GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who money shifted here? :S

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-QddvL03s

Not saying you are incorrect. But look at his video on the 1/4 mi run.
Looks like his tach needle goes past 6k couple of times.
Or maybe im seeing things.

That's just the first 2 short gears - no difference.

I spoke with him and if you notice on the night run he went 2mph faster. He shifted 3-4 well under 6k.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Got to disagree with you kind sir. Hes shifting pass 6k on 3rd gear in that run. Not just first 2 gears. As for the night race he doesnt vid his tachometer, so i cant tell you when he shifted.

Heres another video-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOenOI9rlM

On 3rd gear he goes past 6.

Im mot saying you are wrong that the money spot is 5600-5800.. All im saying is homeboy here is indeed shiftinb at or pass 6k

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That Golf R in the video is big turbo. I think it might be an Iroz kit, can't remember.

Got to disagree with you kind sir. Hes shifting pass 6k on 3rd gear in that run. Not just first 2 gears. As for the night race he doesnt vid his tachometer, so i cant tell you when he shifted.

Heres another video-

Im mot saying you are wrong that the money spot is 5600-5800.. All im saying is homeboy here is indeed shiftinb at or pass 6k

If it's big turbo I'd hope he is shifting well past 6k. I think this convo has gotten confusing in relation to the video shifting vs what people should be shifting depending on what turbo they have.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
I was just referencing towards a is20 fast trap guy who seems to be shifting at or past 6k on his runs. In regards to expert knowledge on proper shift points in the 1/4 mi, I have no arguement or disagreeing because I gave zero experience with a mk7 gti at a 1/4 mi track.

BrianThatCoolGuy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
‘22 GTI 6MT
I have a pretty aggressively tuned stock IS20 DSG and my best runs in Mexico have been while shifting at around 6300rpm 2-3 and ~6k rpm 3-4. 4th gear pulls nicely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie

Heres another video-

Yeah no, i'm specifically referencing his 3-4 on the night run. Seth is on the maestro forum I am a moderator in, we spoke after his runs.

Either way, he gained 2mph from slightly better DA and shifting 2-300rpm sooner (~5800rpm).

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7

Heres another video-

And he probably would have trapped slower in that run in the video too. It's entertaining to watch you argue about how to drive fast is20 cars with people who have fast is20 cars.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Wasnt trying to argue with him. Hes a good guy on the forum. Do not try to mix my attentions. To be honest, you usually come off as a fairly opinionated person on the forums, from what I can tell. I try to be respectful on here, and im no race expert by any means. Im just a ex army door kicker. Weapon platforms,bodybuilding,mix martial arts is my subject latter in real life.
I learn something new everyday. Sometimes here on the forums. Im human like anyone else.

Thank you Wy2sl0

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
You can calculate your optimum shift points relatively easily. I''l probably do that once I go big turbo.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
5500-5800 rpm is the sweet spot for is20 cars. Leaves you around 4000 in the next gear, any lower is too low.

The tune and the transmission will affect this significantly. The M6 is geared closer so you can shift it lower without the revs dropping as much as the DSG cars.

Also tunes with higher boost levels (more TQ tapering off up top) might benefit from shorter shifts.

With the DSG and only 21.5psi peak, i have to rev it higher.

That sucks. I agree even if he hadn't money shifted the R driver wasn't driving the car well at all. With his trap speed he should have easily ran 11s, not 13.5 and a 12.

Exactly.

Even a shitty 2.0 60' should put that thing deep into the 12s if you get it moving efficiently in the first 1/8th.

You can calculate your optimum shift points relatively easily. I''l probably do that once I go big turbo.

There used to be a great website for it, where you could input your dyno #s at various points and all your gear ratios, and it would calculate it.

I looked for it awhile ago and couldn't find it.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Then that leaves out 99.9% of the members here. Not me, of course, because I drove a 2-1/2-ton truck and an 11,000 pound fork truck full-time for about a year professionally, in the late 70's, for Uncle Sam. You weren't talking about driving a racecar professionally, right? Who here ever did that full-time? I don't consider wanabee's who's local bar gives them $10 to slap their decal on the back of their car professionals.

I have, old fart. Drove NASCAR than Indy till I got bored with it. Does your retirement home allow you to drive your R?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Kinda off topic, but isn't 10.4 a bit slow for a 616whp s3?

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Just want to note I've pulled best strip times by shifting before redline. On non hybrid mk7 systems, most of the torque is a hit and scream type attitude. As in, baam and then a diminishing hold. This is conducive to 5.4 maybe 5.5k shifts instead of blowing past that redline. Watch a flash tuned car on the dyno... They drop power FAST .