GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Advice!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
When discussing the injen intake, remember there are two models. There is an open air element one that is quite inexpensive, which is a crapshoot whether you will have IAT problems or not. There is a injen EVOLUTION model, which is a full enclosed box unit, with a duct system, which is about 300ish.

All of these pretty much produce the same power. (about 6-7 hp, unless IAT's become an issue, then -15)

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I'll probably go with the IE Carbon Intake, some good gains across the entire powerband: http://www.regalautosport.com/blog/...t-12-integrated-carbon-fibre-cold-air-intake/

Oh, and it looks nice:

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I had an open injen intake and I sold it, It will only decrease power if you run it in hot temperatures. I ran it through the summer in 80+ degrees and I definitely noticed some power loss, but I went after the induction noise it made. I didn’t care that much for the power loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ashiun

Ready to race!
Ok so in the middle of my drive today, I noticed my intake sounds were super insanely loud and my turbo spool was ridiculously fast. Pulled into my garage and saw that my intake coupler clamps fell off and my intake was literally detached from the inlet elbow. Drove it like that for a good 15 minutes, hopefully nothing made it in the gap between the coupler and piping.

That aside, I'm more interested in the whole open turbo thing for the 15 minutes I had it LOL. Nearly no turbo lag, instantaneous spool, insanely loud whoosh noises. It was just stupid how fast it was. My logs show me hitting max boost in 300RPM with only 70% pedal.

Can I get closer to this level of spooling speed by increasing my intake airflow? Getting an intake with a massive filter? Maybe no heatshield for more air flow (since I have an intercooler anyways, I don't think heatshield makes a difference). Basically what I'm asking is what's the FATTEST intake you guys know of?

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so in the middle of my drive today, I noticed my intake sounds were super insanely loud and my turbo spool was ridiculously fast. Pulled into my garage and saw that my intake coupler clamps fell off and my intake was literally detached from the inlet elbow. Drove it like that for a good 15 minutes, hopefully nothing made it in the gap between the coupler and piping.

That aside, I'm more interested in the whole open turbo thing for the 15 minutes I had it LOL. Nearly no turbo lag, instantaneous spool, insanely loud whoosh noises. It was just stupid how fast it was. My logs show me hitting max boost in 300RPM with only 70% pedal.

Can I get closer to this level of spooling speed by increasing my intake airflow? Getting an intake with a massive filter? Maybe no heatshield for more air flow (since I have an intercooler anyways, I don't think heatshield makes a difference). Basically what I'm asking is what's the FATTEST intake you guys know of?
Makeshift twintake? Lol

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
I'm torn between IE's open intake and aFe intake.

IE gets rid of the whole front air dam, so it only pulls from the driver side, but you'd probably have to cut a hole on the top plastic trim in order to let air in via the grille, otherwise it's useless because the path from the grille going up into the front of the filter is blocked off. This requires a coolant re-route also.

aFe retains the front air dam and lower half of the stock air box, so it'll have some stock restrictions remain. I'd probably cut a hole on the top plastic trim on this one too.

Don't know which way to go. I'm doing this for sound, but I also don't want a generic filter on a stick design like the Neuspeed one.