GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 issue.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
Did you get this resolved? I have apr87 stock turbo and if I romp it in 3rd then let off gas [emoji618]️ t keeps going for a second or two. Did not do this with jb4. Only after tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still the same issue but not as bad. The turbo's wastegate seized tight so we replaced it with a new one. The CTS BOV was lubed and the stiffer spring went in. It holds boost much better and it doesn't seem to run on as bad. I do believe it's tune related now tho. Anyone run unitronic? Reviews?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
He also posted here. Just look down a few posts. I don't go on VWVortex. I know a lot of members from here are in there, but I hate the forum layout and a lot of the other members are just big D bags. Plus I got tired of reading post after post about roof racks and why they miss their tdi so much.

My next step is to just get the meth installed and see how it does. This car was never intended to be my project car. It all started with that I needed a commuter, it had to have cargo space for 3 year old twin stuff when needed, and I always loved VAG cars, especially the golf sportwagen when it came out. I was thinking maybe a JB1 and call it a day. 3 years later and here I am. When you are a car guy, it's hard not to mod. Even my old minivan had mods. Lol
Where are you mounting the meth tank and pump? I would love to have meth in the hot months. IC upgrade didn't get what I wanted. Too much hot metal to cool for a one gear pull.

Last edited:

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Still the same issue but not as bad. The turbo's wastegate seized tight so we replaced it with a new one. The CTS BOV was lubed and the stiffer spring went in. It holds boost much better and it doesn't seem to run on as bad. I do believe it's tune related now tho. Anyone run unitronic? Reviews?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm running Unitronic IS20 Automatic tune. It works great. Very responsive and smooth. It fixed most of the driveability quirks of the stock car, like unpredictable and strange throttle response.

Prior to Unitronic I was maxed out on JB4 with e30 meth. That setup had more top end than the Unitronic. But it was more fussy and less area under the cuve. Less part throttle power.

The Unitronic IS20 tune has more power everywhere and high boost at part throttle. It makes the car feel effortless everywhere like it has a big chugging engine. Like quarter throttle up big hills, it will rocket up to 15 psi @ 2000rpm and just stoicly chug away like a diesel. It also revs out happy to over 6000.

Traction is easier to find with the Uni tune. I don't know what or why, but the tune does good things for traction

Another thing...the maxed out JB4 would sometimes confuse the transmission. At full power it felt like it would hold a gear out of fear before reluctantly shifting. Unitronic tune takes care of that (milder JB4 settings didn't tend to do that. Unitronic IS20 shifts like stock.

Im excited to stack and get the bigger top end back. I don't have JB4 hooked up to log, so I can only go by the guage. Tune appears to be 20-23 peak tapering to 13-14?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm running Unitronic IS20 Automatic tune. It works great. Very responsive and smooth. It fixed most of the driveability quirks of the stock car, like unpredictable and strange throttle response.

Prior to Unitronic I was maxed out on JB4 with e30 meth. That setup had more top end than the Unitronic. But it was more fussy and less area under the cuve. Less part throttle power.

The Unitronic IS20 tune has more power everywhere and high boost at part throttle. It makes the car feel effortless everywhere like it has a big chugging engine. Like quarter throttle up big hills, it will rocket up to 15 psi @ 2000rpm and just stoicly chug away like a diesel. It also revs out happy to over 6000.

Traction is easier to find with the Uni tune. I don't know what or why, but the tune does good things for traction

Another thing...the maxed out JB4 would sometimes confuse the transmission. At full power it felt like it would hold a gear out of fear before reluctantly shifting. Unitronic tune takes care of that (milder JB4 settings didn't tend to do that. Unitronic IS20 shifts like stock.

Im excited to stack and get the bigger top end back. I don't have JB4 hooked up to log, so I can only go by the guage. Tune appears to be 20-23 peak tapering to 13-14?

What firmware were you using on the jb4? I found that they really got a lot of things smoothed out with 6B. Part throttle response is great. Also don't know where you maxed out on it. I'm looking at 24+ tapering to 20+ at the moment and still have room left in the trims. I had some small corrections, 1 or less for a little bit, but it was hot and road was a little bumpy. I have to get some more logs for the hot weather settings.
Screenshot_20190724-101415_JB4 Mobile-1600x778.jpg

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
This is the current settings I'm using. Next fill up of e30 I'm going to try adding more and see how the timing looks. I also still have to do the meth. I'm pretty confident I can see 27-28 peak tapering to 22-23 on the meth.

e30 Map 6-540x1110.jpg

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Where are you mounting the meth tank and pump? I would love to have meth in the hot months. IC upgrade didn't get what I wanted. Too much hot metal to cool for a one gear pull.

Tapping the washer tank and mounting the pump right below it. Only use blue washer fluid without any detergent in it. We are lucky we can get that easy up here. The -20 stuff is like 30% meth. That is plenty sufficient for cooling without it becoming a fuel supplement. You can always add a bottle of heet to the tank first to get it closer to 40%

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Tapping the washer tank and mounting the pump right below it. Only use blue washer fluid without any detergent in it. We are lucky we can get that easy up here. The -20 stuff is like 30% meth. That is plenty sufficient for cooling without it becoming a fuel supplement. You can always add a bottle of heet to the tank first to get it closer to 40%
Mind.. blown..

Are you going to control it with the JB4 or another controller?

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
What firmware were you using on the jb4? I found that they really got a lot of things smoothed out with 6B. Part throttle response is great. Also don't know where you maxed out on it. I'm looking at 24+ tapering to 20+ at the moment and still have room left in the trims. I had some small corrections, 1 or less for a little bit, but it was hot and road was a little bumpy. I have to get some more logs for the hot weather settings.
View attachment 28630

I'm not hooked up right no. I had an issue in the spring that went away after I unplugged the JB. Likely a connector issue. George suggested I plug in one by one till I find the problem. I haven't had the time. Then my turbo went bad and now I have zero time. It will be a next spring thing unless I'm feeling rich and just buy another unit.

Thanks for the logs. They look very good.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
I'm not hooked up right no. I had an issue in the spring that went away after I unplugged the JB. Likely a connector issue. George suggested I plug in one by one till I find the problem. I haven't had the time. Then my turbo went bad and now I have zero time. It will be a next spring thing unless I'm feeling rich and just buy another unit.

Thanks for the logs. They look very good.

What kind of issues are you having? I was going to stack my Jb4 on top of an APR tune
But was having all kinds of over boost and misfire codes even on map zero.
George suggested that I plug-in one plug at a time. I have not had a chance to do that yet.
Just curious if we are having the same kind of issues when plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk