GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Not sure what your setup is, but for that location I’ve used Borla XS Pro on my personal car paired with a 17950 and it was very tame, but good sound and high quality 304L construction. I actually sold that setup to build something more aggressive, so 30% louder from the BT would probably put it in a good spot on the aggressive side of the spectrum
Here is my setup. Would that Borla muffler be a direct replacement for the MF muffler?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Just sent you an FB message before I saw this - how is your drone at 2800RPM? Options are limited for small mufflers.

With as free-flowing as the CSS muffler is, the drone still isn't bad. It's just the volume that I want to tame.

Got a line on an incredibly cheap Billy Boat catback that I'm going to try out this weekend. I might just do the axleback section, as I like the tone the Vibrant 17930 creates.

Mars1

Ready to race!
Jake - do you have a recommendation for a mid-muffler that would fit in the bend before the axle-back? I am struggling with the same issue, now having an EQT turbo in the car. The volume increased at least 30% over the IS38. It is a freaking animal now, and I would like to tame the volume down a bit.

Yeah I have the same problem. I'm running the stock catback and at night when floored you could hear it from a half mile away, and I don't live in the country. Let us know how you like the billy boat.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Here is my setup. Would that Borla muffler be a direct replacement for the MF muffler?

I don’t think the Borla will make a noticeable difference vs the MF muffler you already have. It’s basically the same thing, just built with better materials

Twist1

Autocross Newbie

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
I have the same exact set up. Just curious, is the drone worse than it was with only the mf and downpipe? Also, does yours also shake the entire car 3-4k wot?
Drone is a lot louder. If the RPMs sit right @ 2k it's unbearable. I don't have any shaking at 3-4k wot. I think it sounds great once it's above 2k. I'll have to try and get video clip one of these days.

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R
How much effect does a downpipe have on sound? For example if I slapped a map catless / non resonated on without changing anything else would the sound change much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
A fair amount on the MK7, but it is a subjective topic.

FWIW I have a catted dp, after install the drone was pretty bad so I ended up changing the mid resonator out to a Vibrant 17930. I got used to the volume and after a while. Thinking I wanted more volume, I added a CSS muffler and realized the car ended up being really loud especially over 3k. Sold the CSS as a result.

Moral of the story is the DP in my opinion is the best bang for your buck exhaust mod as it frees up restriction in the exhaust and can net some decent power gains especially when coupled with a stage 2 tune. Just know that the stock resonator is not tuned for an aftermarket DP and you may get some drone as a result.

thelateoctober

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2919 R
Thank you for the info. I'll definitely be getting a dp then, just a matter of when. When replacing the resonator does the stock one need to be cut out and the replacement welded in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Yes and no, if you just get the resonator you can have an exhaust shop cut out the old one and weld in the new one or you could always talk to GTIJake who sells a clamp-in mid pipe with the resonator already welded in.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Just installed a vibrant 17930 and 1118 on my muffler delete setup with Jake's downpipe. Waiting for burn in then I'll give a final verdict.