GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
My understanding is that a full-frame turbo upgrade will always be better than a hybrid. That's what they say anyway, and I couldn't tell you why. Main advantage of the EFR is the twin scroll hotside. The EQT XL / DBV2 will have more top end but more lag.

How's the response with the TBB v1?? Got any logs? I'm curious what RPM you hit your target PSI at in 3rd and 4th and when it runs out of breath up top. v1 could be a good balance like I'm looking for

Hasn't even gone on yet. We're trying to break the is20 record in an SE before fall break then I'll be making the switch.

However according to Daniel and research the TBB v1 spools as hard and quick as you want it to. It can spool faster than stock rods can allow. So with your build it may be quite rowdy with mpi and WG at full send before 3000rpm.. On his built motor personal s3 he said v1 could hit 30psi at 3100 in 5th. Yikes. lol

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Eh, I wouldn’t count 5th gear for anything. For example, the v2 TBB hits 30 psi at 3400 in 4th, but at 4000 in 3rd. EFR = 3350 in 3rd. I’m leaning toward V2 TBB though. But by the time I’m ready he’s probably going to be out of units and I’ll be screwed for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed

[emoji848]

[emoji2357] that blows

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Turbo back at the fab shop. It's supposed to be ready by the time I'm back from vacation. Fortunately I took an extra day off so I'll be able to throw it back on when I get back.

I have to say guys. Time and money well spent right here:

I decided working on the car in the Texas heat was for the birds, and took a ton of fun out of it, so I installed a 2-ton Mr. Cool DIY unit in the garage this past weekend. Soooooooo worth it. I've had the garage below 70, way cooler than the rest of the house, while working with it being 95+ outside. So grateful for my wife that allowed me to AC my garage with our "joint money" :D I got the walls blown-in insulated as well as the attic above the garage, and am working to insulate the garage door. I spent the least amount of effort ever pulling the turbo this time around thanks to this bad boy. No more dealing with a million effing mosquitoes, either.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The EFR has defeated me. I can't get it to work. I'm f'king done with it. I've wasted almost a year and way too much money for it to not work. Only thing that's different from mine vs. working is I have a ported head.

I went to the track yesterday and EPC'd multiple times a session, and that was at 27psi and trying to shift early. Sometimes, it would EPC as early as 6200 RPM after coming out of a corner.

I don't have the funds to switch turbos right now, so I'm going to suck it up and just try and get some more seat time in at the track before the season is over. I'm going to turn the boost down to 24-25 to minimize the chance of EPC and just work on my driving. I have plenty to work on that doesn't require a powerful car. Like heel-toe shifting with the shitty pedal spacing in our GTI's, lol.

Anyway... most likely going DBV2 TBB. Seems to be the next-best thing as far as good power with decent response. If anyone wants this APR Stage 3 kit as-is for like $1800 let me know.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I'm sure you can but I'm done with it at this point. Going to be posting it for sale either this weekend or next week sometime probably. I'll get close to 600whp on the DBV2 TBB with decent responsiveness as best I can tell so it's just time to move on. I'll be able to wring that all the way to around 7800 RPM too.