GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test drove an '18 GTI SE DSG - very disappointed

only1harry

Ready to race!
Now before you start your flaming wars I am pretty sure there was something wrong with this car's transmission or something else wrong with it. I was really looking forward to purchasing it today because of the attractive price that was $4,400 below sticker, and I need a car for the winter.

First thing that kind of raised a red flag with me was when the sales guy said they had to get the car "out of storage" from their other lot several miles down the road. I asked him when they took delivery of the car and after looking it up he said 5-6 months ago...(!) So I am guessing it was more like 6, if not more. The car had been sitting for a long while which could mean nothing, or explain some things, like the front brake caliper burning smell (piston binding) and grinding noise, whenever I applied the brakes, and when I released the brake pedal. We both got out and I asked the salesman to get close to the wheel and smell that burning odor. He agreed it was the caliper. That was the only thing we agreed on.

Anyway, on with the rest of the test drive. First thing I noticed there was excessive vibration in the steering wheel at low speeds or any speed which got worse under acceleration and higher RPM's. Maybe a lug not was loose but it didn't feel like that (I had a wheel come off when they forgot to tighten the lug nuts a long time ago so I know that kind of vibration) and didn't feel like it needed the wheels balanced. This was different like the drivetrain or a ball joint or something. Or like the steering rack had a slightly loose mounting point somewhere. Then under moderate acceleration the car would shake and hesitate. It took a couple of seconds to get moving or accelerating linearly or "normal", and under semi-hard acceleration this got much worse because there was wheel spin mixed in.

The test drive was 7 miles and the problems were there the whole time on different road surfaces and varying speeds. I never got to go past 50mph. The steering vibration that was present the entire time at all speeds and more pronounced under acceleration was annoying, but when the car started shaking and hesitating when I wanted to accelerate, that was the final straw for me. It indicated there was something wrong with that car, and if I had to guess I would say the fuel filter might have been clogged, or there was a problem with the tranny. It could have been there was old gas in the tank that had gone bad in 6 months (gas goes bad sometimes after 1-2 months), even though the salesman said he just got back from the gas station. That old gas was still in it though, possibly providing poor performance and causing the hesitation and back & forth shaking. Still doesn't explain steering vibrations at very low speeds (20-35mph that I averaged around town).

They only had 1 other GTI on the lot that was a manual. I decided not to drive the manual to see how it compared, as I wanted to compare apples to apples. I am going to try to test drive another DSG/auto at another dealer and see how that goes. Not many 2018 DSG's out there though, and that was the only black SE auto within 50-60 miles :( I like the GTI best in black.

To be honest another thing I was not thrilled about was the excessive noise in the cabin. This particular car I drove had too much road noise, and I felt the engine sounded "buzzy" and noisy (is that with all of them?), probably because of all that noise making inside of the car, but it wasn't a very pleasant "noise". My brother's '98 Integra Type-R is noisy but that engine sounds so sweet, it's a nice welcomed noise that I don't mind at all. Still I was surprised at the road noise at lower speeds and I only hit 50mph maybe twice. The road noise started getting pronounced at 35-40mph which I did not expect. I only knew it 'd be much worse at highway speed. We never got to get on the highway because of an accident and a 2 mile grid lock so we made a U-turn and stayed on backroads.

Anyway I expected a little more refinement from the GTI in the noise department. The car handled fine and the acceleration was decent once it got going after it shook, hesitated and rattled. I also got a good amount of wheel spin (37 deg. out) under moderate acceleration, especially when making a turn from a stop light or stop sign. It was really hard to drive the car enthusiastically without wheel spin, and I never went above ~4,500 RPM. I did not rev the engine too high with 13 miles on it, and wanted to be respectful of whoever buys this car. I am sure some of the traction issues had to do with brand new greasy tires too. They need a few hundred miles to break in, but tires also don't like sitting for 6 months. They harden up and result in reduced traction. So I did not take off points for wheel spin knowing the tires had 13 mi. on them and were sitting for 6 months. To be clear that wasn't a deal breaker for me at all. The other things were.

Anyway, that's my story. Has anyone experienced the vibrations and brief hesitation (shaking back & forth) I just described with their GTI? The salesman tried to convince me it was normal because "everything was just braking in". I didn't buy it, but it could have been bad gas. The constant steering vibration was something else entirely though.

If the salesman or sales manager, who I saw after the test drive, had said we will have a technician drive it and see if we can fix the issues I reported, I would have gone back and test drove the car again. But they never said that and expected me to buy the car "as is". That's just nuts.

Harry

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
My bet is the tires are flat spotted. As far as the engine and cabin noise, it’s an upscale economy car with a 4 cylinder engine and you are coming from a BMW with a magnificent inline 6. They are very different engines. I came to a GTI from a 2014 328i. That car had a 2.0 liter turbo 4 cylinder but it’s a smoother engine than in the GTI as it should for the price. But overall the GTI is a great car and you will get used to the relative lack of refinement. It’s the most refined car in its class.

Last, it’s not easy to put 220 hp through the front wheels. Launching from a start is different than in a RWD car. VW uses soft engine mounts to keep vibration low. You can change the mounts and the car will hook up better but depending on the dog bone mount you choose you may feel more vibration in the car.

442GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I would say there was something wrong with the car you drove, obviously. Stay away, go look for another. My 2018 is smooth, quiet, and very solid.

only1harry

Ready to race!
No, it had nothing to do with flat spotted tires. I have had a few flat spotted tires (my GSR sits for ~3-4 months in the winter and they get flat spotted) and all you hear is "thump thump thump" as they roll, but they eventually straighten out after a couple of miles, unless the car was sitting for 1-2 years. Absolutely nothing to do with the vibration and shaking I experienced.

I never tried to compare it to my Bimmer. I know better. I had a 2015 Mazda 3 Sport GT (the dealer totaled it) until recently, and have owned several Civics, plus I still have my '99 Integra GSR. I also test drove the Civic Si right after the GTI because the dealer was a couple of minutes down the road. The Si had some wheel spin too and about the same road noise/cabin noise, but absolutely NO vibrations or hesitations and the steering wheel had no vibrations either. The Si was like a "normal" sporty FWD car that I am very used to driving. I would never compare a 4cyl FWD car to my 335i, not even the Type-R. They are so different they might as well be from 2 different planets.

There was something wrong with that GTI, period. Bad/old gas would explain the hesitation and shaking on acceleration but the good amount of vibration it had in the steering wheel all the time, including low speeds was not flat spotted tires or wheel balance, unless 1 of the tires was defective and out spec, assuming it was nothing mechanical. Out of spec/bad tire is a little rare but it happens sometimes. I 've had so many cars and go through so many tires (I have 3-4 cars at any given time including my wife's) that I had an out of spec tire a few years ago, and it gave me constant steering vibrations, so it could have been the same with the GTI. And the hesitation could have been the 6 month old gas that was in it. So both those issues could be fairly easily resolved, and I could have eventually bought the car - IF the dealer was willing to acknowledge them and resolve them. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

only1harry

Ready to race!
I would say there was something wrong with the car you drove, obviously. Stay away, go look for another. My 2018 is smooth, quiet, and very solid.

Thanks Craig. The GTI you describe is what I am looking for. At this point I am even willing to look at a more expensive '18 Autobahn, if I can find one, which I think is what you have. Does the Autobahn come with the DSG? I am kind of tired of driving a stick. I 've had nothing but manual cars for 30 years. What did you pay for yours if I may ask?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
TLDR

Maybe they hadn’t removed the shipping pucks from the front suspension.

Just test drive another one. Fail on their part for pulling a car out of storage for you to demo.

only1harry

Ready to race!
TLDR

Maybe they hadn’t removed the shipping pucks from the front suspension.

Just test drive another one. Fail on their part for pulling a car out of storage for you to demo.

They did remove them. That's the first thing I asked. They had it in the shop prepping it for me and checking it out.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
They did remove them. That's the first thing I asked. They had it in the shop prepping it for me and checking it out.

Did you look at it yourself? Plenty of people on here have come home with cars that have been “dealer prepped”, and yet the shipping pucks were still left in.

Anyway, hopefully you get to check out one that’s in proper working order.

zech912

Ready to race!
there is a black SE here in Scottsdale AZ. it was the one color I would not have for my GTI. :). So they brought in a White Silver, has zero of the issues you describe. Wonderfully smooth and i must carefully watch the speedo because the car accelerates fast, and steady.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The vibration was from flat spots in the tires. If I had to guess they were underinflated from sitting for so long.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
You might have had a bad apple.

Your description makes me wonder if the shipping pucks were removed as mentioned earlier. Wheel spin is a known issue as discussed several times because of those terrible OEM tires. Even after break-in, most people have that issue with those tires.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
another for going to another dealer and trying a different one....if you also don't like that one you'll know