GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nokian WR G4 Initial Thoughts/Review

SoSteezy

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been looking at getting a set of snow tires since the spring, and after a bit of research, decided to pull the trigger on the WR G4's. Just had these mounted two days ago, but managed to drive in a variety of conditions since then, typical Colorado... I'll probably post an update later on, once the winter conditions have fully set in.

These are replacing the stock Pirelli P-7(?) all seasons that came on the car, although I do have a set of summer wheels/tires (Firestone Firehawk Indy's), so that is what we will compare them to below. I hope this helps some of you in the market for tire.

The WR G4's are not really a full on snow tire, they're marketed as an "all weather" tire, but they have snow capabilities and even have the snowflake rating on the tire. These are definitely better on the snow than an all season tire, no doubt. They also come in stock tire size, 225-40-18, so that is a major plus if you are trying to keep the stock wheel/look (I was).

Price wise, not too bad considering I am only using these for shoulder season and winter (November-early April here). I paid $152/tire, so just over $600. They are rated for 60K miles and they are meant to be able to handle warmer weather, so they won't wear unusually fast if you plan to use these in weather that is over 40 degrees Fahrenheit and you can even use these in the summer. This was a major selling point for me, since even in the winter we get 60 degree days sometimes, but I also head to the mountains often for skiing/snowboarding.

Noise/comfort: Not bad at all. I did not notice any difference in tire noise. Certainly did not notice it get louder, if anything it maybe got quieter. As far as comfort goes, I think these tires have a more comfortable ride than the stock Pirellis.

Dry Handling, warm weather: Acceleration is worse on these than the stock all seasons. My car is running a JB4 on map 2, and if on the stock tires 2nd gear was useless, its even worse here. I expected this, since most winter tires contain silica that makes the rubber softer and less adept to this. It still pulls decently in 3rd gear. Not that the GTI ever had great steering feel to begin with, but these tires make it feel more vague. The stock tires handle turns better, but you can still have fun on these. The understeer is predictable, you won't be surprised or anything if you find yourself pushing it on curvy roads.

Cold weather handling: Overall, the characteristics above hold true here. However, it just feels more sure footed than the stock all seasons here. On the dry segments of highway, I was averaging about 70-75mph, even through the curves. These are normal highway speeds for me in the summer on my stock all seasons in the summer. It was about 20 degrees.

Light snow packed road: It gets the job done. Its not going to be as planted as a set of blizzaks, but that is to be expected. It definitely handles this better than the all seasons. It inspires enough confidence to drive through these conditions without much worry. Braking was good. Overall good.

Slush/wet snow: This is the type of snow that pulls you in most light cars like ours, especially when switching lanes and turning, or if you slightly veer into the shoulder of the road. The tires do a pretty good job of cutting through the slush and giving you a planted feel. Headed back from skiing, everybody was going pretty slow on the highway (they were doing about 45 in a 65). I was hanging right around the speed limit and it did not feel sketchy at all. Passed a lot of SUVs and trucks. That said, you still can't drive stupidly, and still have to plan your lane changes and pay attention to the snow/slush depth. I made one not so great lane change and felt the car lose grip for a half-second, but there was no drama. Once I got into the lane, the grip was fine.

Wet handling: Didn't get to test a whole lot of this, besides in straight line segments. Pretty standard, nothing notable. I still think my Firestone Indy's handle the wet the best out of the three (pirellis, indy's, and wr g4).

Overall impression: A good compromise of a tire if you don't need the best snow-only tire. It doesn't handle as well as the all seasons, but it'll get you through a snow storm and help you cruise the highways with confidence, no doubt. Additionally, its not going to wear on you in warm weather. A good tire for light winters, if you have summer tires for the warmer months.

adam1991

Banned
I've used Nokian WR for many years, and have to agree 100% with your assessment.

On a daily driver Camry/Accord/whatever, WR can't be beat if you are looking for a simple solution and you live in a 3/4 seasons climate area of the country. Set it and forget it.

And as you point out, it's a superb shoulder/winter tire for most (if not all) conditions--with the advantage of being perfectly acceptable should you find yourself unable to change over to summer tires right away.

I've run them through serious snow, through slush, through all of it--and they just take it, brush it aside, and keep you moving.

Nokian WR isn't a substitute or replacement for the more serious A/S tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport or similar. (Nokian does have a tire that claims to play in that market--their ZLine A/S--but I don't know anything about it.)

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Years ago, the BMW dealer I worked for sold the WRG2, mostly to E46 drivers (often 2nd-3rd owners) who didn't want to be be bothered with doing the winter tire swap. Never got a single call from an unhappy RWD driver whose car was in a ditch, and more than one AWD owner remarked on how much better their car handled the snow.

I'm seriously tempted to get a set, even though I've got a set of summer tires. The roads in winter are usually plowed, so it makes sense to get a winter-rated tire that doesn't compromise drivability on dry pavement.

SoSteezy

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're looking for a second set, I definitely would. Especially if the roads are plowed and you don't need the full on studded tire deal, but the temps stay pretty low (too low for the summers)