GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 has a 2 door??

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Looking at the Canada site, you can get a Golf 1.8 in 2 door configuration. Not the GTI or R, but still interesting. Will the US get any more 2 doors?? Are the Canada cars from Mexico?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Tempting to find a 1.8 2 door and go IS38...holding my breath the configurator throws us a bone.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
What's the appeal of a 2-door, tbh? The whole reason I want a GTI is because it's both sporty and practical.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Looks better, more room to get in, more character, real hatches are 2 (3) doors like the original, also some weight savings. The fact they are not really making them makes it more desirable to me.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Looks better, more room to get in, more character, real hatches are 2 (3) doors like the original, also some weight savings. The fact they are not really making them makes it more desirable to me.

Looks are based on personal opinion. Room to get it I can agree on unless you're in a tight parking spot, then you have less room. Access to rear seat is impractical.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
What's the appeal of a 2-door, tbh? The whole reason I want a GTI is because it's both sporty and practical.

Exactly. Taking a car that is built primarily around practicality and is boxy and buying it in 2DR form is totally baffling to me.

I even think they look worse. The huge doors and blank panel behind them completely throws the proportions off. They look super goofy.

And OP- No more 2 doors in the US. In any trim. There is less than 0 chance.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
Exactly. Taking a car that is built primarily around practicality and is boxy and buying it in 2DR form is totally baffling to me.

I even think they look worse. The huge doors and blank panel behind them completely throws the proportions off. They look super goofy.

GTIs were originally 2dr, and for the first few generations, 2drs were all they sold. The GTI was not built around practicality, it was built to be a sporting version of the Golf. It was meant for driving enthusiasts.
The only reasons they began to be sold as 4drs were to increase sales, and to sell them to a wider, less enthusiast based market. That fact alone detracts from the sporting nature of the car. It is a watered down version of the original.
4dr practicality is what the Jetta and Sportwagen are for.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Yeah, well that was decades ago. Now the GTI is viewed as more of a well-rounded car, above average in all aspects. And many people use them as daily drivers.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
GTIs were originally 2dr, and for the first few generations, 2drs were all they sold. The GTI was not built around practicality, it was built to be a sporting version of the Golf. It was meant for driving enthusiasts.
The only reasons they began to be sold as 4drs were to increase sales, and to sell them to a wider, less enthusiast based market. That fact alone detracts from the sporting nature of the car. It is a watered down version of the original.
4dr practicality is what the Jetta and Sportwagen are for.

The GTI isn’t a 2 seat Italian supercar. There’s literally no difference between the 2dr and 4dr length wise or interior space wise. So all they did was make something that was super inconvenient (getting in and out of the rear seat) much more convenient by utilizing the rear quarter panel. There’s absolutely nothing to detract from the sporting nature. The 4dr doesn’t go slower or corner worse.

I mean seriously, the original GTI had carbs and delivered less than half the HP of today’s models. Why are you all so nostalgic for one inferior spec (lack of doors) and not the other (lack of sophisticated fuel delivery system)?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I love four door gti/golf/Rabbit all the way back to Mk1 the four doors always look better IMO. Out of 16 Volkswagen I’ve owned only my mk6 gti was 2 door

For those saying “four door is less sporty” a four door is more rigid.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've owned many 2-door coupes in my life (2 CRXs, 1 Civic hatch, 3 Si Coupes, 1 RSX), and there were exactly no advantages to having 2 fewer doors. No one wants to ride in the back of a 2-door, it's harder to get in and out in parking lots, and in most cases, they don't look any better, but that's subjective. They are basically the Ford Ranger Splash/Stepside pickup of the car world; buying one means sacrificing usability for no real gains.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None

I'm a die hard 2/3 door fan, but you're wrong here. 4 door GTIs have existed since the Mk1, with the exception of the Mk4. There was however a Mk4 R32 that was 4 door'd and the uber rare 4 door Golf GLS 1.8T. The Mk1s were not very common, and not sold in the states. The Mk2 and Mk3s were also not sold in the US. I can't find a high res Mk3 pic, but the majority were 20th AE GTIs.