GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grinding Noise and Trans Issue

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Hey guys, I have a 2015 Golf TSI with the 6 speed auto.
I have some concerns and wanted to see if anyone here had any knowledge or experience with them.

The first one is regarding second gear. When I'm driving in manual, if I have it in second gear but the RPMS are low the car starts to lug around almost like its going to stall. It kind of feels like it makes the car "bounce" in a way. Does this mean there's a problem with the transmission or is it an idle issue?

Next, this is my first Turbo and VW in general. While the car is revving there is also a whining noise that is louder as the revs go higher but quieter as it goes down. I didn't hear this when I first bought the car, Is this normal?

Last, I just installed some new Konig wheels to test fit and test drive but I don't have hubcentric rings on as of now. I noticed that when going around 35-25 mph if I just start to coast there is a grinding sound that sounds like it is coming from underneath the car but in the front center. If i so much as touch the accelerator the sound goes away. I made sure that my tires were aired up and the wheels were torqued on properly. I can hear it in 3rd very slightly but it is very noticable in 2nd. The sound is similar the the driving on the grooves on the edge of the road that vibrate to make you pay attention. What are some possible issues that can cause this?

Im taking this to a local VAG shop to have it looked at in the morning anyway but I thought I'd bring it up here as well.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Grinding might be a brake pad. I was getting an occasional grind as I slowed to a stop. Then it would go away. I inspected pads, noticed that I bent one of the clips on a previous inspection, so I tried to straighten it. Now, it grinds at first forward motion after backing up. A touch of the brake eliminates it. Dealer reaction was 'a lot of them do that as the pads wear down' (I'm at 6mm compared to 14mm new).

Elwood

3-7-77
The first one is regarding second gear. When I'm driving in manual, if I have it in second gear but the RPMS are low the car starts to lug around almost like its going to stall. It kind of feels like it makes the car "bounce" in a way. Does this mean there's a problem with the transmission or is it an idle issue?

It's you. You're lugging the engine. You should be in first.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
It's you. You're lugging the engine. You should be in first.

Yes. Even though it's an automatic this car gives you a huge amount of control over when you shift. If it's bucking or bouncing, shift. Practice mechanical sympathy and keep the car in a happy place.

Grinding noise... sometimes people bend the brake rotor shields when replacing wheels and such. They then come in contact with the rotor as it spins. Also brake pads as others have mentioned.

As far as the other noises...have the vag guys look at it. Probably something simple.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Yes. Even though it's an automatic this car gives you a huge amount of control over when you shift. If it's bucking or bouncing, shift. Practice mechanical sympathy and keep the car in a happy place.

Grinding noise... sometimes people bend the brake rotor shields when replacing wheels and such. They then come in contact with the rotor as it spins. Also brake pads as others have mentioned.

As far as the other noises...have the vag guys look at it. Probably something simple.

Thanks guys, since I first posted I found out that the lugging was a driver error and not a car error so that's solved. The grinding is still not solved though, I checked my rotor shield and it was fine. Took it to a local VAG shop and they couldn't recreate the grind so i'm going back to recreate it for them and maybe it can be solved soon. I've heard that it could be a heat shield underneath the car but I have no safe way of getting underneath right now to check since my stands were stolen.