GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch issues

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
Well crap... I really hope it's not crank walk I do not want to replace the engine..

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
How can I tell if it's crank walk or if it's something else?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Well crap... I really hope it's not crank walk I do not want to replace the engine..

Do you notice any brake fluid leaking under the car from between the engine and transmission? Check master cylinder as well inside the cabin.

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
There is no leaking inside the cabin and as far as I can tell I haven't seen any leaking in the engine bay

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
How can I tell if it's crank walk or if it's something else?

It could be bad clutch TOB/release bearing and/or flywheel. It could explain the low clutch/brake fluid.

Otherwise, for crank walk, pull over right away (if it's safe to do so) the next time your clutch sticks, turn engine off and open your hood. Look at the pulleys on the passenger side of the engine block with the serpentine belt attached. If the pulley attached to the end of your crankshaft sticks out even 1/16" past the belt (pulley should be flush with belt), you likely have broken thrust bearing on crankshaft, causing crank walk and need new engine. As the crankshaft can 'walk' back to the normal position, you may want to check a few times over the next few days to make sure there is no crank walk. If it is in the early stages, you won't get any error codes, but once the damage builds, you will get CEL and all kinds of oil pressure and crankshaft errors.

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
Okay so I've had it at 3 different mechanics, had the lines bled 4 times, now I just replaced the bleeder block with the ECS bleeder block. Had the master cylinder ruled out. So now all that's left to do is drop the tranny... Some more symptoms I had is that the longer I drive it in one gear the more it sticks to the ground. And when it's stuck if I pump it a few times the pressure in the pedal increases and the clutch engages. Does this sound like a tob or slave cylinder? I'm really hoping it's not crank walk and if I have the tranny dropped i would like to just replace the whole clutch but before I drop the money on the clutch I wanted to make sure that sounds like a slave cylinder issue and not crank walk. Also my mechanic want to charge 1100 bucks to drop the tranny and replace clutch so I'm hesitant to have them do it and spend money on a clutch if it is crank walk.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Is 1100 just for labor? If so, find a different mechanic. The symptoms you are describing do sound like a faulty slave cylinder (but also crank walk), however, most of the time they leak when they're going out which you would see fluid leaking from under the trans.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
holy crap this sounds terrible.

This could be one of those situations where it's gonna cost you so much to fix it you should just trade the car in.

I would definitely look into the cost/benefit of simply getting rid of the car. Might be cheaper over the long run just to ditch it since you're obviously going to get fleeced here if it's what people are suspecting.

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
holy crap this sounds terrible.

This could be one of those situations where it's gonna cost you so much to fix it you should just trade the car in.

I would definitely look into the cost/benefit of simply getting rid of the car. Might be cheaper over the long run just to ditch it since you're obviously going to get fleeced here if it's what people are suspecting.
I've been thinking the same thing. How does one go about doing that? It's a used branded title. I was upside down on my last car so the loan is quite larger than the car is worth at this point. What would my options be in that case?

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
another thing you can do to check for crank walk that's much cheaper than dropping the tranny is having them drop the oil pan. Crank walk is typically caused by failed thrust bearing which allows the crankshaft to move laterally back and forth.

If you do have a busted thrust bearing, it will end up in the oil pan. You will also find metal shavings in the oil pan as the crankshaft rips up the inside of your engine while "walking".

Dropping the oil pan shouldn't cost much more than an oil change.

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
I'll have to do that! I did buy a new clutch so I will probably end up dropping the tranny anyways next week! I'll drop the oil pan along with it and see if I wasted my money or not....

Last edited:

Gavman

Car(s)
Kia Stinger GT
Would you be able to move the crank pulley if it were crank walk, I just went in and it's super solid no play or anything!