GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glass rubber trim damage. Ugghh

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Well I feel like an idiot. Bought a small low power power washer. Didn't think it would be powerful enough to damage anything. Well, I was apparently very wrong. Was trying to get some wax residue out of the little cracks on the rubber trim/seals around the glass trim and the power washer left marks in the rubber trim bits. Are these something that's easily replaceable, or is it a big job? Ugh, so angry with myself, newb mistake. :( Nearly brand new 2019 Rabbit Edition GTI.

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know how hard it is to replace but next time try an old toothbrush to get the dried wax off.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Mineral oil should remove wax residue.

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
Went to dealer parts dept. $280 per side for new trim. Ughhhh. And the trim on each side of windshield? Only comes with a $700 windshield. [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Went to dealer parts dept. $280 per side for new trim. Ughhhh. And the trim on each side of windshield? Only comes with a $700 windshield. [emoji24][emoji24]

That's not true about the sides of the windshield. They are removed to replace the glass, the glass is alone... no trim with it.

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...6699907/WINDSHIELD-EXTERIOR-TRIM/9282325.html

$40 per side. I'd check your other pricing to make sure you are getting ripped. Grab the part numbers and google.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I'd try some different plastic trim treatments before buying new trims. 303 do a good one, but there are plenty of others available from GOOD detailing supplies places.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
That's not true about the sides of the windshield. They are removed to replace the glass, the glass is alone... no trim with it.

https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...6699907/WINDSHIELD-EXTERIOR-TRIM/9282325.html

$40 per side. I'd check your other pricing to make sure you are getting ripped. Grab the part numbers and google.

That’s great news, many thanks. I definitely got the vibe this parts guy was annoyed and wanted me gone. Even demanded my VIN for a simple oil filter. [emoji2955]

2.0T-GTI

VW in MadTown
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit Ed. GTI
I'd try some different plastic trim treatments before buying new trims. 303 do a good one, but there are plenty of others available from GOOD detailing supplies places.

I should specify that this isn’t just superficial marks but actual 1mm-ish deep abrasion to the rubber. I’m definitely no expert on the topic, but are there chems/treatments that would handle that level of damage? I just assumed it was too much for any sort of topical treatment. I did consider some sort of mechanical shaving. I should snap some pics, may make things clearer.

Dysfunktional

Snap a pic. I had an issue in the past with a different car of damaged trim...similar, not from a pressure washer. I was able to lightly sand the scrapes / gouges in the trim and clean it up / redress. Couldnt hardly tell afterwards.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I should specify that this isn’t just superficial marks but actual 1mm-ish deep abrasion to the rubber. I’m definitely no expert on the topic, but are there chems/treatments that would handle that level of damage? I just assumed it was too much for any sort of topical treatment. I did consider some sort of mechanical shaving. I should snap some pics, may make things clearer.

In that case I can't see any wipe on chemical type trim treatment being able to fix it, and I'd be wary of trying to physically remove a layer of the trim material as it would be difficult to do it evenly, and the outside layer may be different to the inside material. Maybe look for replacement trims from a wrecker/dismantler ?