GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gasoline grade in 2018 GTI

LDB

The owners have no control over this. The brand’s tanker comes and fills the underground tank.

But do they have more water or other contaminants in their tanks than other stations? Do they add some cheaper for them to buy fuel from another source? I agree the (brand) tanker is only going to have their specific fuel on board, it's the other variables I wonder about.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
ITT people find it hard to believe that 93 octane can be compressed more and detonated later than 87, and the the ECU can recognize this and adjust.

The only way to silence the peanut gallery is to put a stock car on the same dyno with different tanks of fuel.

Clearly, ignorance is bliss for you

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
ITT people find it hard to believe that 93 octane can be compressed more and detonated later than 87, and the the ECU can recognize this and adjust.

The only way to silence the peanut gallery is to put a stock car on the same dyno with different tanks of fuel.
I think the majority of the pnut gallery somewhat agrees with this...except w/o a tune it is doubtful you'll see an improvement from 91-93. Many of us just don't use all 220 HP very often so 87 is fine for us (and the engine).

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I think the majority of the pnut gallery somewhat agrees with this...except w/o a tune it is doubtful you'll see an improvement from 91-93. Many of us just don't use all 220 HP very often so 87 is fine for us (and the engine).

Are you sure we don't use all the HP often? Doing hard launches off the line and full throttle passes uses all the power. However the point is we probably can't tell the difference between the 5% or so we lose by not taking advantage of the fully advanced timing.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Are you sure we don't use all the HP often? Doing hard launches off the line and full throttle passes uses all the power. However the point is we probably can't tell the difference between the 5% or so we lose by not taking advantage of the fully advanced timing.

Well your car has a power gauge. Do you see all 163KW's every time you drive? I don't, even when I'm pushing the car mainly because being in the correct gear means you don't have to use full throttle to get a lot of scoot. Still use 91 octane though.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Well your car has a power gauge. Do you see all 163KW's every time you drive? I don't, even when I'm pushing the car mainly because being in the correct gear means you don't have to use full throttle to get a lot of scoot. Still use 91 octane though.

Not the point. It’s all an academic exercise anyway.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
But do they have more water or other contaminants in their tanks than other stations? Do they add some cheaper for them to buy fuel from another source? I agree the (brand) tanker is only going to have their specific fuel on board, it's the other variables I wonder about.

This is the issue with quite a few "branded" stations, they buy spot fuel and margin fuel. Branded stations are generally franchised and few "company" owned stations are around anymore. The franchise owner can sometimes choose which gas to fill his/her tanks with unless they have a wholesale contract dictated by the brand company. Some find the appeal of cheap fuel as they have less profit margin on non-fuel products ie; the stuff you buy inside. A mom and pop retailer stands little chance to make the same money inside as say like a QT or similar so they resort to profit with fuel purchases. Those pennies add up for them in volume sales and if they can buy the crappy spot and margin fuels, all that much more profit. Spot and margin fuel is basically left over fuels or over reserved fuel that needs to be moved and is sold cheaper that wholesale. It's like the proverbial Forrest Gump box of chocolates, never know what you gonna get. It could be straight unadditized 87, over-reserved 89, hell it could be fresh Shell 93, but only renant loads from incomplete fuelings at a local Shell station. It could be mixed together, could have missed a water mitigation treatment at storage, all kinds of stuff. So, short story, this mess could end up in your tank even though you got it a branded station that advertises top tier fuels. Best bet is to ask the owner/manager where they get their fuel from. Do they purchase from the larger wholesale contract jobber? Probably going to get decent fuel. Do they spot purchase or receive fuel loads from the local rackers with the unmarked trucks? Might be like what Forrest says.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
This is the issue with quite a few "branded" stations, they buy spot fuel and margin fuel. Branded stations are generally franchised and few "company" owned stations are around anymore. The franchise owner can sometimes choose which gas to fill his/her tanks with unless they have a wholesale contract dictated by the brand company. Some find the appeal of cheap fuel as they have less profit margin on non-fuel products ie; the stuff you buy inside. A mom and pop retailer stands little chance to make the same money inside as say like a QT or similar so they resort to profit with fuel purchases. Those pennies add up for them in volume sales and if they can buy the crappy spot and margin fuels, all that much more profit. Spot and margin fuel is basically left over fuels or over reserved fuel that needs to be moved and is sold cheaper that wholesale. It's like the proverbial Forrest Gump box of chocolates, never know what you gonna get. It could be straight unadditized 87, over-reserved 89, hell it could be fresh Shell 93, but only renant loads from incomplete fuelings at a local Shell station. It could be mixed together, could have missed a water mitigation treatment at storage, all kinds of stuff. So, short story, this mess could end up in your tank even though you got it a branded station that advertises top tier fuels. Best bet is to ask the owner/manager where they get their fuel from. Do they purchase from the larger wholesale contract jobber? Probably going to get decent fuel. Do they spot purchase or receive fuel loads from the local rackers with the unmarked trucks? Might be like what Forrest says.

I'm not that familiar with the gas station industry, but I've always been under the impression that a Shell station (or Mobil, Amoco, Citgo, whoever) has to buy their fuel from whichever supplier is specified by their franchise company, and hence, QA is maintained. Drop down a tier to Speedway or one of the other convenience store chains masquerading as a gas station, and you will get "deal-of-the-week" fuel, whatever that happens to be... Or will you? I see a lot of places on the Top Tier Website that aren't old, recognized names in the petroleum industry, and one of them even states that all gasoline comes from the same refineries, but it's the additives and ethanol content (or lack thereof) that make a fuel Top Tier.
Personally, I make it a point to only buy fuel from Costco, since it's down the street from my office (no lines mid-week!), Top Tier, and roughly $.50/gallon cheaper than any of the local stations for 93 Octane.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I'm not that familiar with the gas station industry, but I've always been under the impression that a Shell station (or Mobil, Amoco, Citgo, whoever) has to buy their fuel from whichever supplier is specified by their franchise company, and hence, QA is maintained. Drop down a tier to Speedway or one of the other convenience store chains masquerading as a gas station, and you will get "deal-of-the-week" fuel, whatever that happens to be... Or will you? I see a lot of places on the Top Tier Website that aren't old, recognized names in the petroleum industry, and one of them even states that all gasoline comes from the same refineries, but it's the additives and ethanol content (or lack thereof) that make a fuel Top Tier.
Personally, I make it a point to only buy fuel from Costco, since it's down the street from my office (no lines mid-week!), Top Tier, and roughly $.50/gallon cheaper than any of the local stations for 93 Octane.

And most are on the up and up. Like I said, some franchise owners are going to try and cheap out. Doesn't happen that often, but when it does, they get screwed if caught by the brand company. Especially if it violates the minimum additive level of the Top Tier standard. Independents? Happens more than you realize. There is one particular Independent in my area that is known to do this. Lots of complaints but Stewie doesn't care as long as the bucks roll in.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
95%+ of the time I get it at either the Mobil near my house or the Shell next to Home Depot. Then Valero near house...only real rule is I avoid the gas stations that always are less than all the others (learned after bad gas from a Merit station 2x years ago). Rules are off when travelling cause travelling.