GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Arrivals??

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Order guides are out, they sent me one back in November. It’s in black and white but I can post it here if anyone is interested. I told them I’d be getting DSG in Lapiz or Indium so they probably figure it’s low risk and we have a good relationship.

Edit: Below are the guides. Dealer sent me invoice guide in B&W, I found the retail guide in color.

Invoice B&W: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fRRIy5AfPLHBR2s4oXz001TotdhAOHmE

Retail Color: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qYgKxXN-ErYEnzdgSS4QzInFzhy8keQ4
Not sure why you'd order a normal color on the 19's but you do you.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Not sure why you'd order a normal color on the 19's but you do you.

I dont think the spektrums are worth an extra $2500. If anything I'd get Jazz Blue but I don't think its worth 2500 for a different shade of blue. Lapiz is very nice and subtle for me. Also the probability that it won't affect resale value down the road. Just my .02. Now if they had Nardo Gray for the US 19s, different story.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I dont think the spektrums are worth an extra $2500. If anything I'd get Jazz Blue but I don't think its worth 2500 for a different shade of blue. Lapiz is very nice and subtle for me. Also the probability that it won't affect resale value down the road. Just my .02. Now if they had Nardo Gray for the US 19s, different story.

+1

I don't personally see the optional colors being worth it either.

And it still doesn't look like they have that dark green that the R had in that Car & Driver comparison a few years ago.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

I think he meant you should be able to find regular colors in dealer lots and why would you want to place a factory order.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Will anyone be able to special order anything other than a special color? Might be why VW is offering custom colors.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
The "new" particulate filters, is this urea injection?

No, it's like the DPFs (Diesel particulate filter). Kind of like a catalytic converter but its main purpose is to reduce and remove NOx. Most DPFs accomplish this by burning it and i'm assuming GPFs (or OPFs as the europeans like to call them) use the same principle

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
No, it's like the DPFs (Diesel particulate filter). Kind of like a catalytic converter but its main purpose is to reduce and remove NOx. Most DPFs accomplish this by burning it and i'm assuming GPFs (or OPFs as the europeans like to call them) use the same principle

Pretty sure that it's actually to catch the small direct injection particles. So you won't be belching out clouds of carbon particles. Pretty much says it's function in it's name "particulate filter".

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Pretty sure that it's actually to catch the small direct injection particles. So you won't be belching out clouds of carbon particles. Pretty much says it's function in it's name "particulate filter".

Yes, soot is carbon particles from incomplete combustion... hence why you see black clouds out the tailpipe sometimes under heavy load. Diesels being direct injected for a while now have been the bigger culprit this whole time. Port injected engines create less soot then DI engines. Since direct injected engines have appeared in gas engines, they too can cause similar effects like diesels do. Incomplete combustion which leads to soot is one of the main culprits that causes NOx...

Here's a good read

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X15000432

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I think he meant you should be able to find regular colors in dealer lots and why would you want to place a factory order.

Good call, I read it differently. It’s a good opportunity since I’m in the market. If it doesn’t work out or I don’t like their pricing then I’ll just go to another dealer and use it as leverage.

I’m not sure how the market is in Canada since this program launched but I’d think most US dealers will order some random colors and they’ll probably be marked up especially at the beginning. I’d rather just order what works for me since I have no commitment or risk in this scenario.