GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD remap

Bucks370

Hello all :)

Going to keep it nice and simple;

Who here has had their GTD remapped, how did it feel? How much was it (if you don’t mind me asking) and what company did you use?

Want to start this thread as I am looking to get a remap, and also to help people in a similar predicament to myself.

Bucks

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Hello all :)

Going to keep it nice and simple;

Who here has had their GTD remapped, how did it feel? How much was it (if you don’t mind me asking) and what company did you use?

Want to start this thread as I am looking to get a remap, and also to help people in a similar predicament to myself.

Bucks

I’ve only ever had a GT TDi remapped and it transformed it, it was a little smokey afterwards mind you but the torque increase felt great, it wasn’t a big name company and I can’t remember the brand now, you can find prices from the major tuners such as APR (around £360 I think) and Revo on their websites.

Bucks370

I’ve only ever had a GT TDi remapped and it transformed it, it was a little smokey afterwards mind you but the torque increase felt great, it wasn’t a big name company and I can’t remember the brand now, you can find prices from the major tuners such as APR (around £360 I think) and Revo on their websites.

Thanks for the reply, would you say it was definitely worth the money then?

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Bigfish in Stokesley £300, had a few cars remapped by John, all good.
GTD drives as normal until the power at 2.5-3k.... lovely
No mpg change, 220bhp on his rolling road.

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my GTD remapped, and it was done by DDG Ltd, all in house tuning. Unsure where you are located, but he's now moved to Manchester. The car runs very well indeed, and no smoke what so ever...

...I even did a track day too, and the performance was amazing. No issues at all. I paid £300 also.

I hope this helps.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had my GTD remapped, and it was done by DDG Ltd, all in house tuning. Unsure where you are located, but he's now moved to Manchester. The car runs very well indeed, and no smoke what so ever...

...I even did a track day too, and the performance was amazing. No issues at all. I paid £300 also.

I hope this helps.

Mine only smoked when I floored it! Which is normal with a tuned diesel.

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I'm thinking of getting mine remapped, It's a 13 plate GTD manual with 60k, was thinking of taking it to a local place for a remap or failing that I was looking at DTUK and Superchips Bluefin, I like the idea of being able to remove it whenever I want without a trip to a garage, but I guess a remap by a garage may be a better and safer bet, plus Id rather see the actual numbers rather than a guess, as some DTUK maps claim to hit 240bhp which I highly doubt. Is £300 around the norm for remap prices? never had a car remapped in my life but heard good things and some bad things about clutches going, Turbos etc. But others have said it's a must as it completely transforms the car.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I considered getting mine mapped until I got insurance quotes. I can insure a golf r cheaper than a mapped gtd!

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I haven't even checked, but is it even worth declaring? I've read a lot of people say they don't check the ECU, even people who work for insurers. I'm not a whizz on cars by any means at all so correct me if im wrong but surely if you fit say a DTUK box to your car and had an accident that wrote your car off, you could just reset it to stock take it off and let them take the car?

Let's be honest as long as you don't write the car off the insurer is not going to even see the car, someone hit my golf in march and i just took it to a garage for a new bumper, for all they knew I could have modified the c**p out of it. I suppose another scenario would be it getting stolen but they probably still wouldn't see the car.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't even checked, but is it even worth declaring? I've read a lot of people say they don't check the ECU, even people who work for insurers. I'm not a whizz on cars by any means at all so correct me if im wrong but surely if you fit say a DTUK box to your car and had an accident that wrote your car off, you could just reset it to stock take it off and let them take the car?

Let's be honest as long as you don't write the car off the insurer is not going to even see the car, someone hit my golf in march and i just took it to a garage for a new bumper, for all they knew I could have modified the c**p out of it. I suppose another scenario would be it getting stolen but they probably still wouldn't see the car.

Not just you - what if you injure or something worse someone else in an accident. The insurance company will investigate and rightly so deny the claim, you become personally liable.

It's irresponsible and not a gamble anyone should take. Can't afford to declare on the insurance, don't do it. Only something a very foolish or selfish individual would do.

Just my $/£ 0.01 worth.

J.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Not just you - what if you injure or something worse someone else in an accident. The insurance company will investigate and rightly so deny the claim, you become personally liable.

It's irresponsible and not a gamble anyone should take. Can't afford to declare on the insurance, don't do it. Only something a very foolish or selfish individual would do.

Just my $/£ 0.01 worth.

J.

^ 100% this.

What if a car with a tuning box fitted that hasn’t been declared to the insurer is involved in a front end impact that means the tuning box can’t be accessed to remove it before the car is trailered away for the insurer to assess whether or not the car is a write off? The driver might also have sustained injuries so they’re physically unable to remove the tuning box, so the insurer would find it.

Anyone considering not declaring vehicle modifications should consider the potential consequences. Not declaring modifications to an insurer constitutes insurance fraud, which is a criminal offence. Anyone found guilty of insurance fraud ends up with a criminal record, and have their details added to an insurance fraud database, which is available to view by all insurers who subscribe to the database.

Also, anyone convicted of insurance fraud needs to declare this conviction when applying for insurance in future, and an insurer who is prepared to offer to cover (some might not) would almost certainly apply a sizeable premium loading.

Insurers customer checking processes have become very sophisticated in recent years. Most will probably have a checking process against various external information sources such as the fraud database, so anyone convicted of fraud but fails to declare it when applying for insurance cover is likely to get found out anyway.

IMO honesty is the best policy. Failing to declare modifications to an insurer is not worth taking the risk, and always check with the insurer before making any modifications to ensure a) they’ll cover the modifications b) you can afford any premium increase they might charge.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
With the popularity increasing daily it would be very easy to buy a second hand car with a remap already in place, where would this put the new driver when they are none the wiser to the modification and there for do not declare it when paying for insurance? Does the fact that they have not paid a higher premium really make them a higher risk when on the road? Or indeed make them safer if they do pay more?! Does this make a driver that doesn’t know about the remap and a driver that doesn’t declare it equally (if at all) irresponsible?

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
With the popularity increasing daily it would be very easy to buy a second hand car with a remap already in place, where would this put the new driver when they are none the wiser to the modification and there for do not declare it when paying for insurance? Does the fact that they have not paid a higher premium really make them a higher risk when on the road? Or indeed make them safer if they do pay more?! Does this make a driver that doesn’t know about the remap and a driver that doesn’t declare it equally (if at all) irresponsible?

Good points you’ve raised.

The issue of unknowingly buying a modified car and the insurance implications have been discussed on various forums and consumer websites. The general consensus seems to be that the onus is always on the individual buying a used car to find out if the car has been modified.

Pretty much all insurers will have a clause in the small print of their policies that states they need to know if a car has been modified, and the question will also be asked on comparison sites and by insurers who aren’t on comparison sites when you get a quote for insurance cover. Potentially a bit of a grey area, but I dare say that technically, an insurer could treat a policy as void in the event of a claim involving one of their policyholders with a modified car, where the owner didn’t know it was modified from factory spec when they bought it so failed to declare the modifications to the insurance company. Hopefully, they would treat such cases on their individual merits.

No excuse for not declaring modifications that a person makes to their car during their period of that car’s ownership though.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
@Carlosfandango It’s a great point,

If prior knowledge of modification genuinely isn’t known then I wouldn’t personally call the new driver irresponsible, however, I’m not the one who’s going to make a decision on them being paid out, prosecuted for having no insurance and being almost virtually uninsurable going forward.

If you’re suggesting that a driver who is aware of the modification might choose use ignorance to the fact that a cars been modified as an argument in a claim and/or criminal investigation, then that’s another matter and morality is more of an issue for me on this one. Again and regardless of my own thoughts, which are just that.., I’m not the one who’s going to make a decision on them being paid out, prosecuted for having no insurance and being almost virtually uninsurable going forward.

BTW, sorry to the OP for going off track, I know this wasn’t what you were asking and sorry I can’t help. I was drawn to your thread as a previous GTD owner who considered mapping but car was on a lease so insurance and warranty made it too problematic.

J.

bertj

Ready to race!
Hopefully, everyone on this forum is honest! Can we please stop all these ifs and buts about modifying and informing the insurers? If you modify, or intend modifying your car then you must tell the insurers.