GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water coolant temperature gauge moves rapidly to overheat and then back to normal

mawallace

Ready to race!
After driving my car for 4 miles this evening at about 70 mph my temperature gauge went from the normal 90 degree position to 130 and beyond in 5 secs. The overheat warning light and buzzer came on. I took the foot off the accelerator to bring the car to a standstill and the gauge went straight back to the normal position.

Lifting the bonnet there were no signs of overheating and I drive the rest of the journey at 70 mph with no issues.

I don't think the car could have overheated and it would not have been possible for the coolant temperature to rose then fall so quickly. Any idea's as to the cause. Car has done 50000 miles.

It's a 2.0 tdi

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Bad thermostat or radiator fan.

mawallace

Ready to race!
Have you had any work done recently?

No work done in the last two or three months. Always serviced on the schedule.

Driven today circa 200 miles and seems to be fine. There was point when the gauge rose from 90 to 110 - but then fans cut in and it back down!

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
The problem

Hi if it's a 2013 on car it's not computer issues or a thermostat. It will 100% be a sticking warm up shield on the water pump. New pump and belt kit for you. If it's warranty your only get a pump no belt kit.

After driving my car for 4 miles this evening at about 70 mph my temperature gauge went from the normal 90 degree position to 130 and beyond in 5 secs. The overheat warning light and buzzer came on. I took the foot off the accelerator to bring the car to a standstill and the gauge went straight back to the normal position.

Lifting the bonnet there were no signs of overheating and I drive the rest of the journey at 70 mph with no issues.

I don't think the car could have overheated and it would not have been possible for the coolant temperature to rose then fall so quickly. Any idea's as to the cause. Car has done 50000 miles.

It's a 2.0 tdi

CLDuckworth1

Ready to race!
Yes turned out to be water pump

Hey there
So my car has just started doing a similar thing and on its second occurrence today I’ve managed to carry on driving with the interior heaters on high to help take away heat short term.
I wanted to ask how you diagnosed it to be the water pump please?
For myself I think... it’s the thermostat...
It is only over heating once the engine has got to temp and then continues on going past 90°. After roughly 30mins with the heaters now off, it doesn’t overheat at all even with a hard driving style.

Cheers for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mawallace

Ready to race!
Hey there
So my car has just started doing a similar thing and on its second occurrence today I’ve managed to carry on driving with the interior heaters on high to help take away heat short term.
I wanted to ask how you diagnosed it to be the water pump please?
For myself I think... it’s the thermostat...
It is only over heating once the engine has got to temp and then continues on going past 90°. After roughly 30mins with the heaters now off, it doesn’t overheat at all even with a hard driving style.

Cheers for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dealer changes the pump and not the thermostat

Matthew29

Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf
I appear to be having the same problem fans kick in at 95 then it goes to 100-110 then I ease off the accelerator and it goes back to 90 then after a bit the fans turn off and car is normal what is it? Are we sure it's the water pump it's been on two diagnostic machines and both read that there is no fault.