GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245 35 19 on VWR springs: Warning

GIAC_gti

Hi everyone,

I just thought id post the following message because upon investigating before doing it there were mixed reviews on the matter:

I had 8.5 J wheels with et45 19" fitted with 245 35 19 profile tyres on VWR Springs.
It rubs on every single drive. It doesn't do it on a completely level surface but as soon as there's any minor dips or bumps in the road it rubs, if you take a highway curve at highway speeds, it rubs. So im fairly unhappy. I thought id help others in making an informed decision before buying.

The only plus side is that it grips a lot better on launch than the 225 profile but its not worth it in my opinion.

Going forward I could assume 235 doesn't have this issue at all since the G7R has this profile and the guys thats on VWR springs doesnt complain?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
What tires are you running. That's what it comes down to as every 245 is not the same based on tire brand

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

CZR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
VW Golf V GTI Ed. 30
235/35/R19 on 8J with 12mm spacers and VWR springs won't rub but that's the limit. Adding bigger spacers or TTS control arms will make hell break loose regarding tire rubbing problems :)

And yes, depends on your tire.

Last edited:

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
Must be that extra .5 on the wheels.........I am on 245/40/18 18x8 et45 and h&r springs which should drop it a little more and with just the fender screw mod I jet zero rubbing.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
235/35/R19 on 8J with 12mm spacers and VWR springs won't rub but that's the limit. Adding bigger spacers or TTS control arms will make hell break loose regarding tire rubbing problems :)

you running 235/35/19? 8.5 or 8 wheels? I'm looking to do a similar setup this summer on VWR or ED springs

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
If you have not yet done so, try the fender screw mod. Although I had 235s with the same wheel setup as yours, I would rub on big dips in the highway. The mod cured that so hoping it helps you out as well.

Reflex2dr

Ready to race!
Interesting because I have 19x9 Et 45 245/35 super sports which I hear are wider, and I just installed and I haven't rubbed on h&r. I guess we will see. Idk how much lower if any the VWR are.

Last edited:

Jon B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GTI & '07 TBSS
I'm running rse102's which are a 19x8.5", et+45 wheel with 235/35's and I have zero issues on VWR springs. The larger wheel really fills out the wheel openings also.

Reflex2dr

Ready to race!
I inspected after a days worth of driving (on new H&Rs 245/35 19x9 ET45) and there are some marks on the driver front tire now. So there is some rubbing but nothing i noticed while driving. I don't think the fender screw is even going to do anything in this case because it appears to be literally rubbing the edge of the fender. Kind of wishing i went with the 8.5" now but i hope this will be ok; if the springs settle much more I might have a problem. I would probably just add a slightly thicker isolator pad to the springs if it becomes a real issue. I have done an excessive amount of research and spoke with 3 or 4 people directly with this exact same dimensional setup before I went through with it and nobody has told me they regret doing it; if it rubs a little bit I don't really care it looks awesome. Ill probably put a small spacer in the back also.

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_img_1732.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_img_1732.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,421
  • rsz_1rsz_img_1731.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_img_1731.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,810
  • rsz_1rsz_img_1730.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_img_1730.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,649
Last edited: