GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the traction control (ESC) button to a Mk7 Golf

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Looks like it has all you need...& yes other people have repurposed one of the other buttons for a garage door opener..several threads on here about it...

Great thanks!

Yeah I saw the other threads making a garage door opening, but didn't know if they used this switch or something else.

carlosalicea

Passed Driver's Ed
I need some help here.

I performed the change (bu the way passcode for the abs module is 40168), and it works with the side effect that when you flat out (full throttle) then the system activates ESC automatically.
I changed it back to 09 (stock) but the side effect stays.

I only wanted to be able to track the car without traction control and now I cannot.

Any help or direction will be appreciated.
Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I need some help here.

I performed the change (bu the way passcode for the abs module is 40168), and it works with the side effect that when you flat out (full throttle) then the system activates ESC automatically.
I changed it back to 09 (stock) but the side effect stays.

I only wanted to be able to track the car without traction control and now I cannot.

Any help or direction will be appreciated.
Thanks.

you cannot 100% turn off ESC ..the only way is to remove the fuse...then you get warning lights....

x2001pmq

So Dave I finally had a chance to come back to this. My abs connector does not have a pin 39, the max is pin 38, any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So Dave I finally had a chance to come back to this. My abs connector does not have a pin 39, the max is pin 38, any ideas?

The Connector on the ABS unit (J104) is a 46 pin connector....& wires in 38, 44, 45, 46 etc..

x2001pmq

I logged into Erwin and got the wiring diagram and connector pinout. For my car it has a 38 pin connector and the signal/esc is in pin 4 with a vi/gr wire.

My car is a NA 2016 vw golf tsi base model, perhaps that’s the reason for the difference

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I logged into Erwin and got the wiring diagram and connector pinout. For my car it has a 38 pin connector and the signal/esc is in pin 4 with a vi/gr wire.

My car is a NA 2016 vw golf tsi base model, perhaps that’s the reason for the difference

I thought it might be the manual -vs- the electronic handbrake but the info I have still gives the same abs pin outs...it might be wrong..anyway at least you found the pin outs..

Kykyhalim

Hi golfdave.. i have successfully follow this esp off with button retrofit.. thank you !

I set to esp on — esp sport — esp off (bit 6 vcds) and it working.. only the button doesnt illuminate.. for button led, where should i connect wire pin 1 and pin 2 to ? The easy one ? Its because by default i dont have the button at all in left row of the dsg stick

Thanks

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi golfdave.. i have successfully follow this esp off with button retrofit.. thank you !

I set to esp on — esp sport — esp off (bit 6 vcds) and it working.. only the button doesnt illuminate.. for button led, where should i connect wire pin 1 and pin 2 to ? The easy one ? Its because by default i dont have the button at all in left row of the dsg stick

Thanks

Pin1 is to a main earth connection..nearest one you can find...Pin2 is a live connection from a grey wire.....from the same grey wire which feeds the electronic handbrake...

Shikaguitar93

Hi everyone! Today I was trying to remove t17d connector but without success. After pull out red clip what I need to do with purple plastic clip? Has anyone a video? Thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi everyone! Today I was trying to remove t17d connector but without success. After pull out red clip what I need to do with purple plastic clip? Has anyone a video? Thank you

Answer in this thread at the beginning...

Firstly undo the T17d connector by pressing down on the top tab to undo it from the other section. Then looking at the purple plastic locking clamp on the connector, prise up each side “wing” & remove the plastic lock clamp. This unlocks the pins.

Shikaguitar93

Answer in this thread at the beginning...

Thanks for the answer Dave. I read everything but I've difficult with this part:

Firstly undo the T17d connector by pressing down on the top tab to undo it from the other section.

What i need to do after pull out the red clip? I've tried to press the top but the connector won't come away.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the answer Dave. I read everything but I've difficult with this part:

Firstly undo the T17d connector by pressing down on the top tab to undo it from the other section.

What i need to do after pull out the red clip? I've tried to press the top but the connector won't come away.

is the connector out from the black holding block as in my picture??...or are you having problems removing the wires from the connector??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Have you separated the connector?..if not you press down on the black tab on the top side of the connector & pull it towards you....this leaves the other side of the wiring & connector in the black block..to free this from the black holding cage I think you just push the whole connector backwards through the cage...