GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic FAIL, please help

Gruvdone1

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased ECU/TCU stage 1 tunes + UniConnect cable for my 17 GTI, and am having a massive roadblock.

Running Windows 7 / IE 11 per Uni's recommendations. I downloaded the cable driver software, plugged my cable in - it is seen by the system, and the light is flashing green, go to run the driver installer... first get a message that the driver is unsigned (which is in direct conflict with Uni's stated claim), I click the 'always trust' option, and the installer starts then almost immediately fails with the message that 'UniConnect Cable Not Found'...

Um.. what?

I have installed every available update, tried restarting the computer, all to no avail.

Of course, the error message gives me a support number to call which does nothing but impart upon me the information that they are only open from M-F 9a-6p, because apparently they operate under the assumption that the people who use their product don't have jobs...

Anyway... sorry for the rant. Can anyone offer me ANYTHING to help me solve this. I didn't just spend all this money to look a red and white box.... ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

LAbrewin

Hey I had the same error happen when I first got my Unitronic cable. I'm running Windows 10, but the same error. I got on the phone and spoke with John, and he had me sorted within 20 minutes. I had to do was disable driver signature enforcement in the boot configuration settings. You may or may not have a different solution, but hopefully it's a quick fix as it was for me. For the record I've had no issues since.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Hey I had the same error happen when I first got my Unitronic cable. I'm running Windows 10, but the same error. I got on the phone and spoke with John, and he had me sorted within 20 minutes. I had to do was disable driver signature enforcement in the boot configuration settings. You may or may not have a different solution, but hopefully it's a quick fix as it was for me. For the record I've had no issues since.

Yep, I had to do this on my mk6 with eurodyne to make it work.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased ECU/TCU stage 1 tunes + UniConnect cable for my 17 GTI, and am having a massive roadblock.

Running Windows 7 / IE 11 per Uni's recommendations. I downloaded the cable driver software, plugged my cable in - it is seen by the system, and the light is flashing green, go to run the driver installer... first get a message that the driver is unsigned (which is in direct conflict with Uni's stated claim), I click the 'always trust' option, and the installer starts then almost immediately fails with the message that 'UniConnect Cable Not Found'...

Um.. what?

I have installed every available update, tried restarting the computer, all to no avail.

Of course, the error message gives me a support number to call which does nothing but impart upon me the information that they are only open from M-F 9a-6p, because apparently they operate under the assumption that the people who use their product don't have jobs...

Anyway... sorry for the rant. Can anyone offer me ANYTHING to help me solve this. I didn't just spend all this money to look a red and white box.... ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Remain calm, call support as soon as they're available, and let them help you. Also take note of the suggestions here. Not sure why you title your post "unitronic fail" when the issue might be on your end the entire time (your lack of technical skill).

Gruvdone1

Remain calm, call support as soon as they're available, and let them help you. Also take note of the suggestions here. Not sure why you title your post "unitronic fail" when the issue might be on your end the entire time (your lack of technical skill).

Well, I can't say I really appreciate your condescension and presumption. While I did eventually find the solution to this particular problem, it still 100% qualifies as a Unitronic fail, as they do not properly sign their drivers, despite their claims to the contrary.

With regards to support - their hours completely overlap with the hours I am working and unable to sit for an extended period of time to have a discussion on the phone, hence the reason I turn to community resources such as this. If you had actually read my post instead of engaging in a knee-jerk reaction based on the title, you might've caught on to that bit. You might also have caught on to the bit where I was able to resolve this issue ultimately. Perhaps your issue with my post is entirely on your end (your lack of reading comprehension skill).

So, unless you've something helpful to contribute, I'd thank you to keep your baseless supposition and passive aggressive insults to yourself.

Last edited:

Gruvdone1

I was ultimately able to get everything up and running last night on my GTI. Then this morning I went to install the stage 1 ECU Flash I bought for my Wife's 2017 Golf Wolfsburg. I bought a second cable, registered to its VIN, and was able to successfully activate it.

When I did so, a different version of the UniConnect+ application downloaded and installed. Presumably the different version was owing to the fact I'd be flashing a different flavor of engine.

So, then I go to hook everything up. The software read the VIN on my Wife's car and it matched up to what I had registered, but when I go to execute the tune, I get a message saying "There are no Tuned Files available to select from".

Sigh

I have reached out to John Staffi as suggested, and he said he can get back to me tomorrow. I also opened a support ticket, but I thought I'd ping this off here and see if anyone else has had this issue, and what the solution to it ultimately was.

Thanks again

adam1991

Banned
Well, I can't say I really appreciate your condescension and presumption. While I did eventually find the solution to this particular problem, it still 100% qualifies as a Unitronic fail, as they do not properly sign their drivers, despite their claims to the contrary.

No.

Lurkers and searchers will find this thread with this title, and make ALL SORTS of incorrect assumptions about it.

Because the fact is, the Unitronic tune DID NOT FAIL.

You should have had some more respect and titled the thread, "Help--Unitronic installation problems".

Unitronic the company did not fail. Their product did not fail. But you couldn't make it all work, and your first blast to the world was, "UNITRONIC FAIL!"

Eye-dee ten tee errors do not a product fail make.

With regards to support - their hours completely overlap with the hours I am working and unable to sit for an extended period of time to have a discussion on the phone, hence the reason I turn to community resources such as this.

And your method of turning to the community was to yell like a three year old, "UNITRONIC FAIL!".

And you're shocked at the community's response?????

