one used on the classifieds here and I can't go back to the stock tune lol. The power level feels perfect for a stock car, honestly. I would just go ahead and do it now if you think you'll do it down the line anyways.

Super excited to see what your headlights will look like! That's another item on the to buy list for me.

The 20% is honestly perfectly fine at night. I was super paranoid that I wouldn't be able to see out of the car, but that wasn't the case. It's dark enough for assholes with their high-beams on behind you not to blind you, but you still have plenty of visibility. My S2000 had 5% tints when I bought it, so I KNOW what it's like to not be able to see out of a car haha.

ricky_flowers_

I took the car down to Homestead Miami Speedway to watch some friends on track and help out where I can. It's nice being at the track and just hanging out for once.

My new BEC Golf R headlights came in as well. I purchased them with the Morimoto 5500k HID kit. I'm REALLY looking forward to installing these, both for the improvement in lighting quality, as well as how it will make the car look. Hopefully, I'll be picking up my new (to me) wheels this weekend as well, so this will be a pretty exciting week for me haha.

And here's another shot of the car, because I love it :D