GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Headlights with H7

dizzi6

Has anyone installed aftermarket headlights (Ed's, Helix, etc.) and used the stock H7 bulb instead of going with the HID kits? Was wondering what the light output and beam pattern is compared to the stock halogens. Were you happy using the basic H7 bulb?

Jon B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GTI & '07 TBSS
I would imagine that light output will be the same as the stock housings. I didn't try them when I installed mine as I got the morimoto HID's at the same time. I know it is doable, and you'll at least have the benefit of the nicer housings and fancy drl's.

tpk

From what I can tell, the projector's pattern is a nice improvement over the stock reflectors, as this is what determines the pattern of light itself.

It's not a one-on-one comparison though, as I have Philips xtreme vision +130 H7 bulbs instead of the stock bulbs in my Ed's reps, and I have one that isn't correctly aligned yet. Still its better than stock.

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I tried it with ED's replicas. I think the beam pattern of projectors is wider than reflector housing and it made the same bulbs looking dimmer than in halogen headlights.
After few days I ordered Morimoto D2H kit, and it's night-day difference when installed.