GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade From Composition Media To Discover Navigation

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Ooh, this is useful info, thanks.

My knowledge of satellites would be limited sorry. Could you explain what you mean when you say you receive 9/12 satellite locks?

Is yours an aftermarket Fakra connector as you mentioned previously?

Thanks.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Ooh, this is useful info, thanks.

My knowledge of satellites would be limited sorry. Could you explain what you mean when you say you receive 9/12 satellite locks?

Is yours an aftermarket Fakra connector as you mentioned previously?

Thanks.

Yes, it was a cheap aftermarket one from eBay.

When you use GPS, you "lock on" to a certain number of satellites. There were 12 available in the sky at the time, and I locked on to 9. That's like saying 75% signal strength.

In layman's terms, it works perfectly.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Perfect, thanks for explaining.

Can you let me know your particular setup? Which navigation system on which car etc. looks like a MK7 1.6 TDI from your avatar info?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Perfect, thanks for explaining.

Can you let me know your particular setup? Which navigation system on which car etc. looks like a MK7 1.6 TDI from your avatar info?

Yep! It's a 1.6 TDI Match, came with the MIB1 Composition Media as standard - terribly slow, terribly low quality, terribly lacking in functionality.

I spent the best part of £1,200 purchasing a hacked MIB2 Discover Pro with the trim piece and additional wiring harness to swap the old MDI port for a USB/Aux combo port.

Works a treat, with navigation and Android Auto all working!

ghost_rider

Thanks for the reply.

That is the thing I'm not sure about - whether or not the car has a GPS antenna. I'm assuming it doesn't as it doesn't have navigation. If it does for some reason then it should be plug and play. I have VCDS so can code it. I can get the component protection sorted too.

I haven't removed the main unit in the car to double check but looking at pictures online of the rear of the main unit of a composition media system (part number 5G0035819A) there are no blue colored connections...

Dont bother buying this one as you will only waste your money. No one in the word can activate satnav on Discover Media retrofitted headunits.
Only Discover Pro can be fully activated.

Part numbers ends with 0xxx, not with 8xx. Last 3 digits

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh dear, and things were looking so positive...

You know for a fact that a MIB1 Discover Navigation (main unit and screen) system retrofitted into a car with MIB1 Composition Media will not work, or at least the navigation part will not work as it cannot be activated?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Oh dear, and things were looking so positive...

You know for a fact that a MIB1 Discover Navigation (main unit and screen) system retrofitted into a car with MIB1 Composition Media will not work, or at least the navigation part will not work as it cannot be activated?

I think they're awfully mistaken; as long as the hardware is hacked to bypass Component Protection, it'll all work just fine.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
...and we are back on road positive.

I think I am going to pick up an antenna and give it a try anyway. Not sure why the Discover Pro would work and the Discover Navigation would not :confused:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
...and we are back on road positive.

I think I am going to pick up an antenna and give it a try anyway. Not sure why the Discover Pro would work and the Discover Navigation would not :confused:

They probably confused Composition Media with Discover Media.

If you're going to go for it, why not get the Pro?

You are aware you can't just put the hardware from another car into yours and have it work, aren't you?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Why would he want to hack it? isnt it easier just to go to the dealership and get it removed?
I think they're awfully mistaken; as long as the hardware is hacked to bypass Component Protection, it'll all work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Why would he want to hack it? isnt it easier just to go to the dealership and get it removed?

If you didn't have Navigation as standard, then you can't enable Navigation on retrofitted hardware. Once the dealer removes the CP, ODIS will automatically correct the FeC's to those that are correct for that VIN as given by the Mothership.

It needs to be hacked.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah, there is a Discover Nav system for sale locally for not a lot of money so it suits. A new or even second hand Discover Pro system would be far more expensive I would imagine but I haven't actually priced it up now that you mention it so I will do this.

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Ah, there is a Discover Nav system for sale locally for not a lot of money so it suits. A new or even second hand Discover Pro system would be far more expensive I would imagine but I haven't actually priced it up now that you mention it so I will do this.

Is it hacked?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Oh Ok, I understand, but i saw it is possible to let the dealers install FeCs for you, like driving mods etc... Isnt Nav one of them?
If you didn't have Navigation as standard, then you can't enable Navigation on retrofitted hardware. Once the dealer removes the CP, ODIS will automatically correct the FeC's to those that are correct for that VIN as given by the Mothership.

It needs to be hacked.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Oh Ok, I understand, but i saw it is possible to let the dealers install FeCs for you, like driving mods etc... Isnt Nav one of them?

They can't just enable what they like; the VW Mothership dictates the functions that can and can't be enabled based on their database of functions from the factory.

There's only a couple of exceptions, such as driving modes and AppConnect (CarPlay/Android Auto), as you can purchase these.