GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I turned it up a bit more. There was weird drop in the timing at 5565 rpms. I think this is when I changed lanes during my pull. I suspect that resulted in a load spike which changed the timing values. I don't see any timing correction values in the log. Not sure I'm correct though. Car seemed to like the boost. AFR is starting to lean out a little bit compared to my previous log.

https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-stage-1-87-map-6-v2?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I turned it up a bit more. There was weird drop in the timing at 5565 rpms. I think this is when I changed lanes during my pull. I suspect that resulted in a load spike which changed the timing values. I don't see any timing correction values in the log. Not sure I'm correct though. Car seemed to like the boost. AFR is starting to lean out a little bit compared to my previous log.

https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-stage-1-87-map-6-v2?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

I got to know the roads that I log on and bumps and potholes can cause a quick dip. As long as it recovers quickly you are fine.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Good to know. I switched over to absolute in the JB4 and turned up the boost towards redline a bit more. I'll bet the poor little IS12 is spitting fire. Lucky its really cold out now. =) I may get one more chance to log the IS12 on my way to get the IS20 installed this weekend. Will throw up some map 0 APR IS20 logs soon I hope.

I got to know the roads that I log on and bumps and potholes can cause a quick dip. As long as it recovers quickly you are fine.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,
Finally got my jb4 installed on my 2018 gsw.
Is there a specific diy guide to setting up map 6?
There are several fragmented articles I have found but nothing step by step in setting it up from scratch.
Thanks everyone for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Got my IS20 installed today. I'm still running the stock DP and the APR IS12 Stage 1 87 octane tune:

APR Stage 1 + IS20:
https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-sta...?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28&mark=53

APR Stage 1 + IS20 + JB4
https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-stage-1-87-is20-jb4-22psi?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

Car feels pretty good. Things of note:

1. I am not quite hitting target boost with the JB4.

2. The trims are going high at some points. I currently have my FOL at 10, would I need 20, or more?

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I would say read through this whole thread or as much of it as possible. You want to start by taking a log of your car using map 0 (if you're on the latest firmware).

Oh, you should probably have a good idea about how modern turbo engine management works. I would consider finding some books in engine management, electronic fuel injection etc. With that, tuning the JB4 is pretty simple once you get the JB4 lingo down.

Start studying other people's MAP 6 settings and figure out what works for your car.

Keep in mind the JB4 can only control 2 of the three factors that makes power. The JB4 can control boost, and fueling (to a certain extent). The JB4 has no control over timing.

Hello everyone,
Finally got my jb4 installed on my 2018 gsw.
Is there a specific diy guide to setting up map 6?
There are several fragmented articles I have found but nothing step by step in setting it up from scratch.
Thanks everyone for any help!

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
I would say read through this whole thread or as much of it as possible. You want to start by taking a log of your car using map 0 (if you're on the latest firmware).

Oh, you should probably have a good idea about how modern turbo engine management works. I would consider finding some books in engine management, electronic fuel injection etc. With that, tuning the JB4 is pretty simple once you get the JB4 lingo down.

Start studying other people's MAP 6 settings and figure out what works for your car.

Keep in mind the JB4 can only control 2 of the three factors that makes power. The JB4 can control boost, and fueling (to a certain extent). The JB4 has no control over timing.

I get it. Been working on vw’s for 28 years. Fully understand how fuel injection works. Grew up with d-jet all the way up to current injection.
I was just hoping for a solid write up or manual of you will because I like reading manuals and fully understanding the process. If no such thing exist then no biggie. I will figure it out :)
Yes latest firmware... so do a run 3/4 gear logged as baseline then send it off to George ?
Appreciate your time

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Cool, you'll catch on fast.

Yea, run Map 0, log it to see where your stock boost curve and timing curve look like. Use the Map 6 in boost add mode (keep the values under 10) and add 1 or 2 psi where you want, and log again. Rinse and repeat. Look for positive numbers in the IGN2-5 which means the ECU may be seeing knock, or the beginning of knock. If IGN2-5 are clean keep trying up boost and keep an eye on AFRs. Compare your map 0 timing curve to your map 6 timing curve. Direct injection engines apparently like AFRs in the Low 13s to mid 12s.

Look for people with similar setups and copy what they have. =)

I get it. Been working on vw’s for 28 years. Fully understand how fuel injection works. Grew up with d-jet all the way up to current injection.
I was just hoping for a solid write up or manual of you will because I like reading manuals and fully understanding the process. If no such thing exist then no biggie. I will figure it out :)
Yes latest firmware... so do a run 3/4 gear logged as baseline then send it off to George ?
Appreciate your time

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Got my IS20 installed today. I'm still running the stock DP and the APR IS12 Stage 1 87 octane tune:

APR Stage 1 + IS20:
https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-sta...?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28&mark=53

APR Stage 1 + IS20 + JB4
https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-stage-1-87-is20-jb4-22psi?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18-25-26-27-28

Car feels pretty good. Things of note:

1. I am not quite hitting target boost with the JB4.

2. The trims are going high at some points. I currently have my FOL at 10, would I need 20, or more?

1. I don't hit target either. I just set the target higher to hit what I need.

2. Trims look totally fine on that log. No need to worry until you are upper 40's during peak boost, then raise the FOL 5 more.

3. That timing is horrible. You are down 8+ degrees in some spots vs. the stock curve and Unitronic's curve.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yeah, that APR 87 octane timing table! =) The nice thing is, I can boost to my heart's content using 93 cuz of the low timing. I raised the FOL to 20 last night and did a pull. I changed the boost curve slightly so it's really not a good comparison. In this last log I realized that I probably need to turn off the "nanny" to hit higher boost up top.

https://datazap.me/u/zumble/apr-sta...ol-20?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-14-18-25-26-27-28

It's possible we are not hitting boost because there is a error window. In the subi world there was a high and low wastegate table and maybe another table which basically gave the ECU a margin of error for hitting targets so it's not constantly correcting back and forth.

1. I don't hit target either. I just set the target higher to hit what I need.

2. Trims look totally fine on that log. No need to worry until you are upper 40's during peak boost, then raise the FOL 5 more.

3. That timing is horrible. You are down 8+ degrees in some spots vs. the stock curve and Unitronic's curve.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
WOW. At 4k he's running 5 psi more boost, and 7 degrees more timing. Wow.. I have so much left on the table.

Edit: Just realized his car is buzzed on ethanol! I'm running straight 93 pump gas. So likely I only have 7 degrees of timing left on the table.

Off-Topic: Picked up the aluminum case for the JB4. The quality is AMAZING. It weighs quite a bit, but there are no worries of water damage or any other damage to the JB4 while in that case.

Last edited:

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
Hello everyone,
As per others suggestion to get a baseline on my 4motion gsw running jb4 I did a full throttle pull 3rd through 4th on map 0.
Temp was 47 outside running 93 octane.
Can a few experience folks help me read accurately what my graph is showing?
Really appreciate it. Looking forward to digging into map6.
Jess

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpg
    IMG_3291.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 202

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
For your sanity and ours, get a datazap account and post the logs there.
Hello everyone,
As per others suggestion to get a baseline on my 4motion gsw running jb4 I did a full throttle pull 3rd through 4th on map 0.
Temp was 47 outside running 93 octane.
Can a few experience folks help me read accurately what my graph is showing?
Really appreciate it. Looking forward to digging into map6.
Jess