GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SABO's MK7

sabo

Ready to race!
9. Sunglasses Holder +1

9. Sunglasses Holder +1

I can't be 100%, but I may have invented this mod (at least the way in which I did it). So the R doesn't come with a sunroof option (to the disappointment of some, not really me). Consequently, the overhead sunglasses holder is oversized. When I first started using it, I noticed I could probably fit two pair up there. And like most cool cats, you gotta have different shade styles :cool:. However, there wasn't anyway to support an 'upper' pair of shades without stacking them clumsily.

Cost: <$2

Advice: I used a single push type plastic pin (one shown is short) and I later replaced with similar but with a longer pin length. The pin should have a flat a head as you can find as this will create a bump against the compartment.

I simply punched a hole in the back of the rubber insert and made a 'hanger' for the second pair. Certainly the size of the shades you own may impede the other, but mine fit perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 8,052
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8,026
  • IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 8,158
  • IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 8,107
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
10. VCDS Tweaks

10. VCDS Tweaks

ok, ok so the title may be deceiving....I've only done one tweak as pic'd below. I did have to run coding for other mods i did, including euro tails, power fold mirrors, door warning lights, but those were necessary, not optional tweaks.

Purchased my cable from Ross-Tech at http://www.ross-tech.com/

This thread has all you need to know on other tweaks (some my MY already had): http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&highlight=vcds

Added the 'Refuel Qty' to the menu. Can't say that I really use it, but its odd enough to like

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 7,565
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
11. DeAutoKey Reverse LEDs

11. DeAutoKey Reverse LEDs

Now with my brand new Euro LED tails....there are actually non-LEDs in the housing?? Say what? Yes, the reverse bulb a traditional halogen. So its back to Deautoled.com for a bright, white, crisp reverse LED. The pics are washed out, but they are damn bright.

Cost: $50

http://deautokey.com/product/reverse-leds-for-mk7-euro-led-taillights

The reverse lights I ordered, actually didn't fit the opening by a couple millimeters so I contacted Deautoled. They walked me through and offered a replacement, but I opted just to dremel the opening a smidge, carefully to not cut the locking tab. Deautoled has since updated/revised the offering to be compatible.

Still dead of winter in VA, so at this point not a ton of practicing with the R. A few more months of costly mods, but no fun with driving :p

After conquering the euro tail mod and my first go at coding, yikes, I called in a friend to brew his world famous Apple Pie Moonshine. He makes me a batch for the winter and its so damn good....on the rocks, let it melt down a touch and enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 4,426
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 4,343
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4,258
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 4,212
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 4,114
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
12. Center Armrest Felt-Lined Organizer

12. Center Armrest Felt-Lined Organizer

Well a month back I unlocked the center armrest, so naturally it now must be made a bit more useful. So if only there was an insert to tier the cubby?? A quick ebay, amazon, aliexpress search and magic!....there is one. It looked a little suspect on quality, but I decided to risk it. Ordered from china on aliexpress and it arrived about 2 weeks later, as advertised. It was listed for MY 13-14, but it fits my R (a little snug, but it fits).

Cost: Wide range depending on source, but $15-20.

Link:
Storage - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=golf mk7 storage&ssPageName=GSTL
Felt - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O0NO4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advice: It comes with rubber pads, but I opted to felt-line the tray instead. I had left over felt paper from my driver's box mod. To felt the tray was a pain, but now no rattles from coins, keys or whatever else that could role around.

Overall I'm pleased. I may actually drill a hole in a corner somewhere big enough for my finger as its not really easy to remove if you want to get underneath.

Attachments

• IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 4,303
  • IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4,331
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 4,384
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
13. RGM Door Sillguards

13. RGM Door Sillguards

If you hate paint scuffs, why not protect and dress up the door sills?

These sill guards are molded to perfection! There are many manufacturers of sill guards and protector strips, but most don't get great ratings. RGM makes a great product. They are sold through ngpracing here in the States.

Advice: Take your time on the install, because once they are on, they are on. Make sure the top deck is sitting flush before you push on the bottom deck and the vertical section.

Cost: ~$92 shipped

http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/sillgaurds-by-rgm-vw-mk6-golf-gti-5-door.html

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 4,404
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 4,333
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
14. VW Cargo Liner

14. VW Cargo Liner

Just heading into winter and Christmas is fast approaching. Naturally the gift idea requests start coming from family members. Hmmm.......what ever shall I ask for? How about some winter snow, ice, sand, gravel protection. Let's start with the cargo area.

Now us R owners had been requesting WeatherTech to make a cargo liner compatible for our model, but not as of end of '15 (ironically, they just released one!) Too late :D. Latest offering here - http://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2016/golf-r/cargo-liner/

So the first christmas gift idea I spread through the family was for the VW version of the liner. Not really my preferred, but any protection is better than none. This one came with the Car-go blocks, which are a good idea, but kind of a pain to move around with the velcro, but oh well. It was a gift.

Cost: For me (free), regularly $100-120

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 4,333
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
15. WeatherTech Mats

15. WeatherTech Mats

I'm fortunate enough to have a large family, so the christmas gift exchange is plentiful....next up....more protection from WeatherTech.

With our exchange comes budget limits, I opted for the all-weather version which are nice, but I may upgrade to the full-lined version in the future. They have a nice feel and nice lip/groove to trap everything dirt, gravel, etc. Fit is perfect, accept the footrest flap. Needs something to keep it in place.

The mats received:
Cost: $60
http://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2015/golf-gti-rabbit-r32/floor-mats-all-weather/

The mats I wanted:
Cost: $170
http://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2016/golf-r/floorliner-digitalfit/

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 4,235
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 4,296
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
16. Front Door LED Warning Lights

16. Front Door LED Warning Lights

Up until now, I've mostly finished off cosmetic mods, outside of the Euro tail install. So, my confidence was growing. I really wanted to tackle something requiring some removal of something, something mechanical, electrical, whatever. Something with some risk. I came across member golfdave's posts on door warning lights. Now this is it! Let's do it. I completed the 2 front doors only. Rear doors a little trickier and less worthy IMO.

I have already posted my DIY around the forum. It even got picked up by Deautoled as their link for installing their led warning lights. AWESOME!

Cost: $40-60 depending on light type selection

Advice: Consider doing the power folding mirror mod at the same time as you need to remove door panels and probably best to do this only once. Also, my model and year had the ambient lighting already in the door (no coding required), however if your make is without ambient lighting, then coding is required to work (I'm searching for a thread and will post)

Options: LED color options are available for Red/White (mine), White/White, Red/Red

DIY Guide DropBox Link (you don't need an account, just skip to view or direct download on mobile device):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5g03l496...ning Lights Install - Golf R '16 MK7.pdf?dl=0

Deautoled.com link
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262353&postcount=11

Definitely my most challenging and rewarding mod to date!:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 4,211
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4,251
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 4,262
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 4,180
Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Great thread man!! Love the format! Did you do front and rear door warning lights?

sabo

Ready to race!
Great thread man!! Love the format! Did you do front and rear door warning lights?

thanks man! as you can read, I'm playing catch up with the journal. all these done late last year, earlier this year..should get to current day by next weekend.

just front warning lights. the rear mod was a bit trickier and the fronts really light up the ground. felt like the rear wasn't worth it. may do it once I run out of mods :D

Thewhite2

Very nice!! Can I ask which cameras and how did you do the wiring?. That's my next mod along with the install of the Alpine x901

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sabo

Ready to race!
17. Power Folding Mirrors

17. Power Folding Mirrors

I had planned the LED door warning lights with this next mod. Since I had to remove the door panels, I really only wanted to do this one time. So, after installing the lights, I moved to the power folding mirrors. Earlier in my journal you may have noticed my narrow garage, well these come in handy. With a few of these ROW mods now, this car is more closely resembling our ROW friends!

Advice: Consider completing this mod along side of the LED door warning lights. Also, don't expect much from the puddle lights, they are pretty weak.

Options: The mirrors come with the manual control switch, but you may also code to work with the key fob (lock/unlock). I kept manual because I didn't want them opening on fob because I used it daily for before pulling into my garage.

Cost: $250-$375. Depends on source, OEM or aftermarket. I purchased mine through Ed at BECautoparts.com. I bought a package deal for Euro LED tails and power mirrors, so I got a great deal.
Also, if you purchase mirrors with a different color than your car, sell the caps separately for some decent return. When I purchased mine, they only came with white caps. So, I swapped my black ones off my car and sold the caps separately. I ended up selling the caps as a set for $110 and each mirror assembly separately for $120 each, so I ended up paying for the entire set of power mirrors. This mod was free! It took me about 2 months to sell all.

DIY Install Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtdihbuisvql7ai/Power Folding Mirrors Install - Golf R '16 MK7.pdf?dl=0

Mirrors in Action Vid
https://youtu.be/KiHmJYD5gh0

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 4,272
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 4,192
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
New Addition

Well, figured with a new car, I needed a new companion. Welcome Maddon. 8-week old Old English Bulldog

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4,157
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 4,221

sabo

Ready to race!
18. Front & Trunk 12V Hardwire Tap

18. Front & Trunk 12V Hardwire Tap

I've mentioned previously that I'm a bit OCD and really want any mods to be in the shadows, factory look, no mess. This mod was to prep for future additions such as dashcams, additional interior accent leds, garage button. However, this could be used for radar detectors, whatever needs 12V.

Mod: Goal was to hardwire tap/splice both 12V sockets (front and rear) and make a wiring harness with a quick connection for hookup of variety of devices/lights. The tap in front would include the positive, ground and led power (lighted socket ring) and the rear would include positive and ground. This involves removing the center console in front area as well as some trim in trunk. Tap one or tap both for your needs. I know the popular choice is to typically tap power from something more accessible (glove box light, tap-a-fuse), but I chose this way because I wanted to tap power that was supposed to be used for auxiliary devices and to keep the clean feel and look. Nothing wrong with tapping power from somewhere easier.

Advice: Chose the location of this harness tap to suit your needs. I opted for under the passenger seat in front and the cutout access opening for the taillights in the trunk. Other locations could be in glovebox or on either side of the front dash (in the side panel cubby).

DIY Install Guide
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya0k0xlixzb4qk2/Front & Trunk 12V Hardwire Tap.pdf?dl=0

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 4,172
  • IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 4,309
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4,190
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg