GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check Engine Oil Light - 2nd time in 3 weeks

masrs

Hi guys,

Seem to be getting a few issues lately. My car is on 66k miles.

The check engine light went on a few weeks back, checked dipstick whilst engine was still warm and it was touching minimum level so I topped it off with 1L.

Fast forward about 3 weeks and it’s popped on again! I’ve not had the chance to check the dipstick again but will do after work but worried I’m getting some major issue? In the 3 weeks probably driven around 500 miles.

There isn’t any smell and no noticeable smoke coming out of exhaust!? Maybe over sensitive sensor is kicking in or is knackered?

Thanks

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys,

Seem to be getting a few issues lately. My car is on 66k miles.

The check engine light went on a few weeks back, checked dipstick whilst engine was still warm and it was touching minimum level so I topped it off with 1L.

Fast forward about 3 weeks and it’s popped on again! I’ve not had the chance to check the dipstick again but will do after work but worried I’m getting some major issue? In the 3 weeks probably driven around 500 miles.

There isn’t any smell and no noticeable smoke coming out of exhaust!? Maybe over sensitive sensor is kicking in or is knackered?

Thanks

Check the dipstick.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the responses! No nothing obvious unfortunately. It’s strange, the dipstick level is definitely below minimum but I just went out and the lights off again...

The oil must be going somewhere!

So there's no leaks, and you don't see any smoke.. where is it going?!

When you topped your oil up the first time the light came on, did you wait a few minutes before checking the dipstick again? Furthermore, were you on level ground?

I'm hoping that this is just a simple case of not filling it up enough. I'd find it strange for such a large quantity of oil to be lost without a visible leak or noticeable smoke.

masrs

Thanks for the quick responses IWMTom. Yep, I’ll keep a closer eye on it just now and see how it goes. Last time I topped up it was back at the max level on the dipstick. Drive is flat so readings should be fine. I’m baffled but looks like a trip to the garage isn’t far off unfortunately.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the quick responses IWMTom. Yep, I’ll keep a closer eye on it just now and see how it goes. Last time I topped up it was back at the max level on the dipstick. Drive is flat so readings should be fine. I’m baffled but looks like a trip to the garage isn’t far off unfortunately.

Do keep us updated - hopefully it should be alright now.

jabba1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've noticed mine has started to weep from the front crankshaft seal, I only found it when I dropped the undertray to change the oil/filter

masrs

Dropped undertray today and looks like there is a slow leak from round sump pan or where the turbo connects there’s a bolt that’s covered in oil. Unsure but it’s a bit messy all round. Also noticed the gearbox looks like it’s leaking too. Hopefully get booked into a garage this week.

masrs

Just to keep this thread updated. The garage cleaned the engine up and didn't detect any oil leaks at all. It's a strange one as the car runs fine but it's just consuming oil heavily.

I see that in the manual it does state that the engine can consume 1L of oil per 2000km (~1200 miles) but even that seems ridiculous! This is the first car I've owned that I've even had to top up the oil. I've previously owned a MK6 Golf which didn't have this issue.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Just to keep this thread updated. The garage cleaned the engine up and didn't detect any oil leaks at all. It's a strange one as the car runs fine but it's just consuming oil heavily.

I see that in the manual it does state that the engine can consume 1L of oil per 2000km (~1200 miles) but even that seems ridiculous! This is the first car I've owned that I've even had to top up the oil. I've previously owned a MK6 Golf which didn't have this issue.

Very bizarre. My gearbox and engine are a bit covered in seepage but I think that's normal - my oil level never seems to go down though.

I do drive a TDI however.