You tell us that Unitronic isn't available during your available hours, so you come here yelling like a three year old and, frankly, demanding things--including demanding to be treated with respect???

If you had actually read my post instead of engaging in a knee-jerk reaction based on the title, you might've caught on to that bit.

We all read the post. We also know who and what we're dealing with here when the thread title is "UNITRONIC FAIL!" but the content is "I am having problems running the software".

So, unless you've something helpful to contribute, I'd thank you to keep your baseless supposition and passive aggressive insults to yourself.

No, you don't get off nearly that easy. You acted like the poster child for eye-dee ten tee errors, and the community you went to will call you out on it.

Do you expect help from the community again? I think not, based on your overall behavior here.

Gruvdone1

No.

Lurkers and searchers will find this thread with this title, and make ALL SORTS of incorrect assumptions about it.

The fact that we live in a society in which people judge the content of a thing by it's headline or title is a huge problem, but frankly its not my responsibility to concern myself with an incorrect assumption someone else may or not make of it

Because the fact is, the Unitronic tune DID NOT FAIL.

I followed Unitronic's directions TO THE LETTER and it didn't work. They state quite emphatically that their drivers are all signed, and in the directions indicate that in the unlikely event Windows still balks, one could allow an exemption and the drivers would install without issue.

This is not the case.. not at all.

The fact that it is commonplace for people to have to disable security features on their OS to make this product work, and that the product does not work as intended when following the instructions provided is an absolute failure on the part of Unitronic.

It's so clear-cut, even a 3-year old could see it.

You should have had some more respect and titled the thread, "Help--Unitronic installation problems".

When I wrote that post, I had been battling with this process for hours, dealing with numerous frustrations and roadblocks. Most of these were to do with the process of installing Windows 7 on a bootcamp partition, but frustrations add up, and when I finally got around to this part, after everything else, it was one straw too many for the back of this particular camel. I came here in a state of both desperation and exasperation looking for help from folks who had maybe been in this situation before.

A few people could see that - because they read the post and could likely empathize with the state I was in, and I thanked them for it. Those exchanges were respectful, and in keeping with the spirit of a place like this. It wasn't until you and your forum wife came on here with your soapboxes did it denigrate to this state.

Are you going to stand there in your glass house and tell me you've never had an emotional reaction to something? I'm an imperfect human, but frankly your response to all of this is hyperbolic and unnecessary.

Unitronic the company did not fail. Their product did not fail. But you couldn't make it all work, and your first blast to the world was, "UNITRONIC FAIL!"

In fact, they did. The details of this are quite clearly outlined above, no need to go over it again.

Eye-dee ten tee errors do not a product fail make.

Attempts at being clever do not reinforce the validity of your point.

And you're shocked at the community's response?????

No, the 'community' for the most part was actually quite helpful. It's the response of you and your forum wife that I find absurd. Not 'shocking' as you put it, just facepalm worthy on a large scale.

You tell us that Unitronic isn't available during your available hours, so you come here yelling like a three year old and, frankly, demanding things--including demanding to be treated with respect???

I never yelled, there are no all caps spots anywhere in my OP besides FAIL, ANYTHING, and ANY. There's not even so much as an exclamation point to infer an elevated voice. Further, I demanded nothing. I asked politely, even my frustration-driven title had the word 'please' in it, and my conclusion to that post expressed my gratitude to any help which could be offered.

So far you have demonstrated that you don't know the meaning of the following things:

- Yelling
- Demanding
- Disrespect
- What constitutes a failure

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

We all read the post. We also know who and what we're dealing with here when the thread title is "UNITRONIC FAIL!" but the content is "I am having problems running the software".

All of this for an argument over semantics? And I'm the one acting like a child? Nice.

No, you don't get off nearly that easy. You acted like the poster child for eye-dee ten tee errors, and the community you went to will call you out on it.

Do you expect help from the community again? I think not, based on your overall behavior here.

That's rich.. so you're the self appointed voice for the community? Well, so far there are 3 people who did't crap their pants at the words used in the title of my post and instead offered advice, and I am immensely grateful to all 3 of them from it. So, we have those three, and now you and Sean who apparently can't hold your mimosas and see nothing better to do with your post-Sunday brunch to come in here and take a dump all over a new member who found themselves in a frustrating and desperate position.

I suspect that those who are polite and helpful will continue to be so, and I will return the favor in kind any time I am capable of doing so. What I won't do is take someone to task for asking for help because I don't like that they didn't meditate for a half hour before making their plea for help.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
YOU were the "FAIL", and when someone calls you on it you call him "condescending" and "presumptuous".

Your attempts to defend your indefensible behavior did not go unnoticed here, and your continuing attempts to defend your indefensible behavior continue not to go unnoticed here.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I think everyone needs to take a step back and take a deep breath. I absolutely understand where some community members are coming from regarding the thread's title. After all, first impressions are incredibly important and it is entirely reasonable to presume based off of thread titles. It isn't that big of a deal, though, and I think some are pulling at strings for the sake of it.

On the other hand, I completely understand Gruvdone's frustration (regardless if it is user error or not), as I experienced a pretty disgruntling experience with tuning Unitronic myself. What I can say with 100% certainty however is that John will bend over backwards into different dimensions to help solve a problem and make a customer happy. That is only made easier when everyone remains calm and collected.

Gruvdone, I hope John was able to get things squared away with you so you and your S.O. can get back to enjoying your new and improved vehicles. I've been tuned with Unitronic for close to 15k miles and haven't regretted it at all despite my initial experience with the product.