GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R Tire Pressure Monitor

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
yes. And remember, perfect is the enemy of good. Sometimes good enough is good enough; in this case the ABS mechanism solves 90% of the problem for a very low one-time software cost, with zero maintenance required by the end user which means it will be used.

You can't fix the end user ignoring the light, but you can fix the rest of it very very well. Not perfect, but the ROI using the ABS mechanism is extremely high.

Well said. I'd rather be paying for some other, more interesting, features.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
The tire pressure monitoring system looks at the ABS wheel speed sensors and uses that information to track the rotational speed of the tires. Any time a tire has lower pressure, it will roll at a different number of revolutions per mile than tires that have the correct tire pressure. If one tire’s rotational speed seems off compared to the rest, the TPMS will alert the driver that one of the tires has low pressure.

Not only that, but the current wheel rpm per mph is compared to what it was when the system was reset (calibrated). So even if all four tires had lost the same 5 psi, and were therefore all rotating at the same incorrect speed, you still get the alert.

Considering that the only cost of the indirect system is for one-time software development, that's pretty good.

On the other hand the more expensive rim-mounted TPMS sensors have other tricks they can do, such as providing realtime numerical pressure readouts for each tire. It's really interesting to be in a car with these on a track, and be able to watch the tire pressure changes as each tire loads up.

Neil

adam1991

Banned
Of course, the car knows which ABS sensor has the abnormal reading. It doesn't know what the pressure is directly, but it knows that it's low. So the car tells you, "left rear".

It should.

Here in the US, it doesn't. Go figure.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
Of course, the car knows which ABS sensor has the abnormal reading. It doesn't know what the pressure is directly, but it knows that it's low. So the car tells you, "left rear".

It should.

Something my MkV R32 with direct measure system did not do.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R

It should.

Really? In Canada it has it, i've had a couple flats this past winter and it always told me ie "Front Left Tire Pressure".. I mean you could always tell before the warning came up by the flapflapflap sound but it was nice to have confirmation.

SilverFox1

I am very glad that the TPM works. Since I got the car less tahn three months ago, I have had to pump the tyres up to the proper pressures on 9 occasions. On 3 of them I had a warning and the pressure was down by 5 PSI on two of them.
The dealership had the car in for a day and say there is nothing wrong and no leaks or punctures, having done a full immersion water bath (the wheels not the car!).

Does anyone else suffer from tyres losing pressure consistently?

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Really? In Canada it has it, i've had a couple flats this past winter and it always told me ie "Front Left Tire Pressure".. I mean you could always tell before the warning came up by the flapflapflap sound but it was nice to have confirmation.

weird, when I got my flat last week I did not notice anywhere in the screen that it told me which tire. I had to get out and take pressure of all 4 tires to figure out it was the rear driver side...where did you find this data?

Grommit

Passed Driver's Ed
2016 MK7R here, Wisco.

My RR tire has a small/slow bead leak (just being lazy about putting new wheels/tires on) and when I forget about it for a couple days, my R says "Right rear tire pressure low"

It does specifically state which tire is all I'm getting at.

I prefer the indirect TPMS over valve stem TPMS, track wheels are so much nicer to install with these. Plus, a lot of cars that have wheel mounted/valve stem type TPMS also force traction control ON when they loose signal (Ok at least every honda/acura) which is not good for track use or fun snow day use.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I am very glad that the TPM works. Since I got the car less tahn three months ago, I have had to pump the tyres up to the proper pressures on 9 occasions. On 3 of them I had a warning and the pressure was down by 5 PSI on two of them.
The dealership had the car in for a day and say there is nothing wrong and no leaks or punctures, having done a full immersion water bath (the wheels not the car!).

Does anyone else suffer from tyres losing pressure consistently?

Don't you check the tyre pressure in every tire yourself every 2 weeks? What pressures are you starting at, to have an alert at 5 PSI below? It's usually 7-8 below on mine.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
weird, when I got my flat last week I did not notice anywhere in the screen that it told me which tire. I had to get out and take pressure of all 4 tires to figure out it was the rear driver side...where did you find this data?

If it's not in the MFD look in Infotainment.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
For anyone who has actually had a TMPS warning, how well does this work? Is it as sensitive as the traditional sensors?

It is shit! I hit road debris and split both passenger side sidewalls from rim to tread (both tires instantly, completely deflated). I drove 3-5 miles at reduced speed, before the TPMS alarm went off.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
It is shit! I hit road debris and split both passenger side sidewalls from rim to tread (both tires instantly, completely deflated). I drove 3-5 miles at reduced speed, before the TPMS alarm went off.

Well if immediately completed deflated you shouldn't have known before the sensor. If not then maybe it actually worked as intended and you're just butt hurt because you ruined two tires.

RigWig

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my tire pressure warning go off today, interestingly, I found that one of the tires was actually over inflated (replaced at the dealer 2 days ago). Can confirm that it did not tell me which tire though. 2018 golf R

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk