GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuele springs loud after install - thoughts?

As you mentioned, a proper spring should not make any more noise versus stock (especially a linear spring where the coils do not touch). With a spring steel coil, it would be hard to make a squeak noise as that is something more common to a rubber material than hard metal. It's possible that by reinstalling, thus going through every bolt, was all it took to make the noise go away. Either way, please report back once the springs are reinstalled.

We install a ton of lowering springs at our facility, and as such are pretty keen to noises coming from the suspension. With everything installed and tightened properly, there should be no added noise versus stock (assuming other components are in order).

fabric8

Passed Driver's Ed
As you mentioned, a proper spring should not make any more noise versus stock (especially a linear spring where the coils do not touch). With a spring steel coil, it would be hard to make a squeak noise as that is something more common to a rubber material than hard metal. It's possible that by reinstalling, thus going through every bolt, was all it took to make the noise go away. Either way, please report back once the springs are reinstalled.

We install a ton of lowering springs at our facility, and as such are pretty keen to noises coming from the suspension. With everything installed and tightened properly, there should be no added noise versus stock (assuming other components are in order).

Just wanted to give an update on this. I re-installed my ED springs yesterday and I now have NO noises. I do not know what caused the previous noises. Then again, it's much warmer now already than it was in the winter when I experienced the noises. I'm still on OEM strutmounts (and now at 7k miles) and everything looks good.

Could the squeaks have been coming from the front swaybar bushings? Are aftermarket/longer swaybar end links recommended with lowering springs to prevent preload? I'm wondering if the slight additional preload caused by the 1" drop caused the swaybar to squeak against the rubber bushing as they'd be a little stiffer in the winter?

I've only ever had to use longer swaybar endlinks when they've come with coilovers. Never needed them for just springs on previous platforms I've worked on.

Last edited:

roclandsfinest23

Ready to race!
Just wanted to give an update on this. I re-installed my ED springs yesterday and I now have NO noises. I do not know what caused the previous noises. Then again, it's much warmer now already than it was in the winter when I experienced the noises. I'm still on OEM strutmounts (and now at 7k miles) and everything looks good.

Could the squeaks have been coming from the front swaybar bushings? Are aftermarket/longer swaybar end links recommended with lowering springs to prevent preload? I'm wondering if the slight additional preload caused by the 1" drop caused the swaybar to squeak against the rubber bushing as they'd be a little stiffer in the winter?

I've only ever had to use longer swaybar endlinks when they've come with coilovers. Never needed them for just springs on previous platforms I've worked on.

I'm having a similar noise coming only from the driver side suspension. Just checked all the bolts and everything is tight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Most likely VWR. Which I believe are also linear, from what I have read. That said, this is an often debated detail.

I have heard this mentioned elsewhere. Aren't VWR springs marketed as being linear? So is the vendor/manufacturer misleading consumers? Don't quite understand how this can't be easily confirmed.