GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Infotainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics)

Old 07-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
JHWP

Drives: Volkswagen MK7 Golf GTD
Perfect, thanks for explaining.

Can you let me know your particular setup? Which navigation system on which car etc. looks like a MK7 1.6 TDI from your avatar info?
JHWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
IWMTom

Drives: Mk7 1.6 TDI Match
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHWP View Post
Perfect, thanks for explaining.

Can you let me know your particular setup? Which navigation system on which car etc. looks like a MK7 1.6 TDI from your avatar info?
Yep! It's a 1.6 TDI Match, came with the MIB1 Composition Media as standard - terribly slow, terribly low quality, terribly lacking in functionality.

I spent the best part of 1,200 purchasing a hacked MIB2 Discover Pro with the trim piece and additional wiring harness to swap the old MDI port for a USB/Aux combo port.

Works a treat, with navigation and Android Auto all working!
IWMTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #20
ghost_rider

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

That is the thing I'm not sure about - whether or not the car has a GPS antenna. I'm assuming it doesn't as it doesn't have navigation. If it does for some reason then it should be plug and play. I have VCDS so can code it. I can get the component protection sorted too.

I haven't removed the main unit in the car to double check but looking at pictures online of the rear of the main unit of a composition media system (part number 5G0035819A) there are no blue colored connections...

Dont bother buying this one as you will only waste your money. No one in the word can activate satnav on Discover Media retrofitted headunits.
Only Discover Pro can be fully activated.

Part numbers ends with 0xxx, not with 8xx. Last 3 digits
ghost_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
JHWP

Oh dear, and things were looking so positive...

You know for a fact that a MIB1 Discover Navigation (main unit and screen) system retrofitted into a car with MIB1 Composition Media will not work, or at least the navigation part will not work as it cannot be activated?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #22
IWMTom

Quote:
Oh dear, and things were looking so positive...

You know for a fact that a MIB1 Discover Navigation (main unit and screen) system retrofitted into a car with MIB1 Composition Media will not work, or at least the navigation part will not work as it cannot be activated?
I think they're awfully mistaken; as long as the hardware is hacked to bypass Component Protection, it'll all work just fine.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #23
JHWP

...and we are back on road positive.

I think I am going to pick up an antenna and give it a try anyway. Not sure why the Discover Pro would work and the Discover Navigation would not
Old 07-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #24
IWMTom

Quote:
...and we are back on road positive.

I think I am going to pick up an antenna and give it a try anyway. Not sure why the Discover Pro would work and the Discover Navigation would not
They probably confused Composition Media with Discover Media.

If you're going to go for it, why not get the Pro?

You are aware you can't just put the hardware from another car into yours and have it work, aren't you?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #25
Reaper

Drives: Golf MK7
Why would he want to hack it? isnt it easier just to go to the dealership and get it removed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWMTom View Post
I think they're awfully mistaken; as long as the hardware is hacked to bypass Component Protection, it'll all work just fine.
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #26
IWMTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Why would he want to hack it? isnt it easier just to go to the dealership and get it removed?

If you didn't have Navigation as standard, then you can't enable Navigation on retrofitted hardware. Once the dealer removes the CP, ODIS will automatically correct the FeC's to those that are correct for that VIN as given by the Mothership.

It needs to be hacked.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #27
JHWP

Ah, there is a Discover Nav system for sale locally for not a lot of money so it suits. A new or even second hand Discover Pro system would be far more expensive I would imagine but I haven't actually priced it up now that you mention it so I will do this.

Last edited by JHWP; 07-13-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #28
IWMTom

Quote:
Ah, there is a Discover Nav system for sale locally for not a lot of money so it suits. A new or even second hand Discover Pro system would be far more expensive I would imagine but I haven't actually priced it up now that you mention it so I will do this.
Is it hacked?
Old 07-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #29
Reaper

Oh Ok, I understand, but i saw it is possible to let the dealers install FeCs for you, like driving mods etc... Isnt Nav one of them?
Quote:
If you didn't have Navigation as standard, then you can't enable Navigation on retrofitted hardware. Once the dealer removes the CP, ODIS will automatically correct the FeC's to those that are correct for that VIN as given by the Mothership.

It needs to be hacked.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #30
IWMTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Oh Ok, I understand, but i saw it is possible to let the dealers install FeCs for you, like driving mods etc... Isnt Nav one of them?

They can't just enable what they like; the VW Mothership dictates the functions that can and can't be enabled based on their database of functions from the factory.

There's only a couple of exceptions, such as driving modes and AppConnect (CarPlay/Android Auto), as you can purchase these.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #31
JHWP

Quote:
Is it hacked?
When you say hacked, I assume you are referring to having the component protection removed or is it something else?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #32
Reaper

Quote:
When you say hacked, I assume you are referring to having the component protection removed or is it something else?
I Think Hacked means all the options are open, without the need to activate them

Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #33
IWMTom

Quote:
There are companies who (I'm not entirely sure how; it's a trade secret) can remove Component Protection on a unit whilst it still has all the FeCs enabled, so the unit becomes plug and play.

Downsides are you can't update the firmware, and a VW dealer will hate you for the error codes it'll throw.