GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Question for RickyMK7R - was your tune running particularly rich when the turbo failed? I followed all the previous discussion, but none of it really fits with what the photos show. Obviously there is plenty of impact damage from bits of the turbine flying around, but the photos actually show erosion damage on a few of the blades as well. Most of my failure analysis experience is with industrial steam turbines, but it definitely looks like moisture impingement. A small amount of fuel going to the turbine won't usually hurt it as it stays in vapor form, but put enough in and it will form droplets when the pressure/temp drops across the turbine and erode the blades, especially if it's pulling timing and still adding fuel, this is a real possibility. The moisture also causes extra stress on all the bearings by adding lots of vibration, which could have led to blades contacting the housing.

Solid analysis. Thanks.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Pre-turbo water injection?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RickyMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
Question for RickyMK7R - was your tune running particularly rich when the turbo failed? I followed all the previous discussion, but none of it really fits with what the photos show. Obviously there is plenty of impact damage from bits of the turbine flying around, but the photos actually show erosion damage on a few of the blades as well. Most of my failure analysis experience is with industrial steam turbines, but it definitely looks like moisture impingement. A small amount of fuel going to the turbine won't usually hurt it as it stays in vapor form, but put enough in and it will form droplets when the pressure/temp drops across the turbine and erode the blades, especially if it's pulling timing and still adding fuel, this is a real possibility. The moisture also causes extra stress on all the bearings by adding lots of vibration, which could have led to blades contacting the housing.

The tune was not running all that righ and was running around 12.6 tapering to 11.9 up top when WOT.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
You get a GTI in the 1.6s and you're my new hero. :D
Um what.:) Do I get to be your hero? Pac as for the launches keeping your out of the 10's. Possibly, we ran 10 second passes with 1.72's, and run an 11.1 at almost a 1.9 60ft. My guess is its a combination of things keeping you out of the 10's. That last 2/10ths is going to be really hard to pick up. Keep trying, you should be able to get it one of these times. Our car was doing consistent 10 sec passes with 1.7 60 ft. If you can get your 60's down there, should be able to get it.

Attachments

• IMG_6029.JPG
    IMG_6029.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 428
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 422
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 430

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Um what.:) Do I get to be your hero? Pac as for the launches keeping your out of the 10's. Possibly, we ran 10 second passes with 1.72's, and run an 11.1 at almost a 1.9 60ft. My guess is its a combination of things keeping you out of the 10's. That last 2/10ths is going to be really hard to pick up. Keep trying, you should be able to get it one of these times. Our car was doing consistent 10 sec passes with 1.7 60 ft. If you can get your 60's down there, should be able to get it.

It'll be tough at my current power output for sure. DA and track prep has to be perfect for me to get in. I'll be installing a hpfp and up the ethanol from e30 to e50+ to see if I can get more timing and power. Will try again when weather gets cool again.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
Which is the one you'd want to update first for running more ethanol? Cam driver or tank driver? Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
It'll be tough at my current power output for sure. DA and track prep has to be perfect for me to get in. I'll be installing a hpfp and up the ethanol from e30 to e50+ to see if I can get more timing and power. Will try again when weather gets cool again.
Why bother with the HPFP? Now you are just limiting yourself to the flow restrictions of the factory DI injectors. Spend the money on a PI system, get rid of all the restrictions on the DI side. It is really only taking over under high boost conditions anyways. Now if the factory injectors were capable of a lot of flow like we see on the BMW N54's then the HPFP upgrade is worth it.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Why bother with the HPFP? Now you are just limiting yourself to the flow restrictions of the factory DI injectors. Spend the money on a PI system, get rid of all the restrictions on the DI side. It is really only taking over under high boost conditions anyways. Now if the factory injectors were capable of a lot of flow like we see on the BMW N54's then the HPFP upgrade is worth it.

I'm a cheap bastard. LOL. Plus cobb doesn't support MPI yet. If the HPFP is enough to get me to at least e50 I'll be happy.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
If MPI can be avoided, do it.

Without using E85, you are going to have reduced knock resistance. It's not great for running pump gas. The DI system is considerably better.