GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ever been discussion on a Shannonville meet?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Just looking at Shannonville's schedule for this year- No affiliation.

Shannonville looks to be almost perfectly mid way between Mississauga and Ottawa... That covers a huge amount of us on here....

Looks like they have 10 separate Mix & match days where you can run on the strip and the track and split off the drag series test and tunes out to be closed to public participation leaving it only to competitors only this year.... Unless I'm reading things wrong... entirely possible- I've got no experience with this and I'm kinda dense.

What does the Canada forum think about the below info.... any interest in a veedub meet involving performance, rather than how shiny someone can polish their BBSes :p:eek::cool: ?

Drag testing on Fabi with timing slips and/or car lapping on the Nelson track
Evenings: $30 per car, $5 for spectators
May4, 2018 – evening only
May 18, 2018– evening only
J
une8, 2018Friday evening test & tune 5:30-10:00pm
June 22, 2018– evening only

July 6, 2018– evening only
July 13
, 2018Friday evening test & tune 5:30-10:00pm

July 27, 2018– evening only
August 1
0, 2018Friday evening test & tune 5:30-10:00pm

August 17, 2018– evening only
August 31, 2018– evening only
September
7, 2018 Friday evening test & tune 5:30-10:00pm

September 14, 2018–evening only
September 28, 2018– evening only
October
5, 2018Friday evening test & tune 5:30-10:00pm

October 13, 2017 –part day 1pm to 5pm
All evenings start at 6pm and end at 9pm, with lights if necessary. No reimbursement in case of rain. During the test & tune drag street night street tires are not allowed in the wet box. On Mix & Match nights, street tires are allowed in the wet box although it does not help the time recorded and lays rubber on the track, in addition to being time consuming.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I think I've managed to convince two of the young guys at work to make the trip to Shannonville to go to the strip.
2008 Straight piped V6 for one, and he should be wearing nearly new rubber.
2014 V6 (with what looks like Fast FC04s, I think, but otherwise stock) for the other.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Mustangs... I should add that the cars are V6 mustangs.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
So I finally went this weekend. I sucked giant hairy balls. It was fun. I want to go back on Aug 30th. Anybody interested?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
C'mon golfmk7!

Anybody wanna see if you can beat my awesome 14.258@99.12MPH that I set Friday, with my wheels bouncing like a Lowryder on Hydraulics?

Mix and match, you can run on the Nelson track, and the drag strip as much as you want.
The strip has a runoff area that's basically another road course.

August 30, 2019 – evening only
September 13, 2019– evening only
September 27, 2019 – evening only
October 19, 2019 – part day 1pm to 5pm
All evenings start at 6pm and end at 9pm, with lights if necessary. No reimbursement in case of
rain. During the test & tune drag street night street tires are not allowed in the wet box. On
Mix & Match nights, street tires are allowed in the wet box although it does not help the time
recorded and lays rubber on the track, in addition to being time consuming. Passengers are
allowed in the cars on a restricted basis. They have to go to the gate and ask for a wristband
and sign the waiver ($5 in addition to the spectator cost of $5). Motorcycles: jeans are
allowed. Cars: helmets are not mandatory, drivers discretion
PRICE: Car & Driver $30 – waiver signed
Additional Driver: $30 – waiver signed
Spectators - $5 no wavier signed
Spectator passenger - $5 + $5 waiver signed

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Adventures in failure:

Friday I had an awesome day at the awesome beach at Sandbanks provincial park.

The plan is, we were going to go to the beach for about 3 hours or so, and then get to Shannonville. Told her that we need an hour to get to the track from the beach, and that I want to sit and let the car cool off for a while. Oh, and that we have to take everything out of the car when we get there, so pack only what we need for the beach.

Naturally, three hours on the beach means we have to pack enough to survive the apocalypse.

Then we don't get into the car until 5pm to go to the track. Then, we argue about having to take all the stuff out of the car at the track. Then we argue about using the air conditioning, while stuck behind slow moving farming traffic, on the way to he track. Then we argue about stopping for food on the way to the track. Then we argue about the extra $5 spectator entry fee that we've got to pay. Then we argue about me not knowing where to find the washroom at the track. So I get there right at start time, in a fully hot car, no idea where to go for the inspections that they reference on their site. Typical stuff. (She really is a saint, though. I mean, really, could you just imagine living with me? I'd probably sit a pillow on my face by night 3... 4 at the latest)

Then, I pull onto the track, kinda lost. I ask a guy in a booth, "So, uh... what the hell do I do here?" "I just print the timesheets man." Shoot. Then I see the enemy (new 5.0, switching tires, hood up. He's got a Vortec in his engine bay and a DaSilva racing shirt on that I didn't notice till later) He is pretty helpful- "You just line up and go, there's no real structure to it. It's shorter run off than most quarter tracks, so you might have to really stomp on your stoppers. When you've got a run that you want to see the results of, head over to that booth and ask for your timesheet for the run" Ok, cool.

Drive over toward the starting area, line up with.... oh, perfect. Straight piped fat ass slick tired CTSV. A guy writes a 12 on my rear window. CTSV turns a percentage of his tires into hot white smoke. Armdrop guy motions me a little more forward, little more, thumbs up. Sit for a few seconds tree starts and....

I ate dick. A whole lot of wheel hop, lights went quicker than I expected through the tree, and I enter at around 100mph.
https://datazap.me/u/johnnloki/quarter-mile-1?log=0&data=1-4

Ok, well, second time, maybe. As I'm waiting my turn, I call the other half to see if she can let me know my 60' time. Mr Mustang seemed to imply that I would need to ask following my run for the timeslip... does that mean that a timeslip that I don't get will be lost to the sands of time? I dunno. Get her answering machine. Leave her the message, "Turn your ringer on!". Get close to the front of the line. I'm going to be matched up with.... uh... what the hell was that thing- a Datsun once upon a time? She calls back! I try to explain that I'm needing her to stay on the line with me, and let me know what one of my numbers is, either the RT, or the ET, or the MPH. She's telling me that she's not really able to see them for sure, because or toddler is starting to get impatient and HOLY SHIT, the tree has started!!!

https://datazap.me/u/johnnloki/quarter-2?log=0&data=1-4

Well, that actually felt worse than the first. As I'm driving back I realize that I've still got all my windows still sort of down for that run. And oh shit!! I've still got full on commuting tire pressures, like over 40 PSI cold. I should check those with my gauge before the next run.... Yep, they are currently near 50 PSI. Crap. Down to 30 PSI we go. Aw shit. I left it running while I messed with the tires and called the other half and the kiddo. He told me proudly that he told his Mommy that he needed to pee at a public toilet for the very first time (we usually have to ask him if he needs the potty when he's dancing and grabbing at his junk, just like his daddy) Well, that's amazing, but I now have gotta let the car sit for a while, damn it's hot.... I'm bored. It's been a while. Those guys with their hoods up are clearly just pussies for not going back in yet.

Third run- it's a street car- a straight piped Mustang with a horsey on the badge.... I think I hear a whine under the growl, but that's definitely a normal street car and those are definitely street tires. Excellent.

I'm a bit more ready for the tree, and with the tires not near popping pressure, i hook up a bit better for sure, and....... acceleration right away feels pretty meh.
https://datazap.me/u/johnnloki/quarter-mile-3-cel-triggered?log=0&data=1-4