GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Park Distance Alert

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Twice in almost 2-1/2 years the park distance alert thought there was something behind the car when I backed out of a parking space. Both times I got out of the car and looked to see if there was a bug on a sensor - nothing. I got in the car and backed up some more and everything became normal. No error codes were stored. I know our cars can be glitchy, but it does get annoying at times.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Sometimes my car does that at stop lights. I’ve come to the conclusion that park sensors can somehow pick up ghosts and supernatural activities.

Only logical explanation I can think of. Prove me wrong?

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
My 2018 R has not had this problem. However, my 2015 GTI would intermittently detect invisible phenomena. Your post cracks me up though...Only twice in 2.5 years? That’s hardly frequent enough to be annoying.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My 2018 R has not had this problem. However, my 2015 GTI would intermittently detect invisible phenomena. Your post cracks me up though...Only twice in 2.5 years? That’s hardly frequent enough to be annoying.

I'm thinking if I drove it more it might do it more. These were the worst instances where it didn't just momentary alert. I could see if I'm close to a car in a parking lot where it could warn of something, but both times I was nowhere near another car or person or anything. Ghost in the machine for sure. I do wish the sensors would pick up on those parking lot cement wheel stops. The R is much lower than my MK5 and the 6-inch ones will catch on the bumper if I'm not careful.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I’ve had this happen once or twice also, personally I think it’s exhaust vapor being picked up by the sensors in the perfect conditions whether it be how the wind is or isn’t blowing it away or sunlight/brake lights hitting it etc. I’ve had it happen far more often in stop and go traffic with the front sensors especially in winter and always noticed the vehicle in front was puffing heavy at the time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I’ve had this happen once or twice also, personally I think it’s exhaust vapor being picked up by the sensors in the perfect conditions whether it be how the wind is or isn’t blowing it away or sunlight/brake lights hitting it etc. I’ve had it happen far more often in stop and go traffic with the front sensors especially in winter and always noticed the vehicle in front was puffing heavy at the time.

That could explain the time we were at jury duty. It was cold for Florida that day. My snowflake lit up for the first time. The car was cold when we left so I'm sure I was getting a lot of vapor. The other time was recently, when there was extreme humidity. Perhaps the sensors were covered with condensation since the car was sitting in the sun. I'll look for these conditions the next time. I think you're onto somethibg.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Twice in almost 2-1/2 years the park distance alert thought there was something behind the car when I backed out of a parking space. Both times I got out of the car and looked to see if there was a bug on a sensor - nothing. I got in the car and backed up some more and everything became normal. No error codes were stored. I know our cars can be glitchy, but it does get annoying at times.

was it when you are driving, or pulling out of the parking spot?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
There are Ghosts in my neighborhood that trigger mine to go off.

Danosaurus

Ready to race!
Anyone had that collision detection/warning indicator go off? I'm talking that big red scary car graphic with the waves around it that produces that loud beeping sound?

Mine went off twice in heavy downtown traffic. Either the guy behind me came rolling up on me too fast, or it was detecting ghosts.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Anyone had that collision detection/warning indicator go off? I'm talking that big red scary car graphic with the waves around it that produces that loud beeping sound?

Mine went off twice in heavy downtown traffic. Either the guy behind me came rolling up on me too fast, or it was detecting ghosts.

Ya, I get that all the time. There’s a road by me that is one lane each way with a 50 mph limit, and people making a left at one particular point, there is a “passing lane” there, but as you come flying up directly behind a stopped car at 55 before you reach the passing lane, the car freaks out everyday. I see why in that particular circumstance, it thinks you’re about to drive right into a stationary object, it doesn’t know you’re going to swing around it. The car scared the shit out of me the first time it did it though. lol

I’ve never noticed it from behind, I didn’t think it worked from the rear, but I don’t know, maybe someone else can chime in on almost getting rear ended.