GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking brake when off by itself

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Well it’s been back in for some sort off software update and they ran adaptions or something. So let’s see if it does it again

ChrisB2kGolf

Car(s)
Golf S MK7.5
Very late to this so apologies - I have noticed this on my Golf too (Mk7.5), I can replicate fairly good and seems to be easy to replicate if you put a bit on acceleration whilst lifting off the clutch, so as if you were about to set off, just out of gear.

Did you have much success with emailing/calling VW? I still have a finance agreement with them for the next 3 years or so, and I have reported this before, and were given the same as you, that they couldn't replicate etc... and I am not sure what I can do.

I am going to try what is suggested in the post, but I just wanted to see how you got on with it?

TIA!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Very late to this so apologies - I have noticed this on my Golf too (Mk7.5), I can replicate fairly good and seems to be easy to replicate if you put a bit on acceleration whilst lifting off the clutch, so as if you were about to set off, just out of gear.

Did you have much success with emailing/calling VW? I still have a finance agreement with them for the next 3 years or so, and I have reported this before, and were given the same as you, that they couldn't replicate etc... and I am not sure what I can do.

I am going to try what is suggested in the post, but I just wanted to see how you got on with it?

TIA!
The numpties at VAG neglected to take into account the current gearbox position when checking to see whether to disengage the parking brake.

You can try kicking up a fuss, but ultimately it's "the state of series production".

ChrisB2kGolf

Car(s)
Golf S MK7.5
Thanks for getting back to me so quick, surely its a safety issue if it isn't checking this? I understand its also on the driver to in some way check as well and react well enough to stop it from rolling if the parking break did disengage, but I feel like it is something that needs to be looked into, for whatever reason if this caused a crash it would be my fault yet something that could be prevented by them simply just patching this?

I'm not software developer, I work in the industry and can't imagine this being a huge issue to resolve from their devs, especially since they wrote the firmware!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for getting back to me so quick, surely its a safety issue if it isn't checking this? I understand its also on the driver to in some way check as well and react well enough to stop it from rolling if the parking break did disengage, but I feel like it is something that needs to be looked into, for whatever reason if this caused a crash it would be my fault yet something that could be prevented by them simply just patching this?

I'm not software developer, I work in the industry and can't imagine this being a huge issue to resolve from their devs, especially since they wrote the firmware!
I spent two years fighting with VWUK over it to no avail. They settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

As far as they're concerned, it's standard operation and they will not be looking to resolve it.

As a software engineer, I know it wouldn't be a problem to take into account one extra input..... but I do know that bureaucracy gets in the way more often than not, especially if the control module was outsourced like this one was.

ChrisB2kGolf

Car(s)
Golf S MK7.5
Thanks for letting me know, so they settled with you out of court for a sum?

Seems funny that they would rather pay out to a consumer than fix the problem, but again as you said things can get in the way in the larger companies.

I might give them a call or two and see what I can dig out, as I'd rather have it noted down in case by chance it causes an incident.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for letting me know, so they settled with you out of court for a sum?

Seems funny that they would rather pay out to a consumer than fix the problem, but again as you said things can get in the way in the larger companies.

I might give them a call or two and see what I can dig out, as I'd rather have it noted down in case by chance it causes an incident.
Yes that's right, although it was more for wasting my time than the issue itself. They never admitted it was a real fault.

More importantly to me, I received an email informing me that this was correct operation just in case it happened and caused a collision.

ChrisB2kGolf

Car(s)
Golf S MK7.5
Thanks for updating me, just been on the phone to them and they want me to go through my Volkswagen dealership first, I am pretty I have already enquired with them but double checking and so they are calling me back some point today to either say yes they have looked at it or no but they will book it in.

If its correct operation then I wonder if there is much point in me pushing with this, sorry to hear they wasted your time.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for updating me, just been on the phone to them and they want me to go through my Volkswagen dealership first, I am pretty I have already enquired with them but double checking and so they are calling me back some point today to either say yes they have looked at it or no but they will book it in.

If its correct operation then I wonder if there is much point in me pushing with this, sorry to hear they wasted your time.
Check to see if you've had the 46G7 field campaign carried out on your car. That's when my issues began.

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Hello as iwmtom I had this for two years and complained and complained and then complained some more it’s all still logged with Vw. When I spoke to one guy. I said you can’t get out your car with engine and handbrake applied as it could potentially come off and they just shrugged it off. I told on the local school run there is children walking in front and behind my car and could potentially hurt someone . My little girl one day was in front of the car when it released it self just after I started it so it’s very serious but 2 years and around 8 dealership visits and no joy . Mine when off when only lifting off the clutch when starting the car and the advice was don’t use the clutch when staring the car which I then pointed out the car won’t start without the clutch engaged . In the end I got used to it and always kept my foot on the brake. But it’s a serious defect