GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel Average

Denny1

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2014 1.6 TDi that was purchased nearly a year ago used to show an average driving consumption of 60 to sometimes near 70 to the gallon.
I messed about on the settings a few weeks ago with settings.
It now shows Long Term and a reading of only 55ish mpg:confused:
Have tried getting back to original settings without success.
Mind you I don’t know what they where originally.
Would really like some info if possible.
Many Thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My 2014 1.6 TDi that was purchased nearly a year ago used to show an average driving consumption of 60 to sometimes near 70 to the gallon.
Many Thanks

The long term driving data resets itself after 100 hours of driving time, so it might be that it’s recently reset itself. How many hours driving time is it showing have been covered in the long term data?

Also, from my experience with diesel engined cars (my previous three cars were VW diesels), there’s a noticeable worsening in mpg during the colder winter months. When I had my mk6 GTD, fuel consumption used to deteriorate by 10-15% during the winter compared to the summer. This wouldn’t have been due to just a drop in ambient temperature at this time of year, and other factors are also likely to be influencing your fuel consumption - increased use of electrical components such as rear window demister, heater, lights, engine takes longer to get up to normal operating temperature etc. I also find that once the clocks change to GMT, there seems to be more stop/start driving and more traffic congestion in the evenings, which will also have an impact on fuel consumption.

This time of year, diesel fuel for sale at filling stations will be winter diesel which has additives in it to stop the fuel ‘waxing’ at low temperatures, and winter diesel isn’t as efficient as normal diesel, so is also likely to be a factor in the reduced mpg you’re getting.

bertj

Ready to race!
Turn the ignition on and make sure the display between the speedo and rev counter is showing Average Fuel Consumption. If not, use the arrow keys on the right side of the steering wheel to select Average Fuel Consumption. Now press the button labelled OK (also on the right side of the steering wheel) - every time you press this button the display will change to either 'Since Refuel/Long Term/Since Start'. You obviously need 'Since Start'. If you want to change this data on the Infotainment screen then select the button labelled 'Car' and touch the arrows on the top left and right of the screen.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Many Thanks

Lucky you - I only get an average of 49mpg...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So a nice long 1hr long drive down to Aviemore & one speed camera 60 & 70mph limits.....so car set to radar cruise..

& I got 48.3mpg!!….yay!! who needs diesel!!

Denny1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks reset as you said bertj and done a good amount of miles (194) in it. Mixed driving now showing up to 67mpg. :)

Turn the ignition on and make sure the display between the speedo and rev counter is showing Average Fuel Consumption. If not, use the arrow keys on the right side of the steering wheel to select Average Fuel Consumption. Now press the button labelled OK (also on the right side of the steering wheel) - every time you press this button the display will change to either 'Since Refuel/Long Term/Since Start'. You obviously need 'Since Start'. If you want to change this data on the Infotainment screen then select the button labelled 'Car' and touch the arrows on the top left and right of the screen.

Jon2

Ready to race!
I've managed over 63mpg in my 1.4TSI, but can't find the photo so putting this 61mpg image up.

Attachments

• 61mpg0.25mb.jpg
    61mpg0.25mb.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 436

Jon2

Ready to race!
Ahhh. forgot this 68mpg I managed to squeeze out over a 6-mile drive home recently. #ExtremeEcoDriving

Attachments

• 68mpg0.25mb.jpg
    68mpg0.25mb.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 393

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ahhh. forgot this 68mpg I managed to squeeze out over a 6-mile drive home recently. #ExtremeEcoDriving

How the hell di you do that?

I managed 52mpg on a 400mile trip once...& could beat it now the car is running better but 68mpg from a 1.4 petrol??…

I'd think I was killing the engine....

mind you I have 225 wide tyres & its in sport mode..& I have the 140bhp version...(actually 167+bhp)..:p