GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In gear noise. Can anyone help?

Pete-r

I've started noticing a noise that my '16 GTI makes in 3/4th gear with light to mid throttle at about 2000-2500rpm.

Best way I can describe it is like a gearbox or bearing whine if you've ever had one you'll know the sound, but i don think it's either because it only happens in those gears and that load and the car only has 5000miles.

If I ease off the throttle it fades away, if I boot the throttle I can't hear it, and other gears I can't seem to pick it up either.

Cheers.

The car is totally standard by the way.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Could be a bearing issue like you think, just doesn't become an audible issue to a specific load is being applied. if youre still under warranty I would take it just so they have record of your complaint of gearing whining if they can't determine the cause there. if they are good dealer they will track it down

Pete-r

Thanks guys, I'm booked in next Thursday so we'll see what they say.

I've just come back from a drive and can confirm more detail.

It's only in 4th.
Light throttle makes it easier to hear but any throttle it's there.
Not there off throttle.
It comes in at exactly 1500rpm (no noise before) and builds quickly from nothing very much like an old school turbo spool noise would.
Once over 2500 I think it's there but the engine noise takes over so it's hard to tell.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Manual transmission?

My gearbox whine is also quite audible and it's present in most lower gears, probably 1-3? I figured it was just the nature of a manual transmission... I didn't think this was a problem but am now curious. This is my first manual transmission that I've daily driven so I don't have any other gearboxes to compare it to.

Let us know what they say!

ghost_03

Ready to race!
How loud is it? Mine had a very slight whine in 4th when I got it in February.

The whine went away on it's own, though admittedly I'm not sure if it's because the car is now broken in or because it is no longer cold out.

Pete-r

Hi just a quick update.

The vw technician went out in the car with me and agreed there is a noise but couldn't say if it's normal or not.

Upshot is that we both agree it's the turbo spooling as I've been able to devise some other tests to narrow things down, and they have made a record of it so that if it gets louder or worse it's noted.

Happy with the service overall, just a shame they don't have another GTI in stock to check against.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
I've started noticing a noise that my '16 GTI makes in 3/4th gear with light to mid throttle at about 2000-2500rpm.

Best way I can describe it is like a gearbox or bearing whine if you've ever had one you'll know the sound, but i don think it's either because it only happens in those gears and that load and the car only has 5000miles.

If I ease off the throttle it fades away, if I boot the throttle I can't hear it, and other gears I can't seem to pick it up either.

Cheers.

The car is totally standard by the way.

Do you have an update? I'm having the same exact issue. It's very slight.