GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter plus summer or all season tires

MrPEZident

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA 2017 GTI SE
I had a set of winters and Continental ExtremeContact all season tires on my GTI. I wanted to have my Pretorias with all season tires for the maximum time on the vehicle.

I will run this set-up/scenario too as soon as my GTI arrives. I have a set of 19" Pretorias with brand new Conti EC all-season's in the garage ready to go and I am going to use the stock wheels for my Yoko Ice Guards in winter.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Better than being wrong! :cool:

But since the half right I am, is about the forum about tires and wheel... anyone who posts a question about wheels or tires here should be flamed to death. Not understanding that and being combative about it (like yourself), just makes the person a drama queen. So I guess I'm 100% correct!

This doesn't extend to people new to the forum, but you are not.
When was the last time you were wrong?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I got semi-flamed for recently daring to ask about which UHP tire is good for summer. Prepare to be told you are an idiot by some for either not running true summer tires or, gasp, something other than Michelin Pilot A/Ss. PM me if you want to know what I ordered today from Tire Rack.

So it's OK for you to criticize others but you complain about getting flamed? What are you, like 16? Grow up.

cb1111

All-season tires are a compromise, invented for the lazy. Anyone willing to sacrifice performance (on either end of the weather scale) for the sake of convenience is fooling themselves. A/S tires do a good job of keeping your wheels from contacting the road surface, but that's about all they're good for.

A set of real summer performance tires will make your GTI (or any car) that much nicer to drive when the weather is good, and a set of proper winter tires are cheaper than towing fees and collision repair. Aside from the initial cost of a set of winter wheels, having 2 sets won't set you back that much, since the mileage is now divided between the two.

That statement seems more like an opinion and not a fact.
A/S tires have a place for any car and are not "just for the lazy"

Some people live in a climate where it doesn't have awful inclement weather but the temps get too cold for summers. Some people don't drive their cars to the limit. Some people have no place to store the second set.

Most importantly, the majority of cars and drivers out there have no need for anything but all seasons - think of the Camry/Civic/landbarge driver in Florida. Those owners aren't lazy - but the A/S is the tire for them.

However, the people on forums are different. They either drive their cars hard or brag that they are. For those, the summer/winter combo is good - but there also is a financial component to this - run the all seasons in the summer and winters in the winter - at least until you say "You know, I'm exceeding the limits of my tires.

ClubSandwiches

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m loving my Continental DWS. Personally, I prefer them over a set of Super Sports I had on my previous GTI. They were grippy but wore down fast. DWS feel just as good with less noise. Only time will tell on treadwear. A/S for me here in the northeast.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
However, the people on forums are different. They either drive their cars hard or brag that they are. For those, the summer/winter combo is good - but there also is a financial component to this - run the all seasons in the summer and winters in the winter - at least until you say "You know, I'm exceeding the limits of my tires.

Right, and this is a forum for enthusiasts, is it not?

As far as A/S tires being "good enough" for most people, I suppose you're correct. Most people are as enthusiastic about cars as they are about dishwashers. But perhaps if they weren't, the roads wouldn't be clogged up with so many badly-driven crossover-utes? Just a thought.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
So it's OK for you to criticize others but you complain about getting flamed? What are you, like 16? Grow up.
1) The question wasn’t directed to you. I realize you have 8000 mostly insipid posts, but please try to control yourself.

2). Read the posts. In order. Thank you.

Last edited:

cb1111

Right, and this is a forum for enthusiasts, is it not?

As far as A/S tires being "good enough" for most people, I suppose you're correct. Most people are as enthusiastic about cars as they are about dishwashers. But perhaps if they weren't, the roads wouldn't be clogged up with so many badly-driven crossover-utes? Just a thought.

Agreed